Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Caravan spongey floor

Question

Posted

Has any one fixed declamation on there caravan floor ?

Have a bit in mine I just have found, looked at the kits you can buy , how do you know how far down to drill on the floor?

2 answers to this question

Posted

Hope this helps Roders..

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CARAVAN-SOFT-FLOOR-DELAMINATION-REPAIR/dp/B006MVWRWU

do let us know how you got on with the repair.

Posted

Has any one fixed declamation on there caravan floor ?

Have a bit in mine I just have found, looked at the kits you can buy , how do you know how far down to drill on the floor?

I've done two now (our original Swift and the current Bailey.) You want to go right the way through the polystyrene, so that you're re-laminating both the upper and lower layers to the polystyrene filling.

When you start to drill a hole, you will feel the ply resisting. Once through the top layer, you will feel the drill bit cut through the polystyrene pretty much instantly, and then it will hit the bottom layer of ply. That's when you want to stop drilling, as you don't want to go all the way through the bottom layer.

If the floor isn't one piece, then take the time to go underneath and tape up any joins. I wasted a lot of resin on the Bailey, and ended up with a solid lump of it on my drive under the caravan.

That's assuming that you're doing it from above (i.e. you are able to lift the carpet, or are planning to re-carpet when done.) If you're doing it from underneath to avoid damaging the carpet, then you'll just need to do the same in reverse (drill through the bottom layer and the polystryrene, but stop drilling as soon as you hit the upper layer.) I expect you will need to plug the holes once you've injected them if filling from the underside. When filling from the topside, I've never bothered with plugs, I've always just filled each hole until resin just begins to ooze out of the adjacent ones. If you're left with any resin protruding from holes, you can chip it off with a chisel once the resin has cured.