Windows 10

34 posts in this topic

Posted

I am currently on my PC working with windows -- v7 I think it is, I have just had an upgrade message from Microsoft when doing the upgrades etc that I could now install Windows v10 --FOC.

Is it any good??

Has any one used, or is using it?

Thanks

Maurice

Posted

Hi Maurice,

I got the similar message last week or so, asking to accept and have my PC windows 10 ready for the change over.

I do know that this Windows 8 is doing my head in compared to the Windows 7 we were used to !!

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Quite frankly I personally would sit tight for quite a while. As with most technology in life there can be and often are glitches!! My windows 7 is working perfectly ok so why would I want to possibly start upsetting a hornets nest by changing to another running system when I'm happy with the one that I have got? Furthermore, surely it would be better to let others jump into the deep end, get the problems, headaches, stress and frustration and whatever else and kick off at microsoft with all the glitches. After six months one would hope that after all the complaints the glitches would have been rectified and run as it should let everyone else be the guinea pigs. Just my opinion.

1 person likes this

Posted

And when the free trial ends do you have to pay to keep it or remove the system from your PC?

Posted

The 'geeks' are recommending, as per Bristles above, to hold on for now.

geoff

Posted

And when the free trial ends do you have to pay to keep it or remove the system from your PC?

Nope - yours forever provided you are on 7 or 8.1. From MS

Windows 10 is a free upgrade, for a limited time, for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices (including devices you already own). It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications pag

Posted

You may find this of interest..

/mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/sdvfn01x5n5t/?&th=14deda82b625c10a&v=c&s=l&l=Computer+add-ons

geoff

Posted

Windows 10 certainly looks like an improvement of Window 8.1. Both 8 and 10 seem to be better suited to computers with touch screens. I have Window 8.1 on the PC I am currently using and I have had to add third party software to get it to work like Windows 7. (btw had no choice but to have Windows 8 when I purchased this machine)

David

Posted

Think I will stay with the one we know --v7 and let others come out with any difficulties.

Maurice

Posted

Still on XP here.

Geoff

Posted

I have been running Windows 10 on an old laptop for a few months, it is a great improvement over 8 and 8.1 if you have either of these grab the free upgrade, if you have Windows 7 then there is a small learning curve but nothing like the jump from 7 to 8.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have been running Windows 10 on an old laptop for a few months, it is a great improvement over 8 and 8.1 if you have either of these grab the free upgrade, if you have Windows 7 then there is a small learning curve but nothing like the jump from 7 to 8.

That's interesting to hear, thanks.

Posted

Win 10 is a vast improvement over Win 8 & 8.1

Business did not accept Win8 and stayed with Win7. Microsoft have not accepted that they made a mistake with Win8 but Win10 sees the return of the Start Menu and you don't need a touch screen to make all the features work :-)

Win10 is OK and we have been playing with the pre-release versions for some time now.

My advice is to go to Win10 but not as soon as its released. There will (inevitably) be a fairly major service release for Win 10 around December/January - based on previous experience!

Wait until Spring 2016 to upgrade. Win 7 users have 12 months in which to upgrade from Win 10 release date (29th July). Win 8 & 8.1 users can upgrade at any time.

Cheers

Keith

P.S. Most of the Microsoft Service Patches released recently are to do with Win10 compatibility!

Posted

Just installed Windows 10 on the PC.

First job was to down load all of my important files -Accounts -- Diaries - etc onto a dongle and transfer them onto Marys laptop -- they all worked OK.

Next done a scan disk t see if there were any rubbish etc

Then a Virus check -- all OK

just normal house keeping. got a clean computer...:2thumbsup:

Then clicked on the install Windows 10 thing which was on my tool bar.

Then it started -- 5 mins or so to check if the computer was compatible  --OK it is

Then we went to the  Legal bit -- which wasn't too long and I read it - all decent size font and understandable -- Ticked Agree

Then it started to down load and it took about 25 mins It did say that at the start.

Again another legal bit to make sure you do want to install and wont hold Windows responsible if anything is lost - Ticked OK

Started installing It did say it could take up-to and hour and the PC would shut down and start several times on the screen was a Percentage circle with the amount of installed programme and --Do Not Turn Off Power

After about 3/4 hour looked in and it was all done -- just type in your name and a few other bits and you get the new desk top ---Nothing appeared to have changed.

