Followers 0

Forget reversing your caravan - Volkswagen's Trailer Assist

20 posts in this topic

Posted

http://youtu.be/3ruB5XYObtQ

Practical Caravan tests Volkswagen's Trailer Assist

1 person likes this

Posted

I expect that it would be an expensive accessory however since I have been managing since 1970 I prefer to be in control and will continue to do so, Interesting though whatever next.

Posted

I have got Park Assist on my Tiguan. Never used it and I would never use that either. Very expensive gimick!!!!undecided.gif

Posted

Awesome. Its a shame Ive stopped towing.

Ive got ParkAssist on the Merc and I love it. Use it regular. I can get into spaces I wouldnt be able to without it.

Posted

Come on Al !

If you can't park your car without park assist you shouldn't be driving. BTW if you need park assist to get into tight parking spots, how do you get out ?? LoL !!

Happy caravanning, indoors,

Posted

Come on Al !

If you can't park your car without park assist you shouldn't be driving. BTW if you need park assist to get into tight parking spots, how do you get out ?? LoL !!

Happy caravanning, indoors,

I get out the same way as I get in..............I love it...............Im thinking of changing the car next year and whatever I get will have park assist

Posted

Al,

Can they actually drive out of the parking spot as well then ??

If so how does it know you've looked over your right shoulder for traffic coming past ?

All too blxxdy complicated for me, mind these computers are too.

BTW: Did you see that traffic cops programme on the other day, Where a lady was parked up in the outside lane of the M1 in a brand new Freelander Evoque, the cops couldn't shift it as it was all electrical gadgetry, they couldn't even release the electric handbrake !!

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

When I was taught to drive in the mid sixties the instructor emphasized that the driver must be in control of the vehicle at all times. That means no coasting amongst other things, no stearing with knees whilst rolling a fag etc etc. Electronics can and has always thrown wobblies in every sort of equipment from machinery to service tills to aircraft and mobile phones and in many cases been the outright cause of failure and also which has led to death on occassions. I prefer to know what my vehicle is doing at my pace and be in full control all the time.

Posted

Al,

Can they actually drive out of the parking spot as well then ??

If so how does it know you've looked over your right shoulder for traffic coming past ?

All too blxxdy complicated for me, mind these computers are too.

BTW: Did you see that traffic cops programme on the other day, Where a lady was parked up in the outside lane of the M1 in a brand new Freelander Evoque, the cops couldn't shift it as it was all electrical gadgetry, they couldn't even release the electric handbrake !!

I dont mean the self steering bit just the sensors. They are brilliant.

Mine has 3 handbrakes, the P on the auto gearbox, the standard Merc foot pedal on hand pull off and a 3rd one, if you press the footbrake twice the handbrake comes on. Its great in traffic jams..........just need to remember which one youve used

I suppose with a HiLux you dont need sensors......just push them out of the way

Posted

Who do you blame if your park assist goes wrong and smashes into an adjacent parked car?

That's why I have never used mine!

Posted

Hi John,

I suppose answering the injured party you'd have to admit guilt as you are in charge of the vehicle. It would then be up to you to try and claim against the manufacturer. Remember I wrote try !!!

Posted

I would expect the chances of it going wrong are much less than you going wrong (human error)

Everybody thinks their driving is perfect which is why most accident claims blame the other driver

1 person likes this

Posted

To use it, have I got to sell the Swift buy a Knaus and have my steering wheel moved to the wrong side?

Cheers

Keith

Posted

The test vehicle being a Golf ( with a short overhang ) with a Knaus ( with a long A frame ) would be an ideal easy reverse set up anyway. We used to pave the way and others follow. Again it goes back to our first of seven new German caravans in 2000 our T.E.C. had a longer A frame, 7'6" Wide, ALKO Euro axle, Shock absorbers, 14" Ali wheels, Fridge & Freezer, Loose carpets, Fixed bed + more, and it was an all Ali front that wasn't made of milk bottle tops ??

