Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

BT broadband.

27 posts in this topic

Posted

been having trouble with the Broadband -- first noticed when phones stopped getting weather etc - then Mary's lap top stopped getting stuff and finaly my desk top..

Was on to India yesterday afternoon twice and they carried out "diagnostic checks" and could find nothing wrong..They even took over my computer - amazing seeing my mouse moving by its self!!

Any way when they finished it appeared to be OK.

Till this morning then started over again.. Back onto India -- nice lady - she now thinks it might be the black box thing and she is ordered me a new one.

Also now have a special code so that I don't have to wait for an hour in the que to speak to someone if it does goes wrong again.

Mary was out side and she says that half way up the road there are some Outreach vans clustered around a manhole!!

Wonder if they have done something and bu***erd my line -- although the phone seems OK?

We thought it was the super-fast fibre optics they were putting in.

-- Doubt if it will get here my speed is Ping 64 -- 4.32 Mb/s Down and 0.729 Mb/s Up

Just over the road 500m away they are getting up to 76 Mbs with the glass fibre.

Thats the trouble with living in a village -- no consistency

Looking forward to my now Router?

Maurice

Posted

We are told we will have fibre optic by Christmas 2015, four years late!.....we get 1MBs download, 0.86MBs up........again problem with being 'village people'...

geoff

Posted

Which one are you Geoff ? post-1502-0-81960900-1412261843_thumb.jp laugh.png

1 person likes this

Posted

In your dreams..................................

geoff

Posted

clap_1.giflaugh.png

Posted

Allbran is the closest I'll get to fibre for at least 2 years, they have run a cable within a quarter of a mile, but not for us redneck yokels.

Posted

do you have to have the fibre up to your house or to a nearby box?? there is a box just down the road --50 m or so with all the adverts on it..

do they just run it in the copper into your house??

Maurice

Posted

If their is fibre to the cabinet, you can have fibre at home. It involves an engineers visit to install it but all he has to do is to deliver the modem, check that the bt box that you plug into is the correct fitting, then he leaves goes to the cabinet manipulates the connection and returns to make sure everything is working. You keep the same copper that you have from the cabinet yo your home. It works really well, it turned my less than 1mb connection that dropped every few hours into a rock solid 48mb connection.

1 person likes this

Posted

Maurice - It may be that the cabinet does not feed your side of the street! I have seen this on several occasions and it defies all logic.

The normal method of fibre install is to bring a fibre "backbone" feed from the exchange to a new cabinet in your street, there is then a connection from this cabinet to the cabinet which feeds your house. That way the broadband signal is injected onto your copper phone line within a few 10's of metres from your house instead of being injected at the exchange which could be miles away. Even if the exchange is in the next street - it is still possible for the wire length to your house to be measured in miles!

Look at www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ put your postcode in and it should tell you if fibre is available. Don't forget, if fibre is available - it is available to ALL broadband providers, BT would have you think they are the only providers!

Cheers

Keith

PS Just found the attached PDF which gives approximate dates for installation (subject to change!)

Fibre-availability.pdf

Posted

Brilliant, thanks for the above Keith, seems my village gets Fibred in December!!

Phil.

Posted

Phil

You need to remember that it is a "best endeavour" list, mainly to keep Offcom off BT's back (despite the fibre upgrade going out to tender, BT were the only company to quote!).

Norwich North was originally down for December 2013, then moved to March 2014 and finally became available in June 2014.

But if your exchange is on the list - there will be a commitment to do it eventually!

Sadly, even though the exchange gets done, it is still a bit of a lottery which streets get done and in what order. BT originally did their costing's based on an 80% take up of fibre, in reality it is nearer 40% (doesn't matter which ISP you are with - it nearly all goes over BT infrastructure). So the "easy" streets get done first and the complicated and low anticipated take up areas get done last.

Cheers

Keith

1 person likes this

Posted

We live next door to an exchange in south Manchester.

We are not connected to a green cabinet, out telegraph pole inks directly to the exchange, it seems there are NO plans to give us a cable connection because we are 'too close' to the exchange. We get a good solid 20 Mb connection speed (according to Speedtest.net), but it seems as though that is as good as we'll ever get.

Living next door to the exchange would appear to have its disadvantages ....

If I want a cable connection my only option is Virgin ... which isn't likely to happen.

Posted

We have just changed to sky after years with ntl . The cost has been getting more and more. Sky have some excellent offers at the moment .

But if they go up a lot in 12 months I have decided to go to BT we are not worried about the TV it's rubbish anyway. Free view and free sat have enough for us .

