Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

satellite systems for caravans?

22 posts in this topic

Posted

We have just returned from a cl in the new forest .It was a great little site but we could not get a tv picture .so we have decided to splash out on a satellite system .

Which is the best system to buy for a caravan ? Aldi sell them for about £50 ,are they any good ?.

I know that someone will be able to offer some advice on this one .

Col

Posted

They are all pretty much of a muchness at that price.

I have a Sky box and sky dish mounted on a tripod.

If you have Sky at home you can take that box and will get all the channels you normally get.

If you don't have sky you can buy a sky box and get a card for the free channels from them for around £25, you can call them on 03442410595, option 1

You will need a compass and a satellite signal finder ( around £10)

Hope this helps

Lance

Posted

I have the Aldi one and it works well, all the freeview channels, although I have changed the dish and got a tripod seperately. Lance (shakermate) has set mine up a fair few times laugh.png But now I have mastered it with the help of this app for the phone https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esys.satfinder&hl=en and even set it up in the dark

Posted

We have just returned from a cl in the new forest .It was a great little site but we could not get a tv picture .so we have decided to splash out on a satellite system .

Which is the best system to buy for a caravan ? Aldi sell them for about £50 ,are they any good ?.

I know that someone will be able to offer some advice on this one .

Col

Personally I wouldn't give it house room. Satellite is relatively easy when you get to know it and what you are doing. It sounds in your case though it may not be as straightforward a you first think. As you were in the New Forrest if you didn't have a clear view more or less South (this only roughly the direction)ie tree's blocking your path then forget it you are very unlikely to get anything if at all.

If you intend going to France at any time especially down South or Spain then the Aldi will be pretty useless. I would suggest getting a 90cm dish or thereabouts, a very good sturdy tripod and a decent freesat receiver like Humax. When your get your equipment be sure you purchase the correct gear. For example if you intend to record any programmes then you will obviously need a recorder capable of recording hence you will need a twin LNB if your receiver doesn't record then a single LNB is suffice. There is a very helpful web site which I cannot remember at the moment but if I can find it I will post it here for you.

Posted

I used an Aldi one for three years till it was lost in a fire.......bought a Maxview system, which looks smarter, but only does what the Aldi one did........but I never ever take them abroad anyway...it isn't what I go for.

geoff

Posted

Personally I wouldn't give it house room. Satellite is relatively easy when you get to know it and what you are doing. It sounds in your case though it may not be as straightforward a you first think. As you were in the New Forrest if you didn't have a clear view more or less South (this only roughly the direction)ie tree's blocking your path then forget it you are very unlikely to get anything if at all.

If you intend going to France at any time especially down South or Spain then the Aldi will be pretty useless. I would suggest getting a 90cm dish or thereabouts, a very good sturdy tripod and a decent freesat receiver like Humax. When your get your equipment be sure you purchase the correct gear. For example if you intend to record any programmes then you will obviously need a recorder capable of recording hence you will need a twin LNB if your receiver doesn't record then a single LNB is suffice. There is a very helpful web site which I cannot remember at the moment but if I can find it I will post it here for you.

This is the site I mentioned, http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/ you will find it very informative and will help you a great deal and obviously others.

Posted

Mine was a 'B grade' suitcase system from Maplin (I think they're ones that customers return, even though they're not faulty.) The nice thing about it is that it has a set-up mode that produces an audible tone, the pitch of which relates to the signal quality. So set-up is simply a case of turning on the tone and swinging the dish from side to side until you can hear the highest pitch. Once the dish is set up on the tripod, I can align it in a matter of seconds, even if I've absolutely no idea which direction it's supposed to be pointing in.

The Sky box, on the other hand, has you finding roughly the right spot using a compass, making small adjustments, and then checking the lock, signal strength and quality visually on the set-up screen. The update isn't instant, either, so you have to wait between each adjustment to see if it has improved matters. A signal meter can be useful on the Sky box, but unless you buy a really expensive meter, you'll have to rely on the receiver to tell you that you're pointing at the right satellite cluster.

Satellite doesn't guarantee you a TV signal. I've been on two pitches (including one seasonal) where satellite wasn't an option due to tall trees in the path of the signal. On a third (also seasonal) pitch, I was able to aim through a hole in the foliage not much bigger than the dish. It took some trial and error, and a clinometer proved very useful.

So don't bin your TV aerial. Take both and keep your options open.

