Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Boiled battery

Question

Posted

A few weeks back I had to quickly switch off the power to the van as the battery boiled.

I must be wrong then, in assuming that I could leave the power on 24/7 to keep the alarm and main batteries charged?

Admittedly I haven't yet checked the output from the charger as I am waiting until the covers come off in a couple of weeks time.

I never go away without having mains connection and it's constantly plugged in at home. It was last out mid-October and was plugged in then and continuously until it fried three weeks ago (approx).

Has the collective heard of/experienced overcharging faults from the system fitted to a top of range 2009 Elddis, or have I just left it connected too long and dried the cells out?

TIA

4 answers to this question

Posted

Mine is on 24/7 - there should be something to control the charger on the main board!

Posted

It only needs one cell to short out internally, then the charging voltages will "boil" as you say, the others. [Not boil, but electrolysis to gases.]

It is all to easy for the cells to break up and paste fall out shorting, or partially shorting a cell; its an aging thing. It is also a quality aspect but even the best fail in time.

You should be able to leave on charge continuously any "modern" caravan. [ last 10 plus years.]

Definitely some chargers are better suited to doing so than others, smart chargers

You can't IMO measure anything constructive now with that battery in place or no battery in place.

Posted

Thanks for the input, Chaps.

Agreed, Ocsid but I do have alternative batteries I can connect to see if the charger is running over while it's fully charged.

I don't remember the make but was told when I bought the 'van that it was a new battery so if that's the case it's lasted around 10 months which is not so good.

Posted

Bought a car the other day with a 'new' battery - no way was it...

I've got a 'new' battery on my caravan - I know it is I fitted it....

.... in 2010...

We know we fitted a 'new' battery - we tend to forget when we fitted it new wink.png