Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Auto-Route Mapping

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I have just got a new PC as the other one faded.

On the other one I had the programme called Auto-Route --

Does any one still use this ?

Prior to having Google maps and all the other map programs and Sat Nav I used to use it exclusively when planning holiday routes both here and abroad.

Printing out the turn by turn instructions, which Mary loved to have on her knee together with the map book. She was in charge of navigation!!!

OK - I still have the programme - on disc - but I think it might be a bit out of date.

Is there a new edition [less than 8 years old]

I remember I sat and entered all the CC continental sites on a single map [sad] which we found handy when planning our French journeys -- better than sat nav as you could see the map and change the route if you didn't like it.

Shall I install the old programme or get a new one.

Any one else use it??

Maurice

Posted

Microsoft are discontinuing it this year sadly.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/autoroute/home.aspx

Phil.

Posted

Used to use it for lorry routing for years but difficult to update and expensive to replace.....it was good though.

geoff

Posted

To be quite honest Maurice not used it for a few years as we now tend to use our PHONES (at least in the UK but now we are on 3 no roaming Data charges means might be using it overseas pretty soon too)

Got really fed up of Garmin after our until decided to fail and was having problems loading POI that I wanted on to it

MAY get another TomTom for getting to campsites as we use Archies excellent set of POI's but then again can use them on Google Earth too and can tether the phone to the laptop for GPS and Data

to be honest I have a new phone and it knocks spots of the old one and Steph's netbook too

Posted

I still keep an aging [2004] edition on my computers and find it useful now and again, mainly in respect to using and finding Ordnance Survey map references.

However the routing system I now uses most frequently is MS, Bing Maps via website http://www.bing.com/maps/

A feature of this I like is the ability to "drag" the generated route to use specific roads, it thus shows the ramifications in distance and timing to go via routes I believe are more caravan friendly.

I can well understand MS dropping Autoroute, it is past its sell-by-date, it is frozen in time in regards its mapping, whereas live online maps hopefully keep reasonably up to date and its cost has certainly put me off updating mine. Clearly it offers a solution where there is no internet connection, but that now is becoming rarer.

Posted

Just to add to the above, google maps also has the drag feature to change suggested routes as does Bing. I must admit I do like Bing though as it distinguishes by colour, the tolled and free roads in France (Green is pay)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8382004,-2.3278149,6z

Phil.

Posted

I still use it but not for planning, I use Bing maps for that.

A long time ago I started to plot all the sites and rallies we had visited on auto route with the year and who we were with and still do this today, often using Bing satellite view to refine the position.

The problem now is there are 830 points plotted and I do not fancy transferring them to Bing.

I suspect you could pick up a newer version on the bay for little money.

Ian

Posted

I still keep an aging [2004] edition on my computers and find it useful now and again, mainly in respect to using and finding Ordnance Survey map references.

However the routing system I now uses most frequently is MS, Bing Maps via website http://www.bing.com/maps/

A feature of this I like is the ability to "drag" the generated route to use specific roads, it thus shows the ramifications in distance and timing to go via routes I believe are more caravan friendly.

I can well understand MS dropping Autoroute, it is past its sell-by-date, it is frozen in time in regards its mapping, whereas live online maps hopefully keep reasonably up to date and its cost has certainly put me off updating mine. Clearly it offers a solution where there is no internet connection, but that now is becoming rarer.

Thanks for that link....never used it as had problems with the associated Bing search sites..I am currently frozen out of there!

My phone makes calls, which is what 12 year old Nokias do....nothing else,

geoff

Posted

Tried the Bing Maps using known destinations and found it not so good. Autoroute easier to use, however finding a copy that is on a disc is like trying to find hen's teeth in a desert.

Posted

I have the 2013 version - not a lot different to the 2005 one.

Posted

I still use it although mine is a 2008 version. It is good for looking up CC sites and CLs. For navigation we use the in car one which is excellent. I also use the co-ordinates from here http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/gps2/GreatBritain.pdf

Posted

If you have a android phone then the Archies app off the google play store is really good, you get the phone number of the site the gps coordinates, gps directions using google maps or sygic gps, and it has sites from all over Europe that include CC cL's and CCC C's sites, as well as most of the major affiliations like Acsi, Camping Cheques etc.

Posted

are there may differences -- I have looked on the MS web site and they say that Auto-Route is now discontinued.

Posted

My son gave me his sat nav . He now uses google maps on his I phone this work the same as any sat nav and router have a look on your computer .

He thinks it's better he comes here from the Netherlands . We were going to buy him a new sat nav but he said no he likes this on his phone . It also shows petrol stations etc

We still use his sat nav which is also very good.