Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dogs travelling in a motor home

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all

First post in many years be gentle with me.

Firstly hi everyone

Secondly I hope you all are well.

So here's my question, how do people with motor homes manage with dogs during the journey?

How do you keep them safe?

What are the laws travelling with them?

Plenty more questions to come

Cheers Michelle and Andy

Posted

Hmmmm

still got the caravan so not sure but according to the Highway Code dogs or other animals** should be suitably restrained in a vehicle so that they don’t distract the driver or injure them if the vehicle stops quickly.

Official advice from the RSPCA is that dogs are both secure and comfortable during transport.

So since a motorhome is a vehicle the highway code covers this

Posted

Only knew one motorhomer with dogs,plural, and they stayed in their baskets,unsecured.

geoff

Posted

One major issue which is ALWAYS overlooked and brushed aside is PEOPLE in some Motorhomes. Amongst other things I use to be a reviewer for a Motorhome/Caravan magazine and I wrote as it is NOT as they would like it. One of the major pet hates all reviewer's had in generally larger Motorhomes is the inadequacy of seat belts for passengers. Often six berth Motorhomes only have driver and front passenger plus two forward facing seats equipped with seat belts so only four people are belted up the other two have to say their prayers or get a taxi to site where ever or follow in another vehicle. It's like having a six berth and only sufficient beds for four people. It all comes down design.

A friend recently spent £42,000 on a newish tag axle and was like a 5 year old at Christmas with his new purchase, knowing some of my history he asked for my opinion and I said do you want my opinion or do you want me to tell you what you would like to hear he then raised his eyebrows in surprise and said what do you mean so I said, well, I don't want to spoil your fun so he said okay what don't you like so I said £42,000 6 berth and only 4 seat belts!! what are your other 2 passengers going to do for THEIR own safety? it happens so often in 6 berth's, and does occur in some other Motorhomes which are not six berth, he then replied, I never gave that a thought I expected all seats to have belts.

Posted

That the problem I am finding

Some dealers just say it doesn't matter

But to me if there are not seat belts for at least 4 people then I am not going to be getting it.

One dealer has said they will put lap belts In to any model for me £100 per belt.

But the same goes for my dogs I want them to be safe too so I either put them in a crate or use dog seat belts for them.

I just didn't know what most people do

Posted

That the problem I am finding

Some dealers just say it doesn't matter

But to me if there are not seat belts for at least 4 people then I am not going to be getting it.

One dealer has said they will put lap belts In to any model for me £100 per belt.

But the same goes for my dogs I want them to be safe too so I either put them in a crate or use dog seat belts for them.

I just didn't know what most people do

Quote, "Some dealers just say it doesn't matter" To quote a famous phrase, "He would, wouldn't he" it's not their lives at risk!

Secondly, why would one have to fork our £200 for two lap belts which are as useful as a chocolate fire guard on top of a £42,000 purchase?

As to the dog's IMO the best solution is a crate. We use to breed Bulldogs and we never travelled anywhere in the car unless they were in crate's.

Posted

Hi all must be fair we have a caravan but agree with bristles on this one we have two dogs and with or without the van attached we always put them in a dog crate and we always stop between every two and three hours to give them a break ,walk and loo hope this helps.

regards Martin

Posted

When we travel the dogs are always safe, but in a motor home how do you stop the crate moving about?

Posted

Hi Michelle I hope your well, does the motor home not have anchor/tie down points for securing push bikes and the like. you may be able to use these to secure the crate.

Posted

Hi nick

I have no idea, we are still in the process of finding the right motor home

And just wanted to know what people do when out with there dogs.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just ordered them both a dog harnesses and seat belt, We will try them out see what happens

1 person likes this