Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thinking about binning the caravan ,,,

27 posts in this topic

Posted

wine.gif

And getting a motorhome ...

The big issue is finding something that fits our perceived needs - there's a multitude of different motorhomes out there and we know next to nothing about them :(

Does anybody have any suggestions for reliable sources of info ?

wine.gif:wine:wine.gif

England.gif

Posted

We to have been looking at motor homes. But a bit worried about going out for the day when on site at the moment we just get into car and go leaving Caravan on pitch all set up.

Happy Caravanning

Monty.

Posted

Hi Bob,

I'd suggest you look on a Camping car Forum and take advice from people who use them regularly, If you were considering coming out here to France I'd say go for it ( even been looking at them myself ) every township and most villages have free for the night Aires specifically for Camping cars, Every man and his dog in France has one. But in the UK it's caravan / campsites just the same as with a caravan and like Keith has suggested you'd need a car as well. Good luck with whatever you choose. Happy caravanning/Campingcaring. indoors.

Posted

check out the Baileys Bob,

our layout in a motorhome reasonably priced too, fixed double bed, two long sofas, low height, no overhead bed

Bailey Approach 740

Posted

yep he has, lucky thing

Posted

I shall correct that statement, yes he does have a Bailey Motorhome and I think its that one secret.gif

Posted

wine.gif

Good stuff - thanks Katharita !

I've registered on a few MH forums (Even tripped over David Klyne on one !)

We were trying to avoid a fixed bed but we're struggling to find something that ticks all the important boxes (How unusual !)

Spacious bathroom, usable kitchen, easily made bed, spacious lounge area AND somewhere for me to cook/eat/drink/read while Jackie sleeps - insomnia is ever present sunny.gif

The other important points are not too long or too high - basically I want a Tardis or the moon on a stick undecided.gif

I have this strange feeling that the word compromise may become prevalent in our discussions ...

England.gif

Posted

wine.gif

Forgot to mention that we'd like it to come in under 3500kg !

England.gif

Posted

Its horses for courses. It is a subject that needs extremely careful thinking about especially where financial outlay is concerned. People are talking about layouts etc as if a decision has already been made!! What about the for’s and against first?

Our caravan is our little cottage on wheels once unhitched and set up it’s our base for as long as we are wherever. Our vehicle is then used as normal, low fuel consumption, ease of parking virtually anywhere including multi storey car parks don’t have to worry about height bars or narrow roads. Don’t have to disconnect water or travel around with it swishing about in an onboard tank lugging extra weight around or disconnecting the waste if necessary, nor disconnecting the hook up and making sure that everything in the motorhome is secure etc etc. Caravans obviously have their draw backs as well so the bottom line is YOUR personal preference.

Some caravanners have gone from caravan to motorhome and regretted it and gone back to caravanning loosing thousands of pounds and some have said it’s the best thing they did and vice versa.

We have one vehicle to tax, insure, service and maintain. To use a motorhome as an everyday vehicle is generally impractical hence why so many spend out on a day to day vehicle and therefore far more financial outlay annually.

Having said all that, it’s each to their own. Good luck whatever your decision.

Posted

wine.gif

Forgot to mention that we'd like it to come in under 3500kg !

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

Will you be towing a small car behind it so you don't have to pack up every time you want to go somewhere? A bit of a blow if you go out and some one nicks your pitch while you are out. IMHO a M/H severely restricts the number of sites you can use as they would have to be on a bus route if you are not towing a car.

Posted

wine.gif

Trust me - we've gone round the buoy many times when it comes to the transportation/mobility/flexibility discussion spin.gif

And I definitely won't be towing a car !

England.gif

Posted

Ive been looking for ages and I cant find anything that suits our needs. In the meantime I bought a static and I dont like it. I thought it would be a compromise but its not.

Ive come to the conclusion that unless I spend about 50 grand I wont get what I want in a Motorhome.

I have rented a few holiday cottages and they have been fabulous. We got off to a bad start with one in Wales that was dirty and poorly equipped but since then we have booked them through Sykes Cottages and they have been incredible.

