Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What did you want to do jobwise?....and what did you end up doing?

39 posts in this topic

Posted

Just listening to a friend whose daughter has a 1st Class Honours in Geology but now runs a high-end Kitchen...so,what did you want to do at school and what did you end up doing?

I fancied Marine Biology but there were limited jobs. Anyway my GCE results were poor so I ended up in a Shipowners as a Junior Shipping Clerk ...up to 80 hours a week, £2.0.0 a week and provide your own bike This was 1958.....

Anyway, after a job change I went to London and worked there until 1976 by which time I had become a Chartered Shipbroker and was a Ship Scheduling Controller and looking after 72 ships,....then moved to Humberside back into real shipping,forwarding and road haulage, three years there and back to home area as GM of a Warehousing/Distribution & Transport company.....when that business was sold I spent three or four years 'floating' as interim shipping co-ordinator and retired three times..so I ended up as self-employed transport consultant doing road haulage and freight forwarding.........and as a semi-pro artist...

What did you do in the war Daddy?

geoff

Posted

I wanted to be a Draughtsman (I loved drawing). I got the O Levels and was taken on by Firth-Vickers steelworks in Sheffield. They used to take about 200 kids every year. We all had to do an Induction Course which consisted of all sorts of tests and visits to different areas of the works. They then decided which department you would be allocated to.

After about 4 weeks of the 6 allocated the Training Manager shouted my name and I had to go from the Classroom to his Office. I thought I had done something wrong and what would I tell my Dad if they sacked me.

Apparently I had done well (which was a surprise to me) and they offered me a position as a Metallurgist. I had never heard of it so I asked my Dad. He said he wasnt sure but he'd seem them in the Steelworks and they wore collar and ties. This and the extra 10 bob a week swayed it and I took it. They sent me off to Polytechnic / University for 2 years full time and then another 4 part time so I hardly went to work regularly until I was about 23 years old.

Ive enjoyed it and its been good to me so I guess it was the right decision.

Around these parts most people have an idea what a Metallurgist does. Down south if anyone asks what job I do its usually followed by "Really.......will it rain tomorrow"

Posted

Hi all,

Good call again Geoff. My schooldays were the worst five days of my life, LoL !!

Coming from a family of ten and leaving sec/mod at fifteen with nothing but smart ears, I was put to work in the boot and shoe trade ( they offered 3 pound seventeen and a tanner, where apprentices only 2 quid ) I won young shoe maker of the year twice and was told by the personnel officer I was " Foreman material ". At eighteen I followed the old man into heavy engineering ( TI Desford Tubes ) working shifts and not getting a mans wage until I was twenty one. At thirty two I was offered by a friend the job of a number two door fitter for a leading Industrial Door Company, after moving through positions and being made redundant started my own Company, Ray Cole Doors ltd ( indoors ! ) in 1997. Been retired seven years now, though at this moment sat outside the works in our caravan whilst enjoying a visit to the UK. Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Went to a "Technical" school had a fist full of O levels but due to crap stuff at school (Bullying etc) and a stupid GP who put me on Diazepam then when they discovered it was addictive he stopped it two weeks before the A Level exams which of course I failed all 4 monumentally though did get the extra O levels I was after

So instead of Med school I ended up at Nursing school

Wish I'd gone the other way and Joined the RAF apparently I was a good Navigator wouldn't have the duff spine now

Posted

Good stuff above.......knowing now what I do know...what would I have done...possibly gone into the church but that is another story.

geoff

Posted

Good topic Geoff.

i always wanted to be a mechanic but was told at school I was too intelligent for that.

Ended up being told by so called careers advisor that an apprenticeship in a local factory was the best thing for me.

I did my time as a sheet metalworker/plater and hated every minute of it. I got made redundant along with 4 others when we finished our apprenticeship and took anything on offer which was driving a 7.5 tonner delivering frozen foods.

Passed my hgv in 1988 and been driving ever since.

