Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Caravan Vs another HGV

54 posts in this topic

Posted

https://www.facebook.com/roger.franklin.969/videos/819270788166514/

FF to about 1.40

Discuss

Dont read down the comments unless you are ok with profanities , pretty graphic to say the least !

Posted

What an idiot........

Well there's no doubt where the fault lies but this site never ceases to amaze........so carry on lets hear it

Posted

https://www.facebook.com/roger.franklin.969/videos/819270788166514/

FF to about 1.40

Discuss

Dont read down the comments unless you are ok with profanities , pretty graphic to say the least !

Sheer bloodymindeness on the part of both drivers. I think it was pretty obvious that the car driver thought he could intimidate the truck driver into letting him in, and the truck driver was having none of it. The car driver is ultimately to blame, but I wouldn't be surprised if they both end up being prosecuted, based on the evidence.

I only really feel sorry for anyone else who was trying to use that bit of the M6 and M5 that day.

1 person likes this

Posted

What an idiot........

Well there's no doubt where the fault lies but this site never ceases to amaze........so carry on lets hear it

I can not agree, they were both guilty of driving without due care and attention and also of reckless driving. Neither of them have any excuse for their actions.
2 people like this

Posted

I knew it..........2thumbsup.gif

The car / caravan appeared at 1.57 and at 2.04 it was in the chevrons....7 seconds...........the truck couldnt avoid him without slamming the brakes and risking a arse ending.

The caravan man obviously panicked about missing the junction. He should have carried on along the motorway.

Posted

I wonder if the caravan man was used to driving a BMW or Audi drive1.gif

Posted

Driver of the caravan was a complete idiot, risking his own life and others, using an indicator does not give you the right to a gap in the traffic, he was 100% to blame and to be honest he's lucky he didn't get a smack in the mouth.

2 people like this

Posted

With 1/3 of a mile to the junction,noting the dotted white lines and already passed queuing traffic he should have carried on to the next junction. I'm only glad it wasn't my daughter and four grandkids he was pushing off the road.

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Who needs Jeremy Clarkson to down caravanners when there are pratts around like this. I refuse to pass the buck onto the HGV drivers why should they carry the can for other peoples stupidity.

Posted

I did a ROSPA driving course a few years ago (all company car drivers had to do it) and the tutor's advice in these situations was that if someone starts to try and bully their way in, drop back and let them in, even though your instincts tell you not to. No, not because they are right to try and bully their way in, but it helps to prevent accidents, even though they are in the wrong.

I drive 27,000 miles a year and I see this sort of thing (usually from cars that aren't towing) so many times. A few years ago I'd have closed the gap with the car in front and have my head out the window screaming and yelling at the idiot trying to force their way in. Nowadays I let them in, not because I want to, but because I don't want to become another accident statistic.

Doesn't stop me calling them an a**e hole though.

2 people like this

Posted

I did a ROSPA driving course a few years ago (all company car drivers had to do it) and the tutor's advice in these situations was that if someone starts to try and bully their way in, drop back and let them in, even though your instincts tell you not to. No, not because they are right to try and bully their way in, but it helps to prevent accidents, even though they are in the wrong.

I drive 27,000 miles a year and I see this sort of thing (usually from cars that aren't towing) so many times. A few years ago I'd have closed the gap with the car in front and have my head out the window screaming and yelling at the idiot trying to force their way in. Nowadays I let them in, not because I want to, but because I don't want to become another accident statistic.

Doesn't stop me calling them an a**e hole though.

I do the same and I let people in when I have the right of way. To be honest I do it partly because they dont expect it from a Merc (I also had a BMW).

Posted

Unfortunately the HGV test teaches you to avoid these numpties by reading the signs around you. This driver certainly did, as you can see him snuggle up and keep much tighter to the car in front before you even see the berk trying to push in. However this guy appears to be busy eating his lunch as he happily tows into oblivion. He indicated left and went for the merge way too late, crossing the solid white border for the slip road to do it. I don't think he even checked he had room to merge. I'd say 90/10 against the caravan tow'er but we have to assume the lorry driver could have avoided as GaryB says.

Mind you I quite possibly would have done exactly the same, I have to say.

Posted

TOTALY idiot in caravan! Makes my blood boil how often people have this I have the right to be at the front of the que attitude, the caravan er should have been in the LH lane at least a mile before junction. There must be half a dozen signs, There are white lines, There is slow traffic, But still he demands the right to be in front, Got just what he asked for, If I had been in wagon I would have dropped a gear or two and shoved him down to hard shoulder to keep road clear, I am afraid in this day and age if we let EVERY idiot like that in we would spend all our time parked, I do use my manners as much as poss but often wonder how these people carry on in say supermarkets or fish shops do they simply push to the front of the que ??? Why is it any difference in a car, Maybe it's because it's not face to face, But it is certainly ignorance at its worst.

Posted

Cant see the issue myself....

Waits for the explosion.....

Think the idiot towing the caravan got all he deserved, and I hope the police have investigated and throw the book at him.

I have been thinking about getting a camera for in the car for a while, think now would be a good time.

Safe travels all

Lance

Posted

Coming up the M6 with the caravan in tow, two things we noticed. If we were in the middle lane overtaking a HGV on numerous occasions cars cutting us up by passing very close to the front of the Jeep causing me to take my foot off the accelerator. This got worse the further north we went.

