Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Phony emails from British Telecoms

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Opened up my computer today first time since before Christmas..

Over 200 emails..

Updated my virus software as I opened up, it had not been done since 21Dec!!

Got one from BT asking me that the couldn't access my bank details as my bank card had been changed -[it had by us a couple of weeks ago]

Any way I was to contact them on a link -- ending in-- ebilling BT.com -- and I could reset my account.

I did click on it and suddenly my computer kicked into life and my Virus software [ESET NOD32] said that this was a Phishing site and wouldn't let me go to it.

Whoops!!!

So pulled out of it

Then I found another one dated 16th October2014 this time in what looked like typewriter text saying they had noticed suspicious activity on my account. I scanned it with the Anti Virus program and it came up as another one.

So I telephoned BT emergency line and spoke to a very nice person who said my account was OK nothing wrong with it.

I was to forward both of the emails to Abuse@bt.com who would deal with them.

Did that and have had two emails back from them saying thank you etc. and they will follow them up.

Thought I would put this in here as a reminder.

The emails had all the correct Logos and addresses and my account number etc.

Be careful and up date your software etc.

Maurice

Posted

These sorts of e-mails are very common. Unless they are addressed to me personally by name I just bin them, can't even be bothered to report them. Have enough trouble with BT demanding I reset my password virtually on a monthly basis as it is, should add this is not by e-mail.

David

Posted

If you place your cursor, but don't click, over the blued links then at the bottom left of the "window" you ought to get where that link would take you. If that looks unhealthy in anyway don't go there; by unhealthy is anything other that a clear unembellished link to whom it is purported to be from. Their name might be included in there but don't be fooled by that look at the whole thing in particular the country identifier for where the server is sited.

Then if you are still not happy close the email and access your bank account via your browser, via its genuine address or pick up the phone; if all hell is going wrong with your account they will know about it.

We unfortunately live in a wicked world, always think of that first.

Posted

I use Outlook for my email and before I even download any email I use MailwasherFree to filter out spam and stuff I don't need

Somedays I read all my emails there and delete everything without downloading them to the computer

the program tells me if there are attachments if it is a potentially dangerous email or just plain spam and it learns from what I tell it to delete what I don't want also I can pick Friends which it doesn't mark for deletion

being the free version it only can be used on one account but that's all I need it for and the best thing it shows me all the links in full at the click of a tab so if I am suspicious an email never actually reaches my machine

worth a try

Posted

Don't your duff ones get directed into Spam automatically, if not you should adjust your settings...

Geoff

Posted

all though my virus programs didn't pick it up when it came in, when I went to look at it it brought up the warning messages, saying it was a "Phish" I don't know what that is apart from it was dodgy, so I stopped using it.

Looked at my phone bill and got the number to ring for suspicious messages. The young lady said to forward it to the abuse address, and it will be checked out.

Later I got an email back thanking me for submitting a potentially dangerous mail.

I will still take care in the future.

Maurice

Posted

You should all get some decent anti-virus software. These freebies create more problems than they resolve. I use F Secure and its about £25 per year. I dont have problems with these dodgy emails.

As with everything in life.............you get what you pay for

Posted

You should all get some decent anti-virus software. These freebies create more problems than they resolve. I use F Secure and its about £25 per year. I dont have problems with these dodgy emails.

Many many people would disagree with you. An anti virus program is only as good as the person using a computer will allow. Programs such as AVG and Avast are as good at the job of anti virus as any other anti virus programs, they are in general spin offs from commercial programs and are for use in domestic circumstances, they gave the same engines as the commercial programs but lack some of the extra cover which only large scale private networks require. They are provided by these companies purely to regulate viruses that might otherwise infect the wider network and make the job of protecting commercial networks much more difficult.

if people took simple precautions like not following links in emails from companies they recognise asking for account details and the like, but simply took the precaution of contacting them directly using the phone or from links they gave typed into their browsers then all this sort of problem would disappear. However, many people are gullible and see what gives the appearance of genuine emails and follow links, this is the wrong thing yo do. Remember no company will contact you to ask you anything about your account, they will only contact you in order to ask you to contact them using otherwise communicated addresses and telephone numbers.

1 person likes this

Posted

My anti virus software was not free!

[ESET NOD 32]

I pay an anual subscription and it checks for up dates several times an hour.

This is what is used in the local government office and the local library and hopefully they have got it right.

After all it did pick it up and wouldn't alow me to proceed.

Maurice

Posted

My anti virus software was not free!

[ESET NOD 32]

I pay an anual subscription and it checks for up dates several times an hour.

This is what is used in the local government office and the local library and hopefully they have got it right.