Posted

I got fed up with using a sat-finder I could spend a while locking onto a strong satellite signal only to find it was one adjacent to the one I wanted, so I purchased a very small HD easy find receiver pvr and Lnb, now I just select a channel I want to watch move the dish from left to right there is a led on the lnb that starts of red goes orange as the dish starts to point at the satellite and goes green when it is locked on the correct satellite takes on average less the 2 minuets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEWline-HD12v-HDMI-Easyfind-Satellite-Receiver-with-Easyfind-LNB-FTA-USB-HD-/171029675028?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item27d229bc14

Posted

I got fed up with using a sat-finder I could spend a while locking onto a strong satellite signal only to find it was one adjacent to the one I wanted, so I purchased a very small HD easy find receiver pvr and Lnb, now I just select a channel I want to watch move the dish from left to right there is a led on the lnb that starts of red goes orange as the dish starts to point at the satellite and goes green when it is locked on the correct satellite takes on average less the 2 minuets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEWline-HD12v-HDMI-Easyfind-Satellite-Receiver-with-Easyfind-LNB-FTA-USB-HD-/171029675028?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item27d229bc14

A very important omission - One CANNOT use this if you have a recorder, a single LNB is no good a twin LNB is required for recording facility.

Posted

No omission intended but I will clarify, you can use the pvr function for time shift or to record a program while you are away from the van what it will not do is record one program while you watch another for that you do need a twin lnb and receiver with twin inputs.

Posted

I bought an Aldi one two years ago and it's still in its box. I am useless when it comes to TV/satelite stuff and despite reading the instructions so many times I still haven't got a clue what to do! Just as well there's nothing worth watching anyway!

Posted

Ive given up on satellites systems I always found it very difficult to get a signal so im selling a complete system on Ebay its just gone on today a maxview dish with tripod cables satfinder and carry bag also a humax digital rec

Posted

Hi all,

Unless you have a motorhome and ( as they do abroad ) travel around almost daily it really is not worth fixing an expensive set up to the roof, as once fitted you will find you may be restricted just where you can park. I've used quite successfully for five years now as far South as the Dordogne, a B & Q Ross 60cm set up that comes with box, remote and leads £39-00, added to this I purchased a " speaker stand " tripod from Maplins @ £29-00. A tip regards setting up ( though I do have a sat finder ( unused )is if at all possible, place the sat dish within view of the set, my set is just inside the door, so looking through the door I adjust the dish until I see the best result on the screen display !!! simples.

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

We have a Small dish (70cm) and a Euro satellite receiver so can aim at which ever bird we want

the system cost us £79 a few years ago (From Netto when it was selling them)

and we added a proper tripod to it a year ago from a car boot at £3.50 it was a steal

Add to that my phone app called Sat Finder (a free Android APP) and we can be set up within 10 minutes

and you can see we haven't spent a lot but tied to a decent LED TV we get a decent picture even in the South of Spain although we will see later since the footprint has been altered in the very South

Posted

place the sat dish within view of the set, my set is just inside the door, so looking through the door I adjust the dish until I see the best result on the screen display !!! simples.

We do something similar with Mrs WiB outside adjusting and me calling out the results from the screen!

Posted

We attached a sky dish to a 5ft aluminium scaffold bar. If you remove the jockey wheel and place in the scaffold bar it is a perfect fit and sturdier than any tripod. We use our HD Sky Box from home and managed to watch the Mayweather fight last weekend.

Posted

We attached a sky dish to a 5ft aluminium scaffold bar. If you remove the jockey wheel and place in the scaffold bar it is a perfect fit and sturdier than any tripod. We use our HD Sky Box from home and managed to watch the Mayweather fight last weekend.

A solid pipe will always be stronger but the advantage of a decent tripod is that you can move the dish away from the caravan to get a line up of signal without obstructions such as when you unfortunately find the satellite is directly behind the B***** caravan undecided.gif

Ours is a specifically made tripod for Satellite systems bigger than ours like this one that retails at £49 although ours came from a flea market at £3

d-17516.jpg

Posted

Good point about the direction of the signal. I have the other 5 foot of the scaffold tube with a coupler on. I don't think my wife would get in the Caravan if I put it up

Posted

We have a Snipe on the roof for U K and N/France and a large dish for the rest of Europe which we carry under the motohome, works well for us.

Posted

We have a Snipe on the roof for U K and N/France and a large dish for the rest of Europe which we carry under the motohome, works well for us.

Have you deserted and gone over to the dark side, Chris? I suppose you now take the Gold Wing with you on a trailer if you have?

Posted

Hello mate. Well we went for the motorhome due in the main that I have been ill, and Fran can drive this if I am not 100%. We sold the bike as we were not out and about as much as we would like.

The motorhome suit us fine, off to France for the month of June. Very nice to hear from you.

Posted

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you've not been too well, love and best wishes to Fran, Ray & Jean.