We had one a few weeks ago (the hot week) on the Norfolk Broads and it was like staying in a 5 Star hotel with extras. That was £600 a week .......theres an awful lot of 600's in 50 grand. We saw an absolutely incredible place whist on a boat trip from Horning so I have booked it for a week next summer, its £2300 per week but it sleeps 10 so I can take the family.

Im quickly coming to the conclusion that motorhoming isnt the future for me but there are positives in that you can go when you want and campsites are friendly places.

Posted

Good luck Bob. We are going down the motorhome route one day. Not a big one or brand new.

Posted

We have had some cracking cottages. Best one is Ireland. Going Suffolk next month. Can't wait.

Posted

I also would like to get a motor home in the future.

We sold the tourer as after the accident I hated being in the car towing.

We got a static almost 2 years ago which is lovely.

But it isn't the same as waking up somewhere different every holiday.

I miss the rallies and lmus and all my friends.

As I said in time (when I have won the lotto) we will get a Motörhome and tour around again.

Good luck Bob

Michelle xx

Posted

Despite changing to a motorhome after 30 years of towing a caravan I would not try and convince anyone one way or the other as it has to be a personal decision. As we were thinking of changing I started a blog to detail my thoughts which I have recorded here http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/motorhome_blog.html It might be of help to anyone in the same position. Unfortunately we have not been able to go abroad this year owing to us both having various medical conditions which are hopefully in the process of being sorted. However we have managed to get away in the UK quite frequently and our travels are recorded here http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/travels_in_the_uk_2014.html

David

Posted

Well we still tug but if we had the money Stephanie would have us swop to a motorhome

Why - it's simple with a motorhome I would relax more when she's driving ( three tugging prangs since we started all hers - she has only towed in anger 4 times)

and

There is the advantages you get abroad with a motorhome that you don't with a caravan with their built in tanks

But for now we will stick to tugging otherwise I would be a REAL madcaravanner

Posted

Reading between the lines I guess your ideal motorhome is, errr, a caravan !!!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Had this dilemma a few years ago, so to try and decide we hired 2 motorhomes for 2 different trips, not a cheap exercise but cheaper than spending 50K and making a mistake.

Well in our case it was a good move, the first trip was ok, but we had good weather and the shops were fairly close, the second trip opened our eyes to all the pitfalls, bad weather, bus trips into town, height barriers everywhere we wanted to park, our pitch was occupied one day when we got back, despite reserving it with a sign and a cone!! plus, its just not as comfortable a drive, not as much room, the dog wouldn't settle etc etc so, I would suggest hiring one Bob and seeing if it is for you, it was a very useful exercise in our case, stopped us making a big and very costly mistake!!

Phil.

1 person likes this

Posted

wine.gif

EXCELLENT suggestion Phil !

I'll run it by herself tonight - I suspect I know the answer but it's worth a punt thinking2.gif

My expectation is that we'll be doing more trips in Europe with the UK being just short rallies and LMU's so getting about won't be a significant problem.

So far the Bailey Approach 740 seems pretty good - apart from the fixed bed sad2.gif I'll just keep on looking and try to put together a shortlist - apparently we're going to the NEC on 15th October ...

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

:England:

Posted

Bob, if you are considering hiring one there is a place not too far from you at Chichester called Landcruise Motorhome Hire ( www.landcruise.uk.com ). Friends of ours (him 70, her ??) have a small motor scooter on the back (goes on an upgraded type bike rack) of their old campingpanzer that they use if public transport not handy.

Posted

I considered renting one but I couldnt find one with a layout that I might buy. I suppose you still get the feel for it but I think the problems of not having a car are pretty obvious.

Plus all the rentals were new (ish) so way out of my price range. I didnt want to get spoiled

Having said that, you could discover pros and cons you hadnt considered.

Posted

We considered renting but then decided against it. One reason was cost but another was that we didn't think it would give us a realistic impression of what motorhoming would be like. At the back of our minds we had already made the decision to change having gone over the pros and cons dozens of times. 18 months down the road we don't think we made a mistakesmug.gif

David

1 person likes this