After all it did pick it up and wouldn't alow me to proceed.

Maurice

Sorry I thought it hadnt worked

goes to show that Im right then...........

Posted

For what it's worth, I rate ESET as the current "Cream of the Crop". I work with PCs & networks for the day job.

Until a couple of years ago I would have recommended McAfee but since their acquisition by Intel, the product has become bloated and slow - particularly if you are still using it with XP.

If you really are not prepared to pay for proper protection then the free offering of Defender from Microsoft has a lot going for it. Oddly though, the Defender Offline option (start your PC from a CD and then scan without Windows actually running) will find Viruses that it's "real time" sibling cant! I suppose the answer is what do you expect for free . . .

As for Symantec's Anti-Virus offering, I think there is a case to be made under the Trade Descriptions Act regarding its being allowed to call itself an Anti-Virus product.

I realise there will now be a bit of a spat with people posting about how they have always used various freebie offerings and have never had a problem and if they are happy then that is fine. It's like our choice of Caravans, you will get a die-hard Bailey owner who won't even admit to having stepped inside a Swift and those who change their vans because they like the colour of the window mastic on one van compared with another.

The better brains are working for the baddies and most Anti-Virus products are playing "catch-up", someone has to get the Virus and submit it for analysis before a cure can be found.

Is your data safe? The best I can offer is that the baddies are so overwhelmed with data from compromised PCs that they can't cope. This has lead to the resurgence of targeted attacks like the ones where "Microsoft" call you up and then persuade you to let them have access to your PC, or they are using 100's of compromised PCs acting together to mount an attack on a company.

Doing something is better than doing nothing but there is no "magic bullet", ESET produce regular updates, respond very quickly to new threats, don't impinge on the normal operation of your PC and has a very simple user interface.

Other than using ESET on a day to day basis, I have no connection with the company and am just as likely to be singing the praises of another product in the future!

Cheers

Keith

1 person likes this

Posted

I have been using ESET for a number of years and the biggest boon is that it catches nearly all spam mail.

Posted

I find it hard to understand why people will spend hundreds of pounds on computer equipment and then wont fork out £25 to protect it. Instead downloading programs that could well be infected and create more problems.

People think they can stop these scammers all on their own but its not just emails. Ive never had a problem binning any email I think is dodgy. Its the links on facebook and other social sites that seem to be the biggest threat. My anti-virus often "dislikes" links sent me by friends and family.

Posted

Sorry I thought it hadnt worked

goes to show that Im right then...........

That was the impression that it gave me too...

geoff

Posted

Just out of interest could you give your opinion of Eset Smart Security package which also includes anti virus, I have used McAfee for years, thanks.

Forgot to link it to a posting.

Posted

For what it's worth, I rate ESET as the current "Cream of the Crop". I work with PCs & networks for the day job.

Until a couple of years ago I would have recommended McAfee but since their acquisition by Intel, the product has become bloated and slow - particularly if you are still using it with XP.

If you really are not prepared to pay for proper protection then the free offering of Defender from Microsoft has a lot going for it. Oddly though, the Defender Offline option (start your PC from a CD and then scan without Windows actually running) will find Viruses that it's "real time" sibling cant! I suppose the answer is what do you expect for free . . .

As for Symantec's Anti-Virus offering, I think there is a case to be made under the Trade Descriptions Act regarding its being allowed to call itself an Anti-Virus product.

I realise there will now be a bit of a spat with people posting about how they have always used various freebie offerings and have never had a problem and if they are happy then that is fine. It's like our choice of Caravans, you will get a die-hard Bailey owner who won't even admit to having stepped inside a Swift and those who change their vans because they like the colour of the window mastic on one van compared with another.

The better brains are working for the baddies and most Anti-Virus products are playing "catch-up", someone has to get the Virus and submit it for analysis before a cure can be found.

Is your data safe? The best I can offer is that the baddies are so overwhelmed with data from compromised PCs that they can't cope. This has lead to the resurgence of targeted attacks like the ones where "Microsoft" call you up and then persuade you to let them have access to your PC, or they are using 100's of compromised PCs acting together to mount an attack on a company.

Doing something is better than doing nothing but there is no "magic bullet", ESET produce regular updates, respond very quickly to new threats, don't impinge on the normal operation of your PC and has a very simple user interface.

Other than using ESET on a day to day basis, I have no connection with the company and am just as likely to be singing the praises of another product in the future!

Cheers

Keith

Just out of interest could you give your opinion of Eset Smart Security package which also includes anti virus, I have used McAfee for years, thanks.

Posted

My 'geek' strips Macafee and Norton off new Laptops...doesn't like Kaspersky either.

Geoff