Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Battery box is so tight.

Question

Posted

We put our battery back after taking it home for the winter.

But it's so tight to get back in . We have the clip on tops . But again they are so difficult to fit back into the space .

Also the wires keep coming off the clips . We had these put on to make it easier to remove and replace .

But trying to get the battery back in the box and stuff the wires in .then we have to squash the door shut.

Does any one else have this problems.

5 answers to this question

Posted

Had this problem when I changed the battery on my Abbey.

I casually measured the battery box and got a high an Amp/hour one as I could. WRONG!!

I couldn't get it in the box with the clip on leads. It was just 1/2" too tall. No pushing pulling would get it in and the clip at the bottom wouldn't grip on the battery either.

Then I measured ALL the dimensions of the box, not forgetting that the door goes in to the box aperture as well

I was very lucky as I took it straight back to the dealer and they exchanged it for me.

With one slightly smaller dims but had the same Amp/ hours.

Oh Yes as well the terminals on the first one were on the top centre line but the second on were on the top edge

They looked the same size when apart but alongside they were different. I didn't think about the terminal alignment.

I can't understand it though if you have kept the same battery, only changing the clips, these do need more height when fitting to the battery

Maurice

Posted

Thank you Maurice. I didn't realise that the sizes vary or that the clips make it bigger . It may be worth changing the clips back the the original connectors. We have been finding the the wires keep coming out as well no matter how tight .

We have always wondered why the battery boxes are so small . We had the same problem in our last van as well.

Posted

Posted

I won't be changing it just now . It's only a few years old . But we do have problems replacing it into box.

We found this with our last caravan battery box this was a small battery then as well . .small as in lower power.

Why are they so tight especially when you have to fit the clips on the top .and try to hold them .

Posted

I have had the same issues as written about above , I measured my battery box , but did notice the height at the front is different to the back , so was able to choose a battery to fit these dimensions , also I had to ditch the quick snap connectors due to height and revert to a lower profile battery connector , the conventional bolt up type ,even then the space is tight

The length of cables , I have 2 pairs ( caravan services and motor mover ) is necessary to enable the battery to be removed prior to disconnection , these cables then have to be folded and persuaded to fit into an already cramped enclosure .
Finally , many of us will need a larger capacity battery due to the use of motor movers , an undersized battery will suffer voltage drop and the mover will cut out , power hungry caravan services , eg a fridge even when on gas requires 12v , the gas heater either space or water will require 12v for the control circuit

This all makes for a fine balancing act , as big as possible whilst fitting the space available

Possibilities ? twin battery systems? Allowing a better balance to the caravan, separate heavy duty and normal duty batteries ? Lithium batteries ?
Time for caravan makers to sit up and work on it