Do I enjoy it ? Not at all but I work for a great company and I consider my job to be near the top for hgv drivers. I work for Waitrose.

Looking back I wish I'd gone into the building trade of some form

Posted

Our local self employed electronics engineer went into the church business and now is a vicar in London somewhere.

Posted

Left school at 15 with 5 O levels, I was going back but the local engineering company, Ferranti, were doing interviews for apprentices so I went along for the experience and ended up being offered a job.

That was in 1967 and they took on 96 apprentices every year, 24 each into mechanical craft, mechanical technician, electrical craft and electrical technician.

I served a 4 year apprenticeship as an electrical technician, we were actually called radio mechanics, did ONC but failed it and ended up with a C&G. Later in life went to Uni in my own time and graduated with a BA.

Worked in electronics design then transferred to the flight trials department and moved to RAE Farnborough installing equipment in a research Canberra which I was cleared to fly in but never got a flight as I was the junior of the 3 engineers.

Fitted equipment into a research Varsity and did a lot of flying in it, actually taking the controls on one flight.

Flew in various helicopters with thermal cameras doing demonstrations including a week flying over Hong Kong and getting paid for it.

Spent the rest working with current RAF aircraft installing equipment for the first time and doing development trials in various countries including Saudi during the first Gulf war and ended up as Chief Trials Engineer.

In 2010 returned full time to the factory in Edinburgh and they gave me a temporary job which was awful, still in it after 2 years and they demoted me 2 grades so I retired at 60 after 45 years service.

Retirement is great.

Ian

Posted

I wanted to be a Purser aboard a cruise ship. Tried to join the WRENS but failed the medical test as suffer from eczema. Joined local piling and foundation firm and various other admin jobs for 5 years later married hubby and did the wife o for 16 years. (RAF) Now admin assistant for CWG part time and adhoc out of wool season.

Posted

Hi

Had to leave school at halfway though 5yr had a little autacation with Head. So no exams past. Always wanted to be Car mechanic but first job trainee auto lathe setter,£5 a week left after couple months to get a case making job £7 a week enabling me to to buy Motor Bike with extra £2. Joint Army Royal Green Jackets as Boy soldier spent 6 years done 3 tours of Northern Ireland and learnt to drive lorries. On leaving on leaving Army took up long distance lorry driving. Took HGV repair training course then 2 yrs repairing lorries Haulage company.5yrs working for GLC repairing all council vehicles transferred to London Fire Brigade repairing Fire fighting vehicles and equipment. Took redundancy and started up on my own repairing vehicles. Retired due to illheath. Cut bits short as boring myself.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Although at Grammar School, I had to leave school at 15 years without taking my O levels because we just couldn't afford for me to stay at school - get out and get a job. I then spent two years doing various dead end jobs untill I woke up and joined the Army. They recognised my potential and I spent the next 22 years servicing and repairing helicopters (airframes and engines). When I came out of the Army, I did some training and took the Civil Service entrance exams and interviews etc and gained admitance as a direct entrance Executive Officer. I spent the next 25 years with the Land Registry which, on the whole, I enjoyed and came out as the equivalent to a Higher Executive Officer. Now a gentleman of leisure.

Posted

I left school in 1984 with a handful of O levels/CSE/RSA's. No jobs around so went on at YTS at £25 per week which increased to £26.25. Had been interested in office work and wanted to climb to the dizzy heights of Secretary as I had good typing speeds and qualifications - but couldn't get to grips with shorthand which was still the in thing then! After a year on the YTS I applied for and got an office junior role at the local Council and managed to get a small promotion after 2 years. Left there for a better job in the scaffolding industry (admin) which is where I met my husband. A varying amounts of office/admin jobs ensued over the years, each one a little better. Had my boys and worked part time evenings/weekends for a couple of years until they were at school, then got a term time job in our Students' Union on the reception desk which I loved. Stayed there for 8 years, then left for a full time role within the University as a faculty receptionist and under a recent reorganisation I am now involved in pastoral care which I really enjoy and feel like this is my future.

