Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Warning of KIA Sorento towing issue

9 posts in this topic

Posted

If you have a heavy rig to tow ... you might like to be aware that the manual Sorento has significant issues with Dual Mass Flywheel slip.

KIA have now accdepted there is a problem ... no outcome yet ...

If you have or are considerring a Sorento worth taking a look at:

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/sorento-clutch-burning-update_topic19271.html

My Sorento is comfortable, tows well on flat, but struggles with burning clutch on hill starts or reversing up even a slight slope.

The Hyundia Santa Fe which is a sibling car sharing many componets and made in same factory has even had DMF chnaged to standard clutch on some cars ..

Take a look at attached doc.

Dual Mass Flywheel Problem.pdf

Posted

Hi all,

Having read this and the links, my thoughts go out to anyone with problems on new vehicles, caravans and the like. May I suggest though that although my Toyota Hilux 3-0D4D has a towing " limit " of 2500kg, I even after 35 yrs of caravanning would not even attempt to tow 2200 kg up hill and down dale all day, what happened to the 80 % guideline ? I always assumed it was 80% of the towing vehicle.

We see too many buy a small short wheel base " 4X4 " and assume they can pull the biggest twin axle caravans, looking only at the " Towing limit ". Just my opinion. Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

In regards to the 80-85% rule I to like to keep well within. Would you know if it is all years affected, never had a problem towing so far.

As a matter of interest I have had serious clutch burn reversing up a driveway in France when coming face to face with another car on a single track mountain road. (no caravan attached I hasten to add)

Posted

Having worked on various marques over the years nearly all manufactures suffer from some issues with DMF flywheels, personally for this reason I would not purchase any vehicle manual or auto that has one, much prefer the old fluid type torque converter auto for the reliability.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi all,

I'm not a techie but I know a man who is and he's a long time caravaner. Though I've through choice only used Automatic cars for the last eight vehicles owned, I was advised many years ago to if at all possible, when arriving at a site park up, take a walk round, chill yourself and let the car cool down before attempting to reverse on a pitch. We still do this nowadays ( see & hear too many fallouts as soon as some turn up after a long journey ). Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

When I had a Nissan pathfinder the clutch and flywheel were replaced by Nissan at 55000 miles due to the flywheel being manufactured wrongly. It's worth mentioning that the max tow has nothing to do with caravans, I often had 3.5 tonne of metal on a trailer behind the pathfinder but this was all low down and not affected by wind like a caravan. That's why the 85% guidance is for caravans only it has no relevance to towing trailers in general.

Posted

Hi Ian,

I'm glad your last word was " general " because I would not like to be anywhere near your Pathfinder pulling a heavy trailer carrying 3-5 tonne of anything. I do disagree with your thoughts on the 80/85% rule though. IMO a towing limit is a towing limit, it's not how good a vehicle can pull such weights on the flat or up hill, it's how safely it can handle that load when it gets heavier than the towing vehicle. All too often we see short wheel base " 4x4 " vehicles pulling trailers with an even bigger vehicle on, it just isn't safe, but that's my opinion !!

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Having worked on various marques over the years nearly all manufactures suffer from some issues with DMF flywheels, personally for this reason I would not purchase any vehicle manual or auto that has one, much prefer the old fluid type torque converter auto for the reliability.

We picked up this problem on our 2010 Ford Mondeo which was an automatic with the Powershift. lovely car to drive but the auto box was a nightmare and eventually Ford acknowledged that they could not cure the problem. After about six months usage we were refunded our deposit and the cost of fitting a towbar so full marks to Ford on that one.

Posted

Ian, common sense tells me a length of steel on caravan chassis will be more stable than a lightweight box flapping about in the wind behind the tow vehicle. To liken " overloading " to articulated lorries just doesn't stack up either, totally different design structure, artics don't have a towball, pivot point, load bearer 3ft behind the rear axle. I've towed heavy Industrial Roller Shutters on a Ifor Williams beever tail behind my HiLux but I certainly wouldn't go over the weight of the car. Again just my opinion. Happy caravanning, indoors.

BTW: Reminds me of the time me and my lad sat in the van on a loading dock and an artic turned up and reversed on the dock next to us, I looked up at the driver and jokingly said " I wish I could reverse my caravan like that " he said " I wish could reverse mine like it as well ". the pivot point on an Artic is in front of the rear axle, not 3ft behind.