Apart from a couple of windows warning blue and yellow shields on the corner of a couple of apps --

These were programs that were not compatible with Windows 10 -- one being my Accounts programme -- worked OK under XP.

When you click on the app it opens with a warning that do I mind if this programme makes changes to my HD - tick OK and the programme opens normally and runs normally till next time when same happens. -- a bit annoying but I think we can live with it.

Also changes several default programmes so had to re set them.

Just wish I could turn off this compatibility thing --- It says in the instructions you can but although I have been in to the Properties section of the Accounts programme where it shows that it is compatible with Windows XP Service pack 3 I don't know how to switch it on!

By and large --SO FAR -- all seems OK

Maurice

Posted

My 'geek' is making good money doing restorations where it hasn't gone right.....he reckons we are all being used as guinea pigs....

geoff

Posted

Agree we are being used as guinea pigs. We've upgraded about 6 "devices" to Windows-10 with relative ease, including a second clean install, but we are a somewhat geek-ish family.

Although I was quite happy on Windows-7-Pro, now that I've ironed out the problems on my laptop, must say I'm also happy with Win-10-Pro, but that feeling is also influenced by the speed of the cheap new SSD-drive used to hold the clean install.

For non-geeks I would second the advice of others, wait until about April-May 2016 to upgrade, although long suffering Win-8 users may wish to upgrade sooner.

IMO the signing-away of one's Privacy is a major issue with Win-10. I suggest that people select to do a "custom" upgrade switching off the default settings provided, and undertake an exercise immediately after the upgrade to review virtually all Privacy settings via Settings>Privacy.

Cheers,

Andy

Posted

I wasn't aware that MS want you to sign away your privacy - the opposite to Apple who are giving more privacy including the option to encrypt all your files with each OS upgrade

Posted

I have not signed any anti-privacy stuff either?

However, for those with problems or those who just want to expand this beast suggest you browse this item/book:-

http://issuu.com/esc33/docs/windows_10_beyond_the_manual

Or if still in doubt look at the YouTube self-help videos.

geoff

Posted

I only had one programme that didn't want to load without the warning

"do you want this program to make changes to your computer"

That was my accounts programme -- Quicken which ran fine under XP.

So each time it opens I get the warning -- and have to accept.. don't know how to turn it off -- some one said Windows Defender - but what is that?

The program/computer  is running fine apart from that

Maurice

Posted

Maurice

Windows Defender is Microsoft's own Antivirus program and is unlikely to be causing you the problem.

If you right click on the Icon which launches Quicken, does it have the option "Run as Administrator" available?

If so, take that option and you should not see the message.

Quicken is an older generation of software and it does not obey the new rules when it comes to playing nicely with Windows 10!

Cheers

Keith

Posted

Maurice

Windows Defender is Microsoft's own Antivirus program and is unlikely to be causing you the problem.

If you right click on the Icon which launches Quicken, does it have the option "Run as Administrator" available?

If so, take that option and you should not see the message.

Quicken is an older generation of software and it does not obey the new rules when it comes to playing nicely with Windows 10!

Cheers

Keith

thanks i tried this and moved the slider down to the bottom. Dont get the Windows blue and yellow shield warning now?

might have fixed it.

Posted

Having listened to various ones I installed Win.10 upgrading from Win.7.  As the Meerkat would say, zimples.  I have to admit I am no computer geek.  Once the update had completed I checked my important files.  For some reason a collection of over 800 scanned science slides were missing.  All of my other photos etc were there.  In time I did manage to recover the missing slides.

Using Edge, the internet thingy I found this such a pain. Each time I wanted to advance a page, it sent me back to desktop.  In the end I searched the net, simply by typing in.  Can I revert to Windows 7?

The instructions were so easy to follow.  In no time at all Windows 7 was back and all systems  go.  However there are one or two for instance, the tray at the bottom of the screen still shows Win 10 logo and a few odds and ends.

I use XP on my laptop and consider the latter to have been one of the best systems ever.

Posted

I turned OFF the Edge programme and selected Internet Explorer as my default browser -- no problems and it "feels" normal.

It is still on the pull down menu as an app and it is still there "lurking" in the background  but don't switch on unless I ask for it and haven't figured out how it works yet so I wont be just now

Maurice

Posted

Has anyone had a problem reading an SD card from their camera after converting to W 10.

If I load my SD card into the slot nothing happens and I can't see it in my computer.

With W 8 all I used to do was load SD card and the computer would ask me what do I want to do.

Is there a simple fix for this problem?