Posted

I am now involved in pastoral care

Janet

Does that mean you look after Vicars ?rolleyes3.gif2thumbsup.gif

1 person likes this

Posted

Janet

Does that mean you look after Vicars ?rolleyes3.gif2thumbsup.gif

haha - I wish, they might be easier that undergraduate medical students!

Posted

I ran away from home at 15 and joined the Merchant Navy - after attending the sea training school at Gravesend. Joined my first shipping line the P&O Shipping Co on board the Strathmore taking £10 poms to Australia, from Tilbury through the med down to Bombay, Ceylon then Australia - Fremantle Adelaide Melbourne and Sydney. round trip of 3 months - did this for some years and changed companies several times -- Royal Mail Line, the New Zealand Shipping Co all very exciting for a lad. South America, New Zealand Fiji Suva and the Pacific Islands.

I did come home several times and during one of my extended stays at home - I was 21, I had a brown envelope from HM -- call up papers. National Service !!! .

I thought I had got away with it - but as I had been down to the labour office to sign on they said I was no longer in the MN and didn't have exemption !!!

Joined the RAF first for the minimum - 2 years then I found that if I signed on for 3 years I would get £3 per week in stead of the 25 shillings!! and a better uniform. Found that I loved it and signed on again first for 9 and then for 22years. Rose to the rank of Sgt and was then offered to go to collage -- at their expense and if I got a degree I would get a commission.

Duly done this and came out as the lowest rank in the RAF Acting Pilot Officer !!!! Being a Sgt was much better and better pay too.

Any way eventually finished up as a Flt Lt after completing 24 years in the RAF Police.... or Snowdrops..

On leaving I was offered a job in London at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office travelling around the world setting up security systems in our offices and for clients. One of the biggest was the Ministry of Health in Saudi Arabia where they were having a massive hospital buildings programme. I and the team put in all the systems over there.

During my holidays with the C&FO I took trips across Africa - Kenya to the Cape, and twice across Australia. All in VW camper-vans.

Eventually came back to the UK after being involved -- against my will in the first Gulf War and worked for the UK Health Service. Ending up as Regional Engineer for Oxford Region.

Got sick etc etc so decided to get my money back from the health service. Then I retired.

Now sitting at home doing nowt.

But not had a too bad a time.

Maurice

Posted

All these life stories make mine look very boring and ordinary.

I went to a girls Grammar School where we were streamed and the A stream was expected to go to University so I duly applied to read English - no career in mind. My grades weren't good enough (maybe because I had met my future husband?) so I was advised by the school to apply for teacher training (which was what the second best girls did - it was a very traditional old fashioned school). So I went to college and qualified as Primary school teacher.

I then got married and got a job in a boys Junior school.

I left after two years and brought up three children.

When the youngest was ten I started to look for a job (no childcare so no chance before - and I liked being at home).

Teaching had moved on (though I had been a parent governer and volunteer at the village school) so I applied for anything and everything. Eventually I got a job as a wages clerk in a local shoe factory, and when they brought their retail shops into the 20th Century with electronic tills I began my life in IT - training and supporting the store staff and getting used to handling data.

But, the firm was taken over and thy didn't need two Epos departments so I was made redundant. I bought a Mini Cooper (the other love in my life) and took a course in computing at the local college.

I was very lucky to be offered a job by a well known (more so now) Kitchenware company and stayed with them for nearly 20 years, covering support of the old computer systems (BM - Before Microsoft) and then the new system that is still in place, and ending up as an almost full time Data Analyst.

But in 2010 after our summer holiday I realised I didn't want to go back - some of the fun had gone out of it - and on Christmas Eve 2010 I walked out for the last time.

I may have retired from paid employment, but I will never retire from one of the other loves in my live - Farming.

