Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Extending WiFi receiving / transmitting range

15 posts in this topic

Posted

The caravan/camping site we have booked , and also used a number of times , has free WiFi in and around the bar/reception area , our pitch is about 170 m from the hub . and we would like to get online without the hassle of walking over to the reception where the French come to watch their soaps whilst having their evening Riccard etc , also being limited to around 90 mins of battery life ,and being able to listen to BBC radio on line

I am looking at something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-range-antenna-booster-caravan/dp/B00BBU7BNM/ref=sr_1_120?ie=UTF8&qid=1434031510&sr=8-120&keywords=wifi+range+extender

Do they work ,or a recommendation of an antenna that would work in that price range and distance , I know extenders work , as I saw one in use over the same distance when we were away last year , never got the chance to ask about it though

Cheers

Posted

No idea but is this similar. I have bought from this company acdctv and they are very helpful.

Posted

Wireless extenders (also called wireless repeaters) wirelessly connect to an existing router and can lengthen the range of the wireless signal (repeating it) by re-broadcasting the signal. They are used to cover wireless "dead zones."

You would have to place the extender within the range of the existing router in order for it to work - it won't work if you place it in your caravan and your caravan is out of range of the existing router

Posted

The caravan/camping site we have booked , and also used a number of times , has free WiFi in and around the bar/reception area , our pitch is about 170 m from the hub . and we would like to get online without the hassle of walking over to the reception where the French come to watch their soaps whilst having their evening Riccard etc , also being limited to around 90 mins of battery life ,and being able to listen to BBC radio on line

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-range-antenna-booster-caravan/dp/B00BBU7BNM/ref=sr_1_120?ie=UTF8&qid=1434031510&sr=8-120&keywords=wifi+range+extender

Do they work ,or a recommendation of an antenna that would work in that price range and distance , I know extenders work , as I saw one in use over the same distance when we were away last year , never got the chance to ask about it though

Cheers

You could try an Edimax usb aerial. I use one and it certainly improves reception over the integral laptop unit. However 170m is really pushing the boundary of anticipation.

The site I am on now has ten pole mounted repeaters dotted round the site giving excellent reception everywhere.

Posted

We are on a CC site in New Forest and the wifi reception is pathetic and you pay £10 for a week. We have just come from Ross Park a commerial site where the facilities are better and the wifi is free and the cost per night lower than the CC so really annoyed as most of the time the signal sits in the poor access. Occasionally it will move up to fair.

Posted

You would have to place the extender within the range of the existing router in order for it to work - it won't work if you place it in your caravan and your caravan is out of range of the existing router

The caravan site hub is line of sight , and the aerial I am looking at is ok for outside use, so sitting it on top of caravan or something similar ,the write up suggests it will be able to capture a signal from the wifi hub in reception, also feed back is good

Might be worth a punt .

Posted

OK

Daft question

I have a WiFi Dongle IF I put it on a mast outside the caravan how much would that improve reception??

Thinking of using it onsite in places where the internal antennae struggle if it works

Posted

OK

Daft question

I have a WiFi Dongle IF I put it on a mast outside the caravan how much would that improve reception??

Thinking of using it onsite in places where the internal antennae struggle if it works

I find our mifi doesn't work of we pull the blinds down at night so I go into the awning if needed. Not sure if it would be a any more efficient on a pole. We use '3' and have never yet failed in 3 years to get a signal.

Posted

We are on a CC site in New Forest and the wifi reception is pathetic and you pay £10 for a week. We have just come from Ross Park a commerial site where the facilities are better and the wifi is free and the cost per night lower than the CC so really annoyed as most of the time the signal sits in the poor access. Occasionally it will move up to fair.

I wouldn't pay £10 for wifi on any site - especially when you think of everyone else that might be using it and slowing it up... To be honest, because of the latter I tend now to switch off wifi on my iPad and use the sim card - I find that 3G is loads faster than a shared wifi and 4G is wow!jump1.gif (providing, of course that your provider has a good reception on site wink.png

Posted

I ought to add I am talking of a French site

Posted

I find our mifi doesn't work of we pull the blinds down at night so I go into the awning if needed. Not sure if it would be a any more efficient on a pole. We use '3' and have never yet failed in 3 years to get a signal.

Obviously you have never used the CC New Forest site as there at present and zilch signal.

Posted

Obviously you have never used the CC New Forest site as there at present and zilch signal.

Yes we were there last year and I am sure we got a signal. Must have done as the OH reads the Times every day and I can't remember her complaining.

Posted

OK

Daft question

I would estimate between 3~6dB or to put it in more layman's terms providing you have clear line of site to the Access Point, it could double the distance you can be from the AP.

1 person likes this

Posted

Cheers

I am liking the look of that. With a 16dBi antenna that should give good reception, PROVIDING you have clear line of sight to the Access Point.

Posted

In the end this is what I bought

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009LHWWVI?ref_=pe_1909131_65443131_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

I am sitting about 150/200m from the reception/bar of the camp site and getting 4 bars out of 5 signal from the wifi hub which only " covers the bar area " jump1.gif