The other issue is cars entering the motorway from a slipway thinking they have right of way regardless and on a number of occasions I had to slow down or even stand on the brakes as there was no room for me to go into the middle lane. The latter issue seems to be getting more prevalent across the country where motorists entering a motorway think they have right of way regardless!

Posted

Coming up the M6 with the caravan in tow, two things we noticed. If we were in the middle lane overtaking a HGV on numerous occasions cars cutting us up by passing very close to the front of the Jeep causing me to take my foot off the accelerator. This got worse the further north we went.

The other issue is cars entering the motorway from a slipway thinking they have right of way regardless and on a number of occasions I had to slow down or even stand on the brakes as there was no room for me to go into the middle lane. The latter issue seems to be getting more prevalent across the country where motorists entering a motorway think they have right of way regardless!

Your point about entering is very valid. Its starting to become common on dual carriageways if you are in the outside lane they think they can pull straight out. Nowadays I always indicate when Im moving to the inside lane. Ive even see it at traffic lights where cars from the opposite direction entering a dual carriageway expect those coming in the opposite direction to use the inside lane so they can use the outside (difficult to explain)

Posted

Your point about entering is very valid. Its starting to become common on dual carriageways if you are in the outside lane they think they can pull straight out. Nowadays I always indicate when Im moving to the inside lane. Ive even see it at traffic lights where cars from the opposite direction entering a dual carriageway expect those coming in the opposite direction to use the inside lane so they can use the outside (difficult to explain)

Fairly easy to explain....

Inconsiderate idiots.

Posted

I knew it..........:2thumbsup:

The car / caravan appeared at 1.57 and at 2.04 it was in the chevrons....7 seconds...........the truck couldnt avoid him without slamming the brakes and risking a arse ending.

The caravan man obviously panicked about missing the junction. He should have carried on along the motorway.

So he accelerated and came to a full stop blocking all the fraffic whilst the accident was cleared instead, nice one. At the speed they were travelling a gentle slow down and a loud horn would have been safer. This is not to excuse the caravan driver there is a sign of a circled hand being pulled down from a forehead that describes his actions.

Posted

TOTALY idiot in caravan! Makes my blood boil how often people have this I have the right to be at the front of the que attitude, the caravan er should have been in the LH lane at least a mile before junction. There must be half a dozen signs, There are white lines, There is slow traffic, But still he demands the right to be in front, Got just what he asked for, If I had been in wagon I would have dropped a gear or two and shoved him down to hard shoulder to keep road clear, I am afraid in this day and age if we let EVERY idiot like that in we would spend all our time parked, I do use my manners as much as poss but often wonder how these people carry on in say supermarkets or fish shops do they simply push to the front of the que ??? Why is it any difference in a car, Maybe it's because it's not face to face, But it is certainly ignorance at its worst.

I hope I never come across a driver like you whilst I am on the roads, with an attitude like that someone will get killed.

1 person likes this

Posted

So he accelerated and came to a full stop blocking all the fraffic whilst the accident was cleared instead, nice one. At the speed they were travelling a gentle slow down and a loud horn would have been safer. This is not to excuse the caravan driver there is a sign of a circled hand being pulled down from a forehead that describes his actions.

I dont suppose he expected the caravan to continue trying to fill a space that wasnt there.........

Posted

I dont suppose he expected the caravan to continue trying to fill a space that wasnt there.........

Then he should have. Put simply the caravans driver created the situation that could lead to a collision, the HGV driver for sheer bloody mindedness made sure that the collision took place. I was always taught that whilst driving no matter how at fault another driver is it was up to me to make sure that my vehicle did not collide with another. Nothing can excuse the caravan driver, but the HGV driver must be aware of traffic alongside himself, he must be aware that the caravan driver is creating a possible collision, if he refuses to take the simple action that would prevent the collision then no matter what he is guilty of driving without due care and attention and also of reckless driving. Then again the car driver is equally guilty of both offences.

1 person likes this

Posted

Let's all be honest about the situation, the caravan'er is a driver who obviously drives to the max, expecting others to always give way at his demands, this one didn't and he got his comeuppance!!

Let's all be " Happy caravan'ers ", indoors.

Posted

Let's all be honest about the situation, the caravan'er is a driver who obviously drives to the max, expecting others to always give way at his demands, this one didn't and he got his comeuppance!!Let's all be " Happy caravan'ers ", indoors.

No driver is on the road to give another his comeuppance, drivers who think they are are dangerous and deserve to be banned. As a driver if you drive as if every other driver is an idiot that you have to avoid you will not go far wrong. Leave the punishment of others to the none existant police presence, if something happens thousands of them crawl out of the woodwork.

1 person likes this

Posted

I dont believe the truck driver could avoid the idiot with the caravan. As I said earlier he had 7 second maybe less.......he had no choice

Posted

I initially posted this without comment , it was lifted from this thread on Pistonheads motoring forum

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1503943&mid=303569&nmt=HGV+vs+caravan+smash+on+the+M6

I was interested to see how the comments here would view the incident compared with Pistonheads , not unsurprisingly the driver of the car ( Merc or as on the other forum, CRV) was pretty much condemned for his action .
What is more surprising is that on the other forum , very much a petrolhead forum , there is a broader view , some condemning the caravaner but the truck driver was seen a culpable as well for not giving way and in essence driving into the caravaner . Interesting

Pity looks like the link to the video is now closed.this may work

https://www.facebook.com/143233165824638/videos/vb.143233165824638/502164826598135/?type=2&theater

1 person likes this