Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Not sure how I feel on this one.

20 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm looking for some reflective and considered alternative viewpoints on the following situation.

We are due to pick our new van up on Thursday of this week having ordered it at the NEC last October.

Had a phone call from the dealer today to tell us that the van was stolen from outside their workshop on Saturday lunchtime, because it is tracker equipped the police found it 3 hours later on the thief's drive in Manchester.

The dealer won't get the van back until it has been fingerprinted. If there are not too many murders in Manchester, the van may be back with the dealer tomorrow.

The police have told the dealer there are no signs of entry.

My first instinct was that I'm not sure if I now want this van.

A couple of hours of reflection later and I'm now coming round to the view that If the van has not been entered but just taken for a ride, do I want to wait 9 months for another one? Provided the landrover used to steal the van and what ever vehicle used by the police to recover it have not damaged the hitch and the van has sustained no other damage in transit, what could be wrong?

My current thoughts are that instead of collecting the van on Thursday (provided the dealer has it back) go and have a look at it and see if it "feels" OK and then collect at a later date if we're happy with it.

Constructive views and input please!

Cheers

Keith

Posted

Think you are right there, go and see if it "feels right" first. At least you will have seen it in the "flesh" and be able to give it a good look over.

1 person likes this

Posted

That is a difficult one. I think I would give the dealer a chance to inspect it and then go and see the van. I agree waiting for another one could be a long time and most manufacturers have closed their books on 2015 models. I would make sure that on the receipt something is written about the van's history.

Posted

I wouldnt touch it and I wouldnt wait either. There must be another suitable van available quicker than that.

Ive seen video of stolen vans being driven. Obviously they dont care. Bouncing round corners, over kerbs etc. Could have seriously weakened the structure and the vibration could weaken / open joints.

This is a police chase so different but how do you know yours wasnt driven similarly (except the reversing)

Posted

I would be very reluctant . Unless may be some consolation . Or reduction in the price. If you had driven it away it would lose value . So it almost second hand .

Maybe I'm being too hard but just my view.

Posted

Very tough, my gut instinct says let it go, it will always be on your mind

Posted

Hmmm toughie

When we got our new van we had a different but similar problem

the dealer had a fire in their PDI yard and our new caravan was in the conflagration but they had a display model of the identical model

We demanded that they give us that one we tried for discount due to the loss but all they did offer was free tyrons, free hitch lock and stabiliser and discount on a new awning

which in the end was relatively fair we are still enjoying the use of her

BUT

your van is still there you need to be satisfied that

A/ is not damaged

B/ is clean

C/ is watertight

D/ the tyres are undamaged and I would check their age too ours had 3 year old tyres on when we got it !!!!

E/ nothing is missing (screws hidden bits etc)

IF the Police confirm it has not been entered and the above is proven you should be OK

Posted

I'd ask for it to be returned to the manufacturer and given a good going over, checking everything. Then I'd be happy.

Posted

I'd ask for it to be returned to the manufacturer and given a good going over, checking everything. Then I'd be happy.

We all know though Gary, most manufacturers don't have a PDI department, they pay the dealer to do this and they expect the buyer to do this after use ( wish I could do the same with Industrial Doors )!!

I personally would reject it.

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Still waiting to hear if the Police have released the van yet.

On the "un-entered" front, since the advent of the high security locks on the single piece doors (and possibly before that) dealers now have a master key - just because there is no sign of forcible entry does not mean that the van has not been entered.

However it was only three hours from theft to recovery so the likelihood of any internal damage having been done is (hopefully) small!

Cheers

Keith

Posted

Speak to your insrance company as,presumably, you have arranged insurance. If you are happy after inspecting the caravan at least the insurers are aware of the situation should anything untoward arise later.

Posted

I would reject or at least ask for an extended warranty.

Posted

Speak to your insrance company as,presumably, you have arranged insurance. If you are happy after inspecting the caravan at least the insurers are aware of the situation should anything untoward arise later.

The reason I'd reject the 'van. It's already on record as " stolen recovered ", will this raise it's ugly head when coming to sell ???

1 person likes this

Posted

The reason I'd reject the 'van. It's already on record as " stolen recovered ", will this raise it's ugly head when coming to sell ???

But will it?

If the dealer has not registered it with CRIS then there will not be a stolen/recovered entry on CRIS files.

Posted

Update

The low life in possession of the van when the police rocked up has denied stealing it. He "bought it from a bloke in a lay-bye for £15,000 cash!"

He can't remember the seller's name or how he got in contact! The police have moved heaven and earth to establish that he was the thief which they have now managed to do. If they had not managed to establish this, then the van would have been in a disputed ownership claim (dealer saying it was his, low life claiming he had bought it in good faith from a third party). This could have resulted in the van being in police custody until a trial could establish true ownership.

Police have now established that the guy in possession was also the thief so the van is being released back to the dealer tomorrow. We will swing by the dealer on Sunday to inspect the van and decide where we go from here.

Cheers

Keith

Posted

But will it?

If the dealer has not registered it with CRIS then there will not be a stolen/recovered entry on CRIS files.

Hi all, If on Monday Keith was supposed to be picking up the new 'van on Thursday, I'd say it's been C.R.I.S. registered.( Mind how this stops the scum I don't know ) Mine was cris registered and never to be seen again. Just an idea Keith, check if and when it was registered, the dealer may well be telling you it ain't registered until you pick it up !!and the paperwork stating different.

Posted

If you've needed to ask, then you don't really want it!

I would wait for a new one - any damage could have been done. We had a van stolen which we were living in following the 2007 floods - our whole world was inside and it was devastating. We went to see it upon recovery and I wouldn't want it back knowing they'd touched our things. I'm sure one can be sourced sooner for you given the circumstances, in fact the manufacturer may pull out the stops to help if asked.

Posted

Hi

I would want a big discount if I was buying a stolen recovered Van because that is what you will be doing, the Van was stolen from dealer not from you. It is not your Van until you have paid and keys in your hand a new Van to me is Van not been used. I would not be happy with it knowing the history of the Van. With a good discount I would be able to smile and be able to tell story of Van around camp Fire. Without the discount it would always be a disappointment in back of my mind.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

You have no idea if any damage has been done to the the chassis or running gear when the thief was towing it. I would be very reluctant to go ahead with the purchase as the thought of it being stolen will crop up every time you find something wrong with the caravan. Rather get a 2016 model at the same price as it also demonstrates lax security at the dealership. I would be very concerned leaving my caravan there for a service. Maybe find another dealer.