Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windows to Mac

11 posts in this topic

Posted

After years using laptops with windows have converted to Mac. Was very happy with XP but onwards seemed to be 1 step forwareds and 2 back and final straw was 8.1. Using a Mac is a new thing and not windows based (a positive) and have learned several new things. Taking things at a steady pace and as of yet not disapointed.

Anyone else taken the plunge

1 person likes this

Posted

didn't Mackintosh "invent" a sort of windows programme all those years ago.?

I can remember when windows first came out --Windows v3 then 3.1 etc

Mac had a similar thing I believe, but was over taken by MSWindows..

Take me back to the old DOS and green screens !!!

Used to do my accounts on a program called Symphony -- any one remember it??

Maurice

Posted

Showing your age Maurice. I used Symphony.

A Mr Gates licenced IBM dos and we all the story from then.

He gave away for free MS office with new computers

Posted

In around 1984 when PCs were still DOS Apple brought out a computer that was WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). It was sold with a writing, spreadsheet and database software from a small (at that time) company called Microsoft - the software was MS Works. Obviously someone within MS was impressed with the way the Apple Mac worked, as within 2 years Microsoft developed software that could be operated on a DOS machine giving the WYSIWYG effect - they called it Windows...

Quite possibly the reason Apple is so touchy now about copyright.

Del - hope you get on all right with your Mac, I've been using Macs since 1984 with occasional use of PC in between - in fact I run Windows XP (using a parallel system) on one of my Macs so I can run a thermal printer - even though Apple can be very annoying at times with what they do and how they want you to fit in with their ideas (rather than the other way around) I still wouldn't swap to a PC no matter how cheap a PC becomes

Posted

He gave away for free MS office with new computers

And now the licence for M$ Office is £79 a year and mine is due next month

Posted

I use Office 365 on an annual licence rather than outright purchase this gives me 5 licences for either PC or Mac (which works for our family). Last renewal I paid £49 for a 12 month licence (PC World of all places), you should be able to get it for less than £79 if you ask around.

Posted

I use MS Office 2003 (since about 2003!) and don't want to change.

It does everything I want and is currently running on a Windows 7 desktop and Windows 8.1 laptop.

re OP - I've vaguely looked at Macs as I walk past them and think how they would complete the circle with my Ipad and Iphone, but I know that quite a lot of the bespoke programmes I use would not be compatible - and then there's the cost . .

If I had the money I would have a foot in both camps

Posted

Take a look at LibreOffice. It costs zilch, but you can make a contribution if you wish.

Posted

If you are at your wits end with an aging Windows machine rather than taking it to the dump, try Ubuntu with its LibreOffice; it might be a revelation, there is nothing to lose.

Needs a bit of practice, but we wanted a more "robust" OS, capable of running on an aging machine for basic duties and we are impressed.

Made as a USB bootable drive it enabled me to step over a strickened Windows Vista system to access the data files, somebody here had not backed up too well!

Posted

I used to be a network manager in an academy. We had a new build, 60 servers, 800 pc's and 24 macs. 90% of the support calls were to the macs! absolutely dreadful in a windows network environment. Beautifully made, very expensive but absolutely no advantage over a modern PC.

This is being written on my iPad mini BTW!

J

Posted

I use Open Office, compatible with office and free to download on windows or mac