Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dartford Tunnel crossing - new payment methods

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Users of this forum who don't live in the South East of England may now be aware that there are new ways to pay the toll for the Dartford tunnel. You can no longer pay at the booths, but have to pay in advance or within twenty-four hours. This can be done on line or on the telephone.

However, a warning

1) If you want to set up an account to pay then make sure you use the official Gov.uk website. There are scammers around and false websites have been set up which will take the money for the toll, leaving you to pay the non-payment fine! Also beware that as thousands of others are also trying to register either to pay or to set up an account it can often be very difficult to access the official website.

This is the official website: https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

However we had to pay by phone last time we crossed, as I couldn't access the website, and I've just tried again to set up an account with the same lack of access. The website appears - then when you click the 'Start Now' button it hangs then takes you to a page which says Ths webpage is not available. Clicking on details comes up with a 'Timed Out' error.

2. I would suggest trying after 10.00 pm when the website may be quieter

Posted

I would also like to add that if you pay with the account method you save £0.83 each way.

That is £2.50 by phone or Pay Point as opposed to £1.67 through a std acct that is so easy to set up.

Posted

Apparently if you have a BB and the car has Disability taxation category then there is no charge?

Posted

No problems with the official web pages today!

Posted

I have now managed to set up an account after the sixth attempt! Today it is working fine (or after 9.30 am it was working fine) - often it doesn't but just persist.

Posted

I have an online account ,the good thing about it is that I have 2 cars and my van all on one account ,and the auto top up ensures the account is always in credit by at least £10.00 , I realize for casual users a pre pay is not much good , but for me it works

And incidentally ,there is now no additional charge for towed trailers and caravans

Also for my accounts I can now get a printed record of usage

Posted

We only use the Dartford Crossing once a year and as we go over from North to South at around 2am there is no charge so I will pay for 1 use on line before we leave home for return journey in 2 months at £2.50 which is good value. We have never paid extra for the caravan in 11 years.

snooks.

Posted

Just got confirmation from Motability about Dartford crossing charges

A motability car without tax does not even have to register to get through it's automatic

if you have a Blue Badge and pay Road Tax - you need to let DVLA know which car will be used by the blue badge holder and then by registering that registration mark you can also use the crossing for free

Even a hire car can be free as long as the DVLA are informed it is being used by a blue badge holder although this can take up to 10 days to to complete the process.

Posted

if you have a Blue Badge and pay Road Tax - you need to let DVLA know which car will be used by the blue badge holder and then by registering that registration mark you can also use the crossing for free

Not according to Dart Charge web site

You’ll still have to pay if:

• you have a Blue Badge but aren’t exempt from paying vehicle tax

How will DVLA/Dart Charge check whether the blue badge is being used by the holder?

Posted

Not according to Dart Charge web site

You’ll still have to pay if:

• you have a Blue Badge but aren’t exempt from paying vehicle tax

How will DVLA/Dart Charge check whether the blue badge is being used by the holder?

In the same light how will DVLA/Dart Charge check whether a tax exempt car is being used by the holder?

Posted

In the same light how will DVLA/Dart Charge check whether a tax exempt car is being used by the holder?

That I don't know what I posted came straight from the Motability magazine that all DLA users get

but is definitely says that all blue badge holders do not pay charges on the Dartford Crossing as long as their vehicles are either tax exempt or the DVLA is aware that the car is used by a blue badge holder

Posted

I paid for a return but came back after 10pm which is free. Do I get a £2.50 refund?

Posted

Mark,

You've as much chance as a night out with the Pope !!

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

They can't, but the use of such vehicles is by a limited number of named drivers for insurance purposes.

The car must be used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means that other named drivers in the same household can use the car for shopping, visiting family and other routine activities, so long as the disabled customer will benefit.

Not quite the same as using a BB to identify a vehicle for one-off journeys where the BB holder may not be present.

Posted

They can't, but the use of such vehicles is by a limited number of named drivers for insurance purposes.

The car must be used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means that other named drivers in the same household can use the car for shopping, visiting family and other routine activities, so long as the disabled customer will benefit.

Not quite the same as using a BB to identify a vehicle for one-off journeys where the BB holder may not be present.

Quite right Beejay

the Motability insurance allows ONLY 2 named drivers and that is usually the cars leasee and one other person

the car can ONLY be used for the disabled persons benefit so their partner cannot use it to commute (which is why we have had to get a second car for Stephanie)

Posted

To move this in a slightly different direction, our Freelander 2 is a Disabled road tax exempt vehicle. We park in car parks here in South Devon, which allow three hours free parking for vehicles such as ours. But how do the parking attendants know that our vehicle is a disabled/ tax exempt one!

And don't even get me started on why disabled drivers are presumed to be poor and are given free parking?

Posted

To move this in a slightly different direction, our Freelander 2 is a Disabled road tax exempt vehicle. We park in car parks here in South Devon, which allow three hours free parking for vehicles such as ours. But how do the parking attendants know that our vehicle is a disabled/ tax exempt one!

And don't even get me started on why disabled drivers are presumed to be poor and are given free parking?

Had this discussion in Cornwall last year where they too give tax exempt cars free parking - apparently the traffico's were expecting to be given links to the ANPR system

Disabled drivers get free parking not because they are poor

but because they need to park close out of necessity by being mobility impaired - and yes it bugs me when I see someone who obviously doesn't need blue badges jump out of their car and run from their car (or walk very fast without aid)

Then I have to struggle to get out and get my scooter out of the car so I can cross the ************ road

Posted

Member of the new Dartford Crossing Staff. scamp-nicknames.jpg

1 person likes this