Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Calor Gas Pricing

18 posts in this topic

Posted

This may have been discussed before but I cannot find any reference.

A standard 6Kg Propane cost £20.75 for a refill, a Calorlite 6Kg Propane costs £23.75 for a refill, Why? my local caravan dealer said that it is a rip off but don't ever quote me, it's the same gas. You are paying an extra £3 for your gas for the benefit of a Calorlite. As to the diference in weight it sounds fantastic to say the Calorlite is 50% lighter, but I say 50% of what? the bottom line is the weight difference is only about 5lb's and without splitting hairs is negligable, equivalent to two bags of sugar!I do not accept and refuse to believe that the nose weight on a caravan is that critical to the tune of weight equivilent to a couple of bags of sugar and that is starting off with a full bottle which obviously gets even less with use. I am happy paying £20.75 and keeping that extra £3 in my pocket instead of giving it to Calor free of charge for nothing in their bank account.

Posted

There always has been a premium for the Calor Lite, justified by Calor because of the cost of producing a gas cylinder for a limited market. You do have the choice of standard or Lite. Given how much gas people tend to use I don't think most would spend an extra fiver a year if that. If you use a lot of gas then perhaps a re-fillable system would be the better choice but initial outlay is high. Personally I feel the weight saving is well worthwhile not only from a noseweight point of view but also moving them around.

David

Posted

My bone of contention is that they are charging £3 more for the self same product just because it is in different packaging.

If a supplier changed the packaging of a tin of baked beans that you bought as and when and then wanted to impose an additiona charge on you for doing what they want to do and you go ahead and pay it then that is rightly your choice but I'm afraid that £3 is staying in MY POCKET and I'm NOT going to put it in their pocket for the same amount of gas.

As to, "...moving them around..." mine get moved from the back of the car (which is right next to the caravan) into the front locker and when empty vice-versa then out of the back of the car at the caravan dealer or where ever and a replacement brought to my car so the moving around for me is virtually non existant.

That £3 that you are giving away for the same amount of gas as I get could be spent on absolutely anything including three lines on the Thunderball lottery which could potentially lead to a jackpot of £500,000 on any of the three lines which you are giving away to a stranger free of charge which is your personal right.

Posted

.... so the moving around for me is virtually non existant....

That is fortunate for you, perhaps others have different situations, even one or two movements might be physically demanding for some, great for those of us in good health, but not everyone is so fortunate.

As for price difference, you pays your money and takes you choice.

If you were Calor Gas and there was an opportunity to increase your profit margin on a particular product by packaging in differently, you may think differently.

Isn't this just badge engineering, it goes on all the time.

Posted

This may have been discussed before but I cannot find any reference.

A standard 6Kg Propane cost £20.75 for a refill, a Calorlite 6Kg Propane costs £23.75 for a refill, Why? my local caravan dealer said that it is a rip off but don't ever quote me, it's the same gas. You are paying an extra £3 for your gas for the benefit of a Calorlite. As to the diference in weight it sounds fantastic to say the Calorlite is 50% lighter, but I say 50% of what? the bottom line is the weight difference is only about 5lb's and without splitting hairs is negligable, equivalent to two bags of sugar!I do not accept and refuse to believe that the nose weight on a caravan is that critical to the tune of weight equivilent to a couple of bags of sugar and that is starting off with a full bottle which obviously gets even less with use. I am happy paying £20.75 and keeping that extra £3 in my pocket instead of giving it to Calor free of charge for nothing in their bank account.

Get ready then

Prices for hire of cylinders is going up £10 soon - OK it only affects getting new ones but it's quite a hike on prices

Posted

I believe the "lite" cylinders are made of a high strength steel which costs more than the conventional mild steel ones. I guess its a question of how much more cost and how many uses (refills).

Posted

I have always had a bit of a chuckle about saving weight with Lite bottles.....a neighbour on site last year went all over Scotland looking for Lite bottles and then loaded a near full Aquaroll into his front locker..............nuff said!

geoff

Posted

I'll stick to the BP gaslight, ok, flogas lite now, still readily available despite what the doom mongers were saying

1 person likes this

Posted

Our last and I mean last Calorlite refill cost us £26! We have now purchased a 10kg Safefill bottle which cost us £14.75 to fill from empty. Two subsequent refills were under £10 each.

1 person likes this

Posted

There always has been a premium for the Calor Lite, justified by Calor because of the cost of producing a gas cylinder for a limited market. You do have the choice of standard or Lite. Given how much gas people tend to use I don't think most would spend an extra fiver a year if that. If you use a lot of gas then perhaps a re-fillable system would be the better choice but initial outlay is high. Personally I feel the weight saving is well worthwhile not only from a noseweight point of view but also moving them around.

David

Agreed: You are getting something for your money: A lighter bottle. Clearly there's a market for it (one introduced by the BP product no doubt) but if they're not going to see any return on investment, where's the incentive to purchase the new cylinders? Furthermore, if they charge the same price as the regular 6Kg bottles, everyone's going to want the new cylinders (which are lighter and have a built in gas level gauge.) As a result, there will be a shortage for the people who actually need them.

I'm not sure about the really big bottles, but with 13Kg and below, you always pay a lot more for the exchange than you do for the gas anyway. Just look at the price difference between the 6Kg and 13Kg exchanges on their website at present - £20.75 and £27.25 respectively. That's £3.46 per Kg for the 6 and £2.09 for the 13. Or if you look at it as a separate exchange fee and gas charge, 93p/Kg for the gas and £15.16 service charge for exchanging a bottle. (6 x 0.93 + 15.16 = 20.74 and 13 x 0.93 + 15.16 = 27.25)

Posted

Hi all,

Totally agree with Bristles, it's a rip off !! I ( because I can ) use a 13'r and a 6kg lite, only using the lite between changes of the 13'r.

Happy caravanning, indoors.

1 person likes this

Posted

To cover the product safety recall on Calor-lite bottles, can we expect another hoist in our gas prices?

Ultimately the customer always pays and this error seems to be a very expensive one.

Posted

I understand that Calor prices will rise on 1st October 2014............................dealer told me.

geoff

Posted

I understand that Calor prices will rise on 1st October 2014............................dealer told me.

geoff

Yes I was told they had already gone up. Paid £28.99 for one last week so I presume that is the new price. Swapped a suspect full one at the same time.

As we only use 1x 6kg fill a year it's not really a problem. I like the Calorlite as the bottles aren't so heavy to lift eventhough they are a little more expensive.

Posted

Yes I was told they had already gone up. Paid £28.99 for one last week so I presume that is the new price. Swapped a suspect full one at the same time.

As we only use 1x 6kg fill a year it's not really a problem. I like the Calorlite as the bottles aren't so heavy to lift eventhough they are a little more expensive.

If you got it at SoCal or any of the dealers in the area like Viscount then £28,99 is the price they have been charging for the last year not the new price.

Posted

If you got it at SoCal or any of the dealers in the area like Viscount then £28,99 is the price they have been charging for the last year not the new price.

Oh. I did say I only bought one a year!

Viscount.

Posted

We normally pay £33 for a 15kg bottle of butane however this has now risen to £34.99 recently!

Posted

Just been to my local Agricultural dealer...where 30 old 'lites' were being swapped on a one for one basis...and paid £20.77 for a normal 6kg...they didn't know if/when price increase was taking place but it could be straight after that delivery!

geoff