Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oversealing?

Question

Posted

Poor old Bill is a shade over 7 years old now, and some of the sealing is looking manky to say the best.

bit of hunting around t' internet and found a workshop not to far away that only does caravan and motorhome repairs, not tied in with any dealership, but I digress.

Went and had a chat with them about resealing, and they said they do not strip everything off and apply fresh sealant, but clean of excess, channel in about 3 mm and then apply fresh sealer. looked at one van they had done, looked nice and tidy, just wondering if the collective knowledge had come across this before.

Not a bad price I thunked, £300 plus vat for all seals, that includes skylights, windows, lockers and hatches, oh and the door. Is this expensive?, I know nothing, except fresh sealant should make the old boy look a bit tidyer.

Thoughts on the back of a five pound note please

7 answers to this question

Posted

Bodging of the first order, Channeling ??? How on earth can that be done without damaging the paint under the trim?? The cover strips don't seal much at the edges and rely more on a good bed of sealant over the whole width of the strip, If the old sealer has dried wich is usuall then it will leak, The strips move with heat and cold , I can't see how doing a little each side once in the sun and dry will last a season.

1 person likes this

Posted

My brother had a repair like that done to his 2008 Swift in May this year there was just under 30% damp in one of the rear upper lockers where the awning rail was leaking, so taking the advice of the mobile fitter he got him to scrape out the sealent and apply a bead of new sealent , last week the damp was up to 47% and now he is looking at a the whole side being stripped.

Posted

nuff said, full reseal then, anyone had it done?, and how much will wallet cry?

no sign of damp, just looks grotty

Posted

If it's REALLY grotty get a piece of plastic and sharpen an edge about an inch wide, leave yourself a bit to hold on to,, ( old plastic number plate great) using this carefully scrape along edge of strip removing the old squeezed out mastic, Wipe clean with white spirit, If not to bad try a nail brush and white spirit without scraping old mastic, It can be well worth while to pull out center infill strip and give all screws a little nip, Wash removed infill in VERY hot water and washing up liquid, Re fitt while soft, Your home made scraper will help again tucking it in!

Posted

Not had it done almost did on the first van but SWMBO decided to exchange instead

but I do know from a very knowledgable local repairer NEVER EVER part do it

to seal a side it must ALL be done to be certain of success

Posted

Poor old Bill is a shade over 7 years old now, and some of the sealing is looking manky to say the best.

bit of hunting around t' internet and found a workshop not to far away that only does caravan and motorhome repairs, not tied in with any dealership, but I digress.

Went and had a chat with them about resealing, and they said they do not strip everything off and apply fresh sealant, but clean of excess, channel in about 3 mm and then apply fresh sealer. looked at one van they had done, looked nice and tidy, just wondering if the collective knowledge had come across this before.

Not a bad price I thunked, £300 plus vat for all seals, that includes skylights, windows, lockers and hatches, oh and the door. Is this expensive?, I know nothing, except fresh sealant should make the old boy look a bit tidyer.

Thoughts on the back of a five pound note please

I've DIY resealed a couple of caravans now. This might be a viable approach if the mastic has only begun to dry out at the edges. If it has dried right through, then you're asking for trouble - you could well have a perfect seal along the edges, but be letting water in through the screw holes.

If I were to consider this, then I'd want to take off at least one small section of rail (perhaps the trim across the top of a window, or one of the roof lights) to get a good idea of the quality of the unexposed mastic. I'd carry out the rest of the resealing based on my findings there.

Posted

Why not phone a caravan repair centre and ask for a price of a complete reseal they should be able to quote a rough estimate .

If not try another. I think I would rather, do this . If you don't intend changing your van have it done properly . My brother had how van done quite a few years ago . He never had any damp and he has just sold it . 13 years old with no problems.