Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dam foxes

Question

Posted

I am suffering from foxes chewing through the webbing straps passing under the caravan holding the cover in place, also territory marking which stinks , they have also chewed cables under the caravan , I have tried chemical deterrent such as Jayes fluid all to no avail, ultra sonic also fail to have any effect .the foxes also seem to like sleeping in the soft roof of my MX5
So . I am thinking this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Fence-Energizer-Earth-Polywire/dp/B00G3LL13K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421003898&sr=8-5&keywords=electric+fence+wire

around the base perimeter of the caravan , and also areas where the foxes seem to pass through

Thoughts ?

23 answers to this question

Posted

What about an AK47?

Posted

got a .22 Webley meteor , but not enough power to be fatal ,great for rats though

Unless you are a rat that is

Posted

I am suffering from foxes chewing through the webbing straps passing under the caravan holding the cover in place, also territory marking which stinks , they have also chewed cables under the caravan , I have tried chemical deterrent such as Jayes fluid all to no avail, ultra sonic also fail to have any effect .the foxes also seem to like sleeping in the soft roof of my MX5

So . I am thinking this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Fence-Energizer-Earth-Polywire/dp/B00G3LL13K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421003898&sr=8-5&keywords=electric+fence+wire

around the base perimeter of the caravan , and also areas where the foxes seem to pass through

Thoughts ?

If there is a zoo or safari park near you, get a heap of lion droppings and put it around the caravan. Urine would be better, but difficult to get. You will not get a fox, dog or cat within miles of the caravan. We used to do this, but then a source was readily available. biggrin.png

Posted

That had passed my mind , the problem is that the caravan has a dedicated bay in the drive at the front of our house , our drive slopes down away from house , as we are a semi anything we put down as a deterrent , if it smells , will upset the neighbours ( and they are easly upset ) We have the caravan screened with a hedge just to keep the peace ,and also a green cover both to screen and protect

We tried "Scoot" ,waste of money

Also we have another neighbour who actively encourages foxes by putting down food and medication ( she is trying to eradicate mange) that does not help !
So the electric fence is a serious consideration

Posted

If there is a zoo or safari park near you, get a heap of lion droppings and put it around the caravan. Urine would be better, but difficult to get. You will not get a fox, dog or cat within miles of the caravan. We used to do this, but then a source was readily available. biggrin.png

I read that the Lion or Tiger droppings thing is a bit of an urban myth. British Foxes wont recognise the droppings as they have never encountered either beast..........and they dont read magazines or the internet

Posted

I read that the Lion or Tiger droppings thing is a bit of an urban myth. British Foxes wont recognise the droppings as they have never encountered either beast..........and they dont read magazines or the internet

The smell tells them that they are in the territory of a predator so need for them to look it up on the Internet.

Posted

Lions Tigers or I'd of though a local fox hound kennels would provide the necessary? or...some sound advice!

Posted

I read an article and it claimed that the only predator that scares them off is us...........men...........not even women........and that the best deterent (of that kind) is man pee..........so you could enjoy it by sinking a few beers and then going outside and peeing everywhere.......best not let the neighbours see you

Ive actually been thinking of getting a few chickens so the topic interests me.

The article said that the only way to protect domestic animals / birds is to build steel cages and even then use decent thickness material. Chicken netting isnt enough.

Posted

Sell up and move and make them next door happy2thumbsup.gif

Give up caravanningsad2.gif

Shoot the woman that is feeding themw00t.gif

Low cost bleach /acid?

Posted

Ive actually been thinking of getting a few chickens so the topic interests me.

We thought of getting some laying hens as you can get them free through an organisation that rehomes battery hens. The problem was you need someone to look after them when you are away so too much hassle.

Posted

Do you know the name of the re-homing organisation?

Posted

I had heard recently that they were actually stopping giving them away.....reason I forget, but everyone has a chicken farm within a mile or two..ask there.

geoff

Posted

"Do you know the name of the re-homing organisation?"

http://www.kfc.co.uk/

1 person likes this

Posted

"Do you know the name of the re-homing organisation?"

http://www.kfc.co.uk/

Im loving it

2thumbsup.gif2thumbsup.gif2thumbsup.gif

1 person likes this

Posted

Alan you would be better of buying some point of lay pullets, you'll be able to get them for about £7 each and you'll be getting eggs for the next 12 months plus.

If you get ex laying birds you'll be feeding them for nowt. sad2.gif

Check to see if the farm behind the 3 magpies at brinsworth still sells them, if not try Smiths poultry on smithy lane wombwell, all else fails pm me and I'll tell you where a local auction site is and they'll usually have them and they'll be going cheep yes.gif

Posted

Not quite right. Our friends have about 12 birds and they get several eggs a day. Obviously the older ones probably no longer lay.

Posted

Alan you would be better of buying some point of lay pullets, you'll be able to get them for about £7 each and you'll be getting eggs for the next 12 months plus.

Check to see if the farm behind the 3 magpies at brinsworth still sells them, if not try Smiths poultry on smithy lane wombwell, all else fails pm me and I'll tell you where a local auction site is and they'll usually have them and they'll be going cheep yes.gif

I think I know the Farmer behind 3 Magpies........I went to school with him or probably his Dad / Grandad. I will try him when Im ready but I need to build a chicken shed first so Im waiting until it warms up (if it does)

All this is subject to Planning Permission from the Local Authority...............the wife

Posted

Ian do they lay through the winter?

I buy point of lay during the latter half of the year and they lay (virtually one a day) until the come into moult the following year, they will continue to lay but they lay soft shelled eggs and this can start them egg eating. At this point I give them away and buy new PoL.

Posted

(unfortunately it won't let me quote or copy)

Alan, the chap behind the magpie (the son) sells good hens that are very tame and lay a brown egg, however I've been buying mine from David Smith at Wombwell again good hens which lay brown eggs, but his farm was easier for me to get to.

For the last couple of years I've being buying white stars, they're a white hen (a leghorn hybrid) that lay a big white egg, they cost a bit more at £7 each but they can fly out of the way of the fox if comes in the daylight hours.

Posted

Ian do they lay through the winter?

I buy point of lay during the latter half of the year and they lay (virtually one a day) until the come into moult the following year, they will continue to lay but they lay soft shelled eggs and this can start them egg eating. At this point I give them away and buy new PoL.

I'm not sure (not being a chicken keeper) but doesn't feeding them crushed eggshellls stop this?

Posted

Its better to give them oyster grit, but as the hens are trying to lay as well as make new feather, the ideal way is to restrict their protein consumption and the length of daylight in September/October, this will stop them laying and they can concentrate on growing new feathers.

Once they've re-feathered increase the daylight to about 16hrs a day and put them back on high protein pellets.

However to be successful they would need a controlled environment as in a light proof shed with only mains lighting, as my hens are free range I find it more cost effective to replace them each year with PoL to ensure I have plenty of eggs throughout the winter and the following year, I also don't have to worry too much about worming or mite/lice etc.

Posted

Don't you just love the way a subject morphs into another subject, foxes chewing at straps into chicken keeping laugh.png

Personally I'll save on all the grief and keep buying chicken six at a time before they are born jump1.gif

Posted

I didnt realise chicken keeping was as complex

I thought you fed them every day and collected the eggs. Clean them out once a week and thats it.

I had hoped they would help rid the garden of slugs and snails as an added bonus.