There's still no time to get away - but at least I don't have to check my rota if we see a chance of a couple of days in the caravan.

Sorry - this has been a bit of a long waffle!

1 person likes this

Posted

I wanted to be a Draughtsman (I loved drawing). I got the O Levels and was taken on by Firth-Vickers steelworks in Sheffield. They used to take about 200 kids every year. We all had to do an Induction Course which consisted of all sorts of tests and visits to different areas of the works. They then decided which department you would be allocated to.

After about 4 weeks of the 6 allocated the Training Manager shouted my name and I had to go from the Classroom to his Office. I thought I had done something wrong and what would I tell my Dad if they sacked me.

Apparently I had done well (which was a surprise to me) and they offered me a position as a Metallurgist. I had never heard of it so I asked my Dad. He said he wasnt sure but he'd seem them in the Steelworks and they wore collar and ties. This and the extra 10 bob a week swayed it and I took it. They sent me off to Polytechnic / University for 2 years full time and then another 4 part time so I hardly went to work regularly until I was about 23 years old.

Ive enjoyed it and its been good to me so I guess it was the right decision.

Around these parts most people have an idea what a Metallurgist does. Down south if anyone asks what job I do its usually followed by "Really.......will it rain tomorrow"

Metel urgest?, someone who cheers on rock bands perhaps

Posted

I didn't really know what I wanted to do when I left school. In quick time I was a carpet fitter, factory work and civil servant before my parents decided they were moving to Germany. I didn't want to go but couldn't see how I could afford to stay in England on the pittance I was earning so I joined the RAF as an Electronics Technician - more money and somewhere to live!

9 years later I'd had enough of that so I left and got a job selling pest control. Lasted a year in that then worked as a self employed courier for 18 months. Got fed up with that (and my bike died!) so got a job back in electronics, fixing ATMs for Philips. Stayed there for 18 years (although they weren't Philips for very long, several buyouts along the way), changing jobs as the business changed, moving into computers. Ended up training people to fix laptops before being made redundant 6 years ago.

No clue what to do then so I became a Basic Skills Tutor in the Welfare to Work industry, teaching adults literacy and numeracy. Worked unpaid for four months, went to college to get various qualifications and finally got a paid job working for the YMCA!

General Election, government change, contracts cancelled and I was transferred into my current role as an Employment Advisor - still working in the Welfare to Work Industry.

Who knows what's around the corner though?

Posted

Metel urgest?, someone who cheers on rock bands perhaps

When Im not working

BTW the pronunciation is another north south divide2thumbsup.gif2thumbsup.gif2thumbsup.gif

Posted

Always wanted to be a Master Brewer, but couldn't find an apprenticeship.................so finished up being a very successful independent beer taster.beak.gif

Seriously though, the list of jobs I have done is just too long but have involved working in the UK, South Africa, Australia & the USA.

Posted

Always wanted to be a Master Brewer, but couldn't find an apprenticeship.................so finished up being a very successful independent beer taster.beak.gif

Seriously though, the list of jobs I have done is just too long but have involved working in the UK, South Africa, Australia & the USA.

That is a 'cop out' of an answer Alan.....

geoff

Posted

That is a 'cop out' of an answer Alan.....

geoff

"Guilty" as charged, Guv.whistling.gif

Posted

Interesting reading what others have done.

Posted

Are there any other ex Merchant Navy people out there.

I know that the British Merchant Navy is now one of the smallest in the world -- by registered tonnage.

We used to have the largest in the world --- but now where are we??

Some one MUST know as we are the font of all knowledge in here.

Maurice

Posted

Are there any other ex Merchant Navy people out there.

I know that the British Merchant Navy is now one of the smallest in the world -- by registered tonnage.

We used to have the largest in the world --- but now where are we??

Some one MUST know as we are the font of all knowledge in here.

Maurice

wikipedia is the oracle

11th according to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_merchant_navy_capacity_by_country