Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

E-bay "Bit-Coins" scam

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't use E-bay on a regular footing but I was looking for a computer programme update and I was told I could find it there..

That is by the by as when I got there I found that I was in dispute with someone in India who I had supposedly purchased "bit-coins" from and I hadn't paid.. the amount was $275.75.... wow first I had no idea what Bit-coins are and secondly I wouldn't pay that for something.

Anyway I got into the E-bay resolution centre who said not to worry the transaction would be cancelled. I wasn't the first..

They transferred me to Pay-Pall and to my horror I found that $275.75 had been deducted from my PP account.

The good thing was that PP thought that this was suspicious activity and not following my normal purchase style. BUT they had taken it from my bank and were holding it in a PP secure account -- just in-case the deal was genuine.

The PP person (Dublin, Ireland) was very nice and transferred the cash back into my account. She said that I was the second this week who she has done this for.

She got me to change and update all my passwords on PP and also on E-bay, apparently once someone sees you on line they can sometimes get your passwords etc.

She has told me to do the change frequently for all details on E-bay and PP.

I think it was very good of them to spot the unusual activity on my account and freeze it till it was sorted.

I did check my Bank statement on line and the cash HAD been taken out.

BUT although it was out for 8 days it was back in again two hours after talking to the nice Irish lady..

So please be warned -- but for the security of PP and E-bay I would be $275.75 worse off. Only knowing about it when I spotted the cash going from my account from the bank statement.

Thanks E-bay

Thanks Pay-Pall

Maurice

Posted

Maurice

I can easily understand that you are happy PP/EBay sorted it out BUT they are surely at fault for permitting a system that allowed it in the first place?

Posted

Hi all,

Totally agree with Sam, it was pay pal that took your money from your bank account. So for some woman in Ireland ( tax free Pay Pal ?) to apologise, so what !!

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Who cares where PayPal are based they are a bank that is attached to Ebay

BUT

they did something no ordinary bank would they refused to send the payment as THEY thought it was fraudulent

Can any of you see any mainstream bank doing that - because I can't they would pay it out then expect YOU to prove that it was fraudulent

Maurice glad it was sorted out for you quickly and to your satisfaction and it also proves that the thieves aren't all in China or Russia

Posted

Hi Graham,

I care where Pay Pal, Amazon, Starbucks and the like are based.!! These companies are making billions of pounds trading in the UK.

The point is IMO monies had been taken from the account, so even if it was a genuine, multiply that by thousands and we end up sitting on a tidy sum, if only until the client points it out.

Posted

Glad to hear it was sorted.

You should look at your computer security. If its possible once, they (or another scammer) can do it again.

I use F Secure and Ive never had any issues like yours.

I dont rate these "free" anti virus downloads..........you get what you pay for

Posted

Thanks for this Maurice, have just removed the link to my bank account and credit card from my paypal account.

Was going to do this anyway but had forgotten.

Posted

Who cares where PayPal are based they are a bank that is attached to Ebay

BUT

they did something no ordinary bank would they refused to send the payment as THEY thought it was fraudulent

Can any of you see any mainstream bank doing that - because I can't they would pay it out then expect YOU to prove that it was fraudulent

Maurice glad it was sorted out for you quickly and to your satisfaction and it also proves that the thieves aren't all in China or Russia

Not trying to make an issue out of this and am glad Maurice got sorted BUT PayPall is not attached to EBay, it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of EBay and, because of that direct link they should prevent far more scams than they do.

Incidentally both my Bank and MBNA Credit card have stopped fraudulent payments more than once on my behalf.

Posted

Not trying to make an issue out of this and am glad Maurice got sorted BUT PayPall is not attached to EBay, it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of EBay and, because of that direct link they should prevent far more scams than they do.

Incidentally both my Bank and MBNA Credit card have stopped fraudulent payments more than once on my behalf.

Not heard of other banks doing it so that was the reason for my comment should be publicised more and do not use credit cards either

as for Bit Coins

wouldn't touch 'em with a double length bargepole though

Posted

just a small point -- I just came on line here and couldn't get in !!! suddenly realised I had changed my password!! w00t.gif

I must have done something right for a change..2thumbsup.gif

Posted

One of the reasons why I do not have a bank account linked to Paypal and prefer to use a CC via Paypal..

Posted

PayPal are probably going to be floated as a totally separate company shortly...... have had them contact me twice when they thought that my account had been misused, so no complaints there....

I have just had an e-mail from iTunes saying someone in Russia has bought a record and would I confirm my password to make sure that I am me.....as a unique personal password was changed only last week I have ignored it!

geoff

Posted

Hi all,

We yesterday had a telephone call from - 006085558146 - a very nice Asian guy informing me I had a virus on my computer and if I was near my computer to turn it on and after I gave him details and passwords to prove who I was he would from his end correct the problem.

Great I thought !! what a nice man. Then asked if he new I'd got a problem and he was genuine why bother calling me to gain access to my computer. Cheerio!!!

Posted

Your very polite Ray...........I just tell them to Eff Off

Posted

I have been called a number of times by "Microsoft" to be advised of issues with my computer.

We have a house full of them, so when I politely ask for the serial number of the machine they believe is in trouble, they put the phone down on me!wink1.gif

Posted

Had two of them......told them how did they know I had a computer as they cannot check the fact unless you tell them,

geoff

Posted

If I get any cold calls like this (and from telecoms and energy companies) I ask them to hold while I check my paperwork etc. Then put the phone in front of the speakers and play some suitable music - usually "Arrogance, Ignorance and Greed" by Show of Hands. By the song has finished they have usually hung up. Another I play is "Death on Two Legs" by Queen - the wording is quite apt.

Posted

I usuall ask where they got a classified defence number from, inform them they have dialled a VOIP number so there location is known and the televant authorities notified - at which point they hang up rapidly. :-) Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk