Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

12 volt hairdrier.

Question

Posted

The wife bought a 12 volt hairdrier yesterday,she plugged it into the 'van and blew the 10amp fuse..On looking at the packaging i discovered it runs on 220 watts and is 18.5 amps..i changed the fuse to 20 amps and the hairdrier seems to be working ok..I was wondering if 20 amp fuse is too much and is it likely to blow something/somewhere else....tia

8 answers to this question

Posted

I should ask myself why was it a 10 amp fuse to start with?

Posted

I should have said the 10 amp fuse is on the 'van fuseboard which is for the 2 pin 12 volt plug sockets..This fuse blew when the hairdrier was plugged in..I exchanged this fuse for a 20 amp and the hairdrier worked fine.I just think 20 amp is too much..As far as i can tell the 10 amp fuse only protects the 12 volt plug sockets.

Posted

The fuse will be there to protect the wiring to the sockets as well, it may not be of sufficient gauge to carry 20 amps for any length of time.

Posted

Could you run a cable straight from the battery with an in line fuse and crocodile clips. Im no expert so its only a suggestion.

Or get her hair cut !!!!........kiss2.gifbye.gif

Posted

Have you compared the thickness of the caravans wires to that of the hair drier, it makes me wonder if 10a is overrated.

Its much the same if you have a 12v tv

Posted

Aren't most 12v sockets 120 watt maximum? That is 10 amp

Posted

Given that a typical 'home' hair dryer will be at least 1500 watts or more then it's no surprise that a 12 volt one is pulling nearly 20 amps to give a 220 watt output which is probably not too good compared with a home type version.

Trying to generate heat from a 12 volt supply is always going to require a large number of amps. As others have said I always thought that 10 amps (120 watts) was the typical maximum for 12 volt accessory sockets be that in cars or caravans. Anything more than that will probably put the wiring at risk and prolonged use 'may' test the capacity of the battery, perhaps not such a problem if your on EHU with a power supply topping up, but 12 volts systems in cars and caravans are probably rated for stand lone use when the battery is bing used without top up power in the background.

Posted

Sorry for the late reply,been away on hols for 3 weeks...

Thanks for all the replies and info..

I am going to take bi6als advice and run a separate cable with an in-line fuse from the battery..

We caravan with a 100 watt solar panel and manage to stay topped up always.,so if the hairdrier drains the battery too quickly its in the bin.

Thanks again.

Dave.