Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2014 Thetford N3000 fridge problem on mains

Question

Posted

Ho-hum, yet another problem with our 2014 Swift......... The fridge is the Thetford N3000 with LED display and up to now has been fine. We got on site on Friday, set up, fridge on mains and all is fine. About four hours later the mains symbol was flashing and the red LED in the on/off button was flashing indicating that it wasn't working. Switching it on & off had no effect so I switched it to gas and all was fine. Next day I tried it on mains again and it worked, for about 4 hours then it stopped again. Over to gas and all was fine so we carried on with gas. Just got home and tried it on mains and its working again, it'll probably go off again in a few hours.

Now its due its first service in 6 weeks (not with the supplying dealer who I wouldn't use again) and they are going to look at it, but they can't fit it in before. We're away again in 3 weeks and I'll use it on gas if I have to, but has anyone got any ideas what it might be?

Thanks

10 answers to this question

Posted

We had similar with our Thetford N175 fridge and they had to replace the PC board. BTW I can virtually guarantee that you will have this problem on more than one occasion.

If we are in a position to purchase another caravan we will make sure that no Thetford products are fitted in it as we have had endless problems with the Thetford products fitted into our Lunar caravan. I think Lunar have now dropped Thetford as a supplier.

Posted

When we got back yesterday I plugged the caravan in and put the fridge on mains and it's still running fine, typical. I hate intermittent faults!!!!!

According to a Swift forum what I experienced was typical of an interruption to the power supply, we were watching TV when it first happened and didn't notice any loss of power so it sounds like a fridge supply problem.

I've had minor issues with every new caravan I've had but this one is never ending...........

Posted

Gary..........youve got the patience of a saint...........I would be blocking the entrance to Swift or at least the Dealer until they replace it........or at least sort it

Posted

I've learnt a very painful lesson with this one.......

Since 2007 I have bought four brand new caravans from a North West Midlands dealer who offered me deals that no-one else could touch. The first three caravans were good, this one the polar-opposite. Now I know that customer loyalty is a myth, but you'd think that a dealer that has a customer that lines their pockets every 2 to 3 years with several thousand pounds would be mortified and bend over backwards to help? Errr, no....... Their sales team are great, that after-sales/workshop team useless. I'm not going into details here as it winds me up, but as they are a long way from home, taking the 'van to them to have a look at then bringing it back to them to try and fix the (many) issues would have cost me a fortune in fuel. It is very clear from a lot of the problems that no PDI was done (other than maybe checking it had the right number of wheels).

Swift have been very good, as has a local Swift dealer, in hindsight my saving of £800 on the purchase price could well have been a bit of a false-start...... OK, some of the problems SHOULD have been picked up at the factory, or at the very least the PDI, the rest have been down to components supplied TO Swift. From memory they are to date:

• Roof graphics either side of the sunroof badly damaged. New set sent to me from Swift and I replaced them.
  • Rear panel cracked (stress cracks in gel-coat). Repaired by Swift engineer at a local Swift dealer.
  • Truma heating timer not working properly. New software loaded by Swift engineer at a local Swift dealer.
  • Aerial mast seal leaking. New seal assembly sent and fitted by me.
  • Aerial mast started leaking again, to be rectified during first service in June.
  • Bathroom light switch failed. Traced to faulty (slightly oversize) rockers, dismantled by me and a bit filed off to sort the problem.
  • Dividing concertina screen pulled away from ceiling, replaced screws, doubled up on number of screws and used Sikaflex adhesive. Still in place.
  • Internal door seal started pulling away from door frame. Used Sikaflex again.
  • Battery box door catching, sorted with some fine wet & dry.
  • Press-stud to hold main carpet in place missing from caravan floor, I had a spare so fitted that.
  • Fridge started playing up on mains electric.
  • Front corner steady damaged (very stiff to wind down, appears to be twisted) being sorted at first service.

I think that's it. Not bad for a caravan that isn;t a year old yet.........

The moral here is to buy local, then when something(s) go wrong you can easily return it!

Posted

Im not sure thats the moral

It shouldnt matter where you bought it. It should never have left the factory with so many faults. I would be talking to Swift and demanding a new one.

Posted

We discussed that, but my wife made a very valid point in that a new one could easily have just as many faults and we're back to square one. With all the aggro of work and failing health of my mother-in-law adding a backwards and forwards legal arguement with Swift would probably push me too far.

Posted

Gary no matter how many times you change the caravan it will still have a Thetford fridge which will still give problems. We are not alone with this issue and I have a Lunar caravan.

Posted

We discussed that, but my wife made a very valid point in that a new one could easily have just as many faults and we're back to square one. With all the aggro of work and failing health of my mother-in-law adding a backwards and forwards legal arguement with Swift would probably push me too far.

If I was on the management of Swift and another van went out in as bad a condition as yours I would expect to be reprimanded at least........and the whole of the QA / QC department (or whoever is responsible for their ISO 9000 or whatever they have) would be on a final warning.

I used to be Technical Director of a firm and the workforce knew I would support them if they were wronged but wo-betide them if they messed up.

But its your decision and if its affecting your health, well nothing is worth it.

Posted

Hi Gary

Sorry to be a pain but I have a Coachman Vision, with what sounds is the exact same problem with the Thetford fridge, did you you ever have the issue resolved as my dealer cannot get the problem to replicate given it is intermittent.

ian

Posted

Hi Gary

Sorry to be a pain but I have a Coachman Vision, with what sounds is the exact same problem with the Thetford fridge, did you you ever have the issue resolved as my dealer cannot get the problem to replicate given it is intermittent.

ian

The fault is rectified by firstly cleaning the connections to the PC board and failing that, changing the PC board as they are known to give issues, i.e moisture on the board.