Posted

I don't take the negative view that some here are adopting, it is a natural development exploiting available technology. Whilst I generally make a good job of reversing, and I am very experienced at doing so with all manner of trailers, there are times it does not go quite as I would wish.
Re "Park Assist", my wife's Golf Mk7 has it and I am mightily impressed with it. Of course I can reverse into and get out of parallel and rear in parking spots, probably as competent as most can, but to be honest, I can't judge that I have still 35 mm clearance at any corner nor can I physically wang the steering round at the speeds needed to accomplish super tight parking. Unaided, I am likely to need to give myself 150mm of clearance to be confident of avoiding contact.
I will admit we both needed the reassurance of an outside observer before we gained confidence it really can work as well as it does.
Also, it does not take over or be essential, you determine if you want it or not, in any situation; in large slots we don't bother, it's that super tight one the only option available that others can't risk where it comes into its own. It measures the space and does not guess as we do, it knows if it will be adequate or not.
It is stupid to question who is in charge; you are just as you are at all times; you don't do the manoeuvre if you know it is dangerous to do so.
If buying a new Golf again we would specify it; I have nothing to prove about my parking ability.

Posted

I for one don't think it is " stupid to question " as John did, in fact looking again at the clip, the system still has many faults.

1/ Steering turning full lock before car moving in either direction.( can't be good for tyres )

2/ The driver still has to see obstacles and stop vehicle. ( Will the caravan need to have parking sensors )

3/ All that system is doing really is turning the wheel and moving the vehicle on your command. ( After the first manoeuvre around the cones it was up to the driver the determine to stop the vehicle before 'van hit the cones and then move forward to realign the rig !! ).

I personally would like to have seen an aerial view and would only agree it being a success if the system did the manoeuvre from start to park without the emphasis on the driver to know when to stop, as surely we are back where we started, without a banksman objects are gonna get hit. !!!

Just MO, Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Ray my statement re Park Assist was "It is stupid to question who is in charge; you are just as you are at all times; you don't do the manoeuvre if you know it is dangerous to do so".

I can't see any insurer etc coming to any other conclusion; whatever aids the vehicle has, if you are sat in the driving seat you would be held responsible?

​In respect to the trailer reversing, yes until the technology extends to integrating in distance sensors then the driver is going to have to be aware of what is there to foul, and of course it can't do manoeuvres that physically require some shunting without doing so.

As to tyre damage, agreed it is something I don't like but in reality is it happening enough to be an issue? Double axle caravans scuff theirs all the time when not running straight but seem to get away with it!

​As to knowing when to stop; with "park assist" we have yet to ignore its screaming and flashing red warnings to explore if the system intervenes and stops before impact. It has never misjudged the adequacy of a space, so far, which is something I can't claim! Have to play with a cardboard box one day . Cheers John

Posted

How much ??? ££££'s I bet

Posted

How much ??? ££££'s I bet

"Park Assist" on a Golf Mk7 with the rear and front parking sensor option already there, cost sub £200, two years back. So that purchased four more sensors for the vehicle sides, the computation and the powering kit to take over the steering; hints that the cost is not great unless comparing with a rudimentary speced vehicle. Here with the trailer control, the rear camera is also needed, which we never priced, but after that seems only a software cost. Unless they complicate it further as some wish with adding van sensors.

Posted

When I was taught to drive in the mid sixties the instructor emphasized that the driver must be in control of the vehicle at all times. That means no coasting amongst other things, no stearing with knees whilst rolling a fag etc etc. Electronics can and has always thrown wobblies in every sort of equipment from machinery to service tills to aircraft and mobile phones and in many cases been the outright cause of failure and also which has led to death on occassions. I prefer to know what my vehicle is doing at my pace and be in full control all the time.

Practically every car made in the last 20 years runs 'drive by wire' and has electronic anti-lock brakes You're only a software glitch away from hurtling through the next wall at full throttle, with no way of stopping, whether you like it or not.

1 person likes this