Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ferry and Tunnel prices

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I've just done a quick comparison on the various ways of crossing the Channel later in the year.

Just for an example I've used Friday 5th June and a return a week later, I've included a standard sized car and a caravan up to 8m long.

I've had prices back from Eurotunnel of £335 and ferry prices varying between £170 and £230.

I read earlier in the year about the ferry companies having to put up prices due to some special EU fuel tax rip off.

I would just be interested to know others experiences, am I just being old and wistful for a car and van crossing for £120????

Advanced apologies if a thread has been started on this already but I couldn't find it.

Posted

due to some special EU fuel tax rip off.

Initially this Low Sulphur Fuel Duty affects Baltic Sea ( includes non-EU), North Sea and English Channel, similar restrictions already in force in other areas on Globe and probably worldwide in next ten years.....not an EU Rip off but a sensible way of reduction of maritime pollutants......DFDS & P&O guesstimate a potential 15% increase in costs, some owners, such as Stena, rebuilding some of their fleets to operate on different fuel systems.

geoff

You don't say what time of day/night your postulated sailings would be, this could make as much as 80% difference in rate.....have you used,say, the CC Ferry cost comparison maps for your rates, good way of establishing what is where and when?

Posted

Until we sold our last van about 3 years ago we used to use DFDS as they were cheaper and quieter because they don't carry coaches or foot passengers. We used to pay around £120 return so I was quite shocked by the results I got.

As we live in South East London/North West Kent we can be in Folkestone in around an hour, so we like to try and cross quite early in the morning on the way out and then motor South to get some miles under our belts. On the way back probably mid to late afternoon.

Do you have to be a member of CC to use the comparison maps?

Posted

Yes you need to be able to log-in....

Geoff

Posted

Thanks Geoff,

Just slightly off topic, we used to be members of the C&CC but never really got much out of it. We're now toying with the idea of either re-joining or joining the CC, just wondered if you had an opinion?

Posted

32 years as CC member...so I am biased....but there are hundreds of posts on here with people saying one or other and some both!

Look under Clubs and Associations and spend a week reading them all!

geoff

Posted

Thanks Geoff! I'll let you know what we decide.

I'd still be interested to know how much other people are paying for ferry crossings or tunnel crossings?

Posted

Do you shop at Tesco?, clubcard points can really make a dent in euro tunnel prices, 10 quid of clubcard equals 30 quid of tunnel vouchers, bit of a faff, but rips the price right down.

Posted

Good call Alan,

Unfortunately we don't shop at Tesco anymore since we moved, Sainsbury's for us now.

But you're right, we used tesco club card points before, I always used to make a point of filling up the car with fuel there, I had a company car at the time so someone else was paying! I used to have to fill up 3 times a week, so we had so many points we got the car and the van on the tunnel there and back!

Posted

Didnt see any code available this year at the shows, you can often get discounts using those, £56 last year if I remember rightly

We are currently shopping around for best price for our summer hols

Will let you know

Posted

Thanks!

Posted

If you are a member of one of the clubs or booking through Alan Rogers, it is worth asking about the cost of the ferry along with some accommodation, either at a campsite, for Camping Cheques or in some cases the purchase of ACSI Camping Card books. In these cases you are seen as purchasing a "package holiday" and this may result in cheaper ferry charges.

I live in East Yorkshire and my default crossing to the continent is from Hull to the Netherlands or Belgium and there has always been some benefit from buying a "package", but I have no experience of short sea crossings.

John.

Posted

Thanks John, I'll have a look into that, we've been using the Alan "Roy Rogers" books for years but using them to book a package is something I hadn't thought of.

Posted

DFDS & P&O guesstimate a potential 15% increase in costs,

But since they made this forecast hasn't the price of oil dropped by roughly the same percentage?

Posted

But since they made this forecast hasn't the price of oil dropped by roughly the same percentage?

Guess most have,don't know about the heavily processed low sulphur stuff....

geoff

Posted

We are booked on Eurotunnel mid April coming home mid June. For Kia Sorento and 8 metre caravan through the Caravan Club cost £219.52 Pence booked end of January. I think it is a good price for the convenience of the tunnel crossing.

Dianne

Posted

Agree a great price Dianne..

Geoff

Posted

Do you shop at Tesco?, clubcard points can really make a dent in euro tunnel prices, 10 quid of clubcard equals 30 quid of tunnel vouchers, bit of a faff, but rips the price right down.

Did that a while ago ,cashed in about £85 in points for a return crossing in July August ,