Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

(not so) smart meters ....

8 posts in this topic

Posted

About 18 months ago my then current energy supplier, British Gas, decided they wanted to install 'smart meters' in my house; an installation date was agreed.

The installation did not go as planned, which was entirely down to BG. It took 3 visits over a 2 month period to complete the installation, without any prompting BG gave a £50 credit for the inconvenience.

With the installation complete I had a wonderful little device which could display all manner of information about my usage. I'm not sure it actually changed my energy usage, if its dark the lights go on and if its cold the heating goes on.

Soon after the installation I changed from BG to another energy supplier, the installation process had made me think about energy supply and I realised that my previous 28 years as a loyal (???) BG customer was doing me no favours.

I am now on my second switch of energy suppliers, doing what we are supposed to do and chasing the best deal year by year.

However it seems that the 'smart meter' technology installed by BG is not supported by other suppliers, therefore the cost of the smart meter installation is a complete waste of money. I think the smart meter installation took place as a result of some sort of government initiative and I've no doubt it cost a lot of money ... but what a complete waste it has been.

I don't know if BG funded the installation or if came from a government fund ... all I know is that how ever it was funded it has ultimately cost me and there is absolutely no value at all in having the smart meters. I still have to read the meters myself (each month) and submit the readings to get accurate bills. This is a huge waste that we are all paying for ....

Posted

wine.gif

On the upside smart meters make a lot of profit for the company I work for so you may well be contributing to my salary and pension !

PS

There's no way they're putting one in my place without a fight !

wine.gif:wine:wine.gif

England.gif

Posted

SMART meters are the best thing since bubble gum or sliced bread and all suppliers should support them although some suppliers may not be able to read them remotely. If we were offered one tomorrow we would jump at it. You can still a fixed amount by DD to offset higher consumption in the winter months. Cannot understand why some people are reluctant to have them installed? Energy companies are sitting on billions of pounds of consumer's money because the customer is in credit with them.

My father who lives alone in a small flat is in credit with EON for nearly £500 and what do they do instead of issuing a refund, they reduce the amount of the DD so the amount in credit stays the same. We are in credit with our supplier by about £100, but this may disappear over the winter months. The point is that energy suppliers are in a win win situation!

Posted

I had smart meters fitted in April 2011. They were both fitted the same day and I was with First Utility at the time. Unlike the OP, I didn't receive an additional device so I had to go on line to check charges, yearly/monthly usage etc. and there were no problems till I moved suppliers, to EDF Energy in July 2011. Like with the OP, EDF were unable to remotely access the meters so I had to submit my readings to them.

In November 2012 I changed back to First Utility and they, believe it or not, told me that they are unable to use the smart meters that were installed under their direction.

In July 2013 I received a letter from First Utility headed "We're ready to install your electricity smart meter". I rang and asked them if the smart meter they intended to install could be used if I changed suppliers. They said they could not guarantee it. I leave you to guess whether I let them install the new meter or not.

Posted

My father who lives alone in a small flat is in credit with EON for nearly £500 and what do they do instead of issuing a refund, they reduce the amount of the DD so the amount in credit stays the same. We are in credit with our supplier by about £100, but this may disappear over the winter months. The point is that energy suppliers are in a win win situation!

He should reclaim the overpayment.

http://tinyurl.com/nhd6gfx

Posted

Beejay unfortunately i don't have power of attorney and cannot intervene as they state they want to talk to the bill payer. Unfortunately my dad is in hospital and will not be coming out any time soon if ever. The reps at the call centre seem to read from a script and if you ask something out of the ordinary you start going around in circles! sad2.gif

Posted

Beejay unfortunately i don't have power of attorney and cannot intervene as they state they want to talk to the bill payer. Unfortunately my dad is in hospital and will not be coming out any time soon if ever. The reps at the call centre seem to read from a script and if you ask something out of the ordinary you start going around in circles! :sad2:

Write a letter from him to them stating clearly that he wishes you to speak to them on his behalf, get him to sign it if possible, if not possible In your position I would cheat a little and sign it in his name. Send it recorded delivery and once you are sure it has been received ring them and insist on speaking to someone, if necessary go all the way up the line to asking to speak to a director.

Posted

Write a letter from him to them stating clearly that he wishes you to speak to them on his behalf, get him to sign it if possible, if not possible In your position I would cheat a little and sign it in his name. Send it recorded delivery and once you are sure it has been received ring them and insist on speaking to someone, if necessary go all the way up the line to asking to speak to a director.

Thanks Bill, I think I will do that as dad is a bit confused at times and says "yes" to things and the next moment he changes his mind.