How many of you use an I pad .

26 posts in this topic

Posted

I never use my computer now . ( I don't really need to ) and it's too old or full of bugs. So my son said don't put it on . He bought me the I pad a few years ago . It's never off . I think I have nearly worn it out .

I use my I pad all the time .

So do you use an I pad or a computer. Are you able to everything you want to or need to on this .ie photos etc.

Posted

I do have Kindle Fire and an old iPod which are OK for such as forums...but much of my time is spent on either ancestry or art matters which require full printer capabilities. If I was just to have on it would be the PC.

Geoff

Posted

I use mine for everything and have no problems, I am on it about 3 hours a day. I have a laptop but only use it top update my Satnav.

Les

Posted

I do have Kindle Fire and an old iPod which are OK for such as forums...but much of my time is spent on either ancestry or art matters which require full printer capabilities. If I was just to have on it would be the PC.

Geoff

You can use a printer on a tablet :)

Posted

Both of us have iPads, my wife never touches the desk top now.

I find the desk top better for route planning and for excel spreadsheets with lots of formulas and macros, most of the formulas work on the iPad but not all of them and have not tried to write macros in numbers.

Ian

Posted

Some tablets and most 'air' printers yes, my printer is a large multi-functional office machine without the technology to 'bridge'.

geoff

Posted

Printers for the IPad are only recognised if they are approved by Apple. I can print from my Epsom printer by using their app but not every source that I want to print from will send its output to the epson software.

Posted

I have an iPad, a laptop and an old iMac - the iPad I got a year ago - since then it has been my mobile computer rather than the laptop, it's ok for most thing but it's very basic for things like eBay when the app (which decides it wants to take over) doesn't allow you to access parts of your account - in fact most apps seem to be like this as if the developer seems to say "that'll do"

I need to upgrade the laptop at some stage - it's a MacBookPro - bought new in 2008 but I don't think I'll be getting another lappy - probably a iMac

Currently use the Lappy for accounting, website development, photo editing (Photoshop) - all stuff that is better to do at a desk preferably with a desktop :;):

Geof... I have a Samsung multifunctional printer - they do an app to link the iPad to their printers - maybe you could find something for your Kindle?

Posted

Printers for the IPad are only recognised if they are approved by Apple. I can print from my Epsom printer by using their app but not every source that I want to print from will send its output to the epson software.

I found this with the Samsung printing app - I also found that there are ways around this problem built into the app

Posted

We have the iPad but I find it very frustrating that the Bluetooth and some other applications will only work with other Apple products. Th elast upgrade we did ith the iPad seem to produce more bugs than fixes. Apple is no longer an icon and sales are supposed to be dropping off. It would not surprise me if Apple shut its doors within the next 5 years as there are better and faster systems than the Mac.

Posted

We have the iPad but I find it very frustrating that the Bluetooth and some other applications will only work with other Apple products. Th elast upgrade we did ith the iPad seem to produce more bugs than fixes. Apple is no longer an icon and sales are supposed to be dropping off. It would not surprise me if Apple shut its doors within the next 5 years as there are better and faster systems than the Mac.

I find no problem linking Bluetooth with non-Apple products

I've had no problems with upgrades to the OS

Apple will still be there at the end of the world - better and faster systems than the Mac? Maybe - but only in the eyes of Windoze fan-boys lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Posted

I find no problem linking Bluetooth with non-Apple products

I've had no problems with upgrades to the OS

Apple will still be there at the end of the world - better and faster systems than the Mac? Maybe - but only in the eyes of Windoze fan-boys lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Ubuntu is a fast upcoming OP and apparently a lot faster than Win or any Mac.

Posted

Ubunto has been a fast upcoming OS for the last 20 years and it has got nowhere. Until your average uninterested Joe can turn on his computer and just do what he wants in the way he has always done it Ubuntu will remain a very much minority interest.

Posted

Ubunto has been a fast upcoming OS for the last 20 years and it has got nowhere. Until your average uninterested Joe can turn on his computer and just do what he wants in the way he has always done it Ubuntu will remain a very much minority interest.

Mark who designed it is a multi millionaire many times over and paid for a flight into space for himself so there must be quite a large following? We use Win 7 however it has its issues but the main thing is that it is more user friendly than any Apple product even though Apple may be a better product.

Posted

I was just about to say something similar to this - Ubunto has been a fast upcoming OS ever since I can remember...

Mark who designed it is a multi millionaire many times over and paid for a flight into space for himself so there must be quite a large following? We use Win 7 however it has its issues but the main thing is that it is more user friendly than any Apple product even though Apple may be a better product.

I've used Apple Mac since 1984 when windows never existed (MicroSoft was still working with or for Apple at that time) so maybe I'm biased - just as biased as Windows users are no doubt - but I am forced to use windows by people like the Royal Mail who also insist on you using IE as well - IE is the worst browser ever - I really can't understand why people use it - it doesn't recognise any modern rendering techniques nor does it adapt to any of them.

Ever been on a site that is so slow that you wonder if it's worth waiting for it to load? 10 to 1 it has a windows operating system (fortunately not many around) - they are set up by people that think they must run everything on windows

Incidentally - I'm still using XP on doze - isn't that still the best windows OS?

Posted

I have a high spec Desktop, with large monitor, for serious stuff (farm business etc), and to store emails, documents, music and photos. I also have a laptop as a backup machine - if the desktop fails I can run the business on it (backed up and tested regularly).

But for fun I have an iPad. For idly browsing while sitting in a comfy chair it's wonderful. But I know I couldn't cope with just that. I need more storage than the iPad can provide. I know there's online storage, but I prefer to keep control of our stuff.

For reading I have an original fuss free Kindle (as well as thousands of books), and for listening to music an iPod Classic and several docking/speakers round the house.

I wouldn't like to do without any of them; each does what I want.

If you're just a casual computer user then you could maybe manage with just a tablet, but it wouldn't work for me.

Posted

A Tablet is totally out of the question for me the main reason is that I can't put a CD or DVD in and burn whatever I want to disc and send to family or friends or simply a backup of what's on my laptop should it decide to go pear shaped.

Posted

Two hours ago (today) Ubunto announced a new range of mobile phones to compete against the market leaders.....their open access Linux type systems apparently are now making greater inroads into ,especially, the Windows market....

Yes I am still an XP fan.

geoff

Posted

There is difference between the millions that he has made and the billions that MS and Apple have made. That is why it is upcoming, problem is it has and is never likely to arrive.

Posted

I only have a laptop and no other fancy equipment. sad2.gif

It's annoying me by the number of times I switch it on and it says:

"Restarting Windows"

"Logging Off"

"Shutting down"

then I have to start again, by switching it on. rolleyes3.gif

Posted

Geoff,

Buy an air printer - I got the wife one last year and it is connected into our wireless router. We can print from anywhere and it was under £70

Posted

Geoff,

Buy an air printer - I got the wife one last year and it is connected into our wireless router. We can print from anywhere and it was under £70

That is about 10 nights rallying, so no deal.......I scan loads of pictures which I could not do remotely ...

geoff

Posted

I have an iPad and would not want any other Tablet I have a WiFi HP Printer,Copier Scanner and a HP Windows 8 Laptop but with Windows 7 loaded on it. Together with the Huawei Smart Phone I am covered with everything I need. They all work well together too. I need the Laptop for editing my Website as no Adobe Flash on iPad and as I touch type the Laptop is faster to write anything.

snooks..

Posted

Great I got a tablet and it was a Samsung and I found it very usefull but I didn't realise that there were two differing systems . I got on very well with my Samsung and it was very solid and worked as I wanted it to. It had differing Apps to the tablet my son had - but they bothed seemed to do the same job.

However last Christmas Christopher gave me a Apple tablet. 

They are different ! The Apple feels much 'softer' against the Samsung. But with the Apple I am able to join in with things like face time.

We have just resurrected the Samsung and Mary is using it and can see no difference between the two.

So which is the best??

Maurice

Posted

We initially bought an iPad and found it to be very user unfriendly.  We ended up giving it away and bought a Samsung tablet about two years ago and have never looked back as the Samsung is user friendly unlike the iPad where you have to use some other unfriendly app to load anything onto the iPad.  With the Samsung I can transfer photos using Bluetooth, but could not on the iPad as it would only accept files from another Apple product.  A HUGE difference between the two.