It's just that sky have an offer that will save us £15 a month . Hoping we don't use that much on phone calls.

Posted

We have I got BT fibre and get 34 mps but the speed depends on the speed of the Internet itself. I still seem to wait just as long to load some sites as I did when we only got 12mps.

Wouldn't bother to pay the extra again.

Posted

We have I got BT fibre and get 34 mps but the speed depends on the speed of the Internet itself. I still seem to wait just as long to load some sites as I did when we only got 12mps.

Ouch, as we are getting it come Tuesday, but being on the very outer limits of the same exchange we typically get just 6 mbs,[thinkbroadband], best at 7.

The BT's own Fast BB "test" prediction was we will get 37 mbs. No option of "fibre to house", only "fibre to cabinet" out here in the sticks.

Needed to do something as our 12 months of heavily discounted unlimited was pulled on the 6th, reverting to base price.

They were not offering anything like as attractive discount to stay with basic BB for another 12 months, but were offering a seductively priced Vision One package. Clearly trying to up the "migration" figures for the Government!

Costing us a bit more than if we did not upgrade, but very little though we are expecting to be "hurt" in 12 months time.

By then hopefully we will have migrated our numerous contacts based on @btinternet.com to a non utility provider aka Gmail, so can't be self inflictedly held to ramsome as we feel presently.

Posted

If I had had a 12mb connection I would not have changed, anything above that is almost irrelevant, but having a connection that was 1mb at best and dropped every few hours the change to fibre has been fantastic and worth the cost. In fact by changing from a premium BB provider to Plusnet and taking my telephone line from BT to Plusnet at the same time the extra cost was pennies a month.

Posted

If I had had a 12mb connection I would not have changed, anything above that is almost irrelevant, but having a connection that was 1mb at best and dropped every few hours the change to fibre has been fantastic and worth the cost. In fact by changing from a premium BB provider to Plusnet and taking my telephone line from BT to Plusnet at the same time the extra cost was pennies a month.

Agree but only in part! I beta test for a couple of software houses and am frequently downloading large files (100 MB and up) where my 40+mbps is a real help. Agree entirely though that increases in speed have diminishing returns for day to day use unless the number of users has an impact.

Posted

We've gone from fibre to copper and now I have time to make a drink while the page is loading sad2.gif

BT say they will be able to supply it mid September, then it was late September checked with open reach and they say it will be more likely mid next year.

As an aside why do BT have people in call centres that can't understand English? I'm fed up of them saying we can't understand you and then disconnecting us.

Only very occasionally did I managed to get a British call centre, they were the only ones who actually helped

Posted

Had my new box come and we fitted it -- then we had to go through everything and change the Key codes -- laptop- tablet - Phones etc. Chris had to do his as well when he came down..

But since then working fine.. must have been the Blue box thing.

Sent the old one back in special box --all paid for by them

Maurice

Posted

We've gone from fibre to copper and now I have time to make a drink while the page is loading sad2.gif

BT say they will be able to supply it mid September, then it was late September checked with open reach and they say it will be more likely mid next year.

As an aside why do BT have people in call centres that can't understand English? I'm fed up of them saying we can't understand you and then disconnecting us.

Only very occasionally did I managed to get a British call centre, they were the only ones who actually helped

Change to Plusnet as their call centre staff may have accents to suit your location.secret.gifsecret.gif

Posted

I made the change from BT to Plusnet nearly a year ago.

It has saved me a lot of money and the service has been fine, my only disappointment in making the change came from finding that Plusnet are owned by BT ...

Plusnet call centres are in Sheffield and Leeds (as I understand it), service is great, why can't BT's own customer service be as good?

1 person likes this

Posted

And I was just thinking about doing the same, hate the thought of using BT though in another guise!

Phil.

Posted

And I was just thinking about doing the same, hate the thought of using BT though in another guise!

Phil.

I agree in principle ... but every man has his price and saving just over £17 per month was enough for me to set my "anti BT" principle to one side and sign up to Plusnet

2thumbsup.gif2thumbsup.gif2thumbsup.gif

Posted

Hi Paul

Can I ask how long the changeover process took, I presume you get a new PlusNet router?, and were you without broadband for a period of time please?

Phil.

Posted

Phil

Just adding my experience. Moved from BT Infinity to Plusnet Fibre and 'twas a right muck up! Wont go into detail cos bore you but I suspect both foul ups were more BT fault than Plusnet - well that's what Plusnet said! During last 18 months have only had a couple of issues, quickly sorted but I just get the feeling that despite separate company, they don't rock the BT boat.