Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Caravan tyres - Where do you get yours from

Question

Posted

Don't want to go to the dealers so thought maybe kwik fit mobile? Anyone tried them or are there any other mobile fitters, national or work in the Essex area?

28 answers to this question

Posted

I just bought two tyres for our car transporter trailer off ebay but where ever you go checkout the DOT code on the tyre wall to see how old the tyre is.

Posted

I ring Event tyres or contact them online and tell them exactly what size and weight rating I want and they send a mobile fitter to do the job. They are excellent.

Posted (edited)

For the Caravan I use HiQ and yes check the DOT for age even from the Big Boys

for the car Motability have a contract with KwikFit

Forgot to add that my local HiQ has absolutely no problem with Tyron Bands they have their own tools for them so don't need to take the special Allen key in

Also PERSONALLY I would not got to KwikFit if I didn't have to

Edited by Grandad Graham

Posted

I ring Event tyres or contact them online and tell them exactly what size and weight rating I want and they send a mobile fitter to do the job. They are excellent.

I use event for my car tyres , but when I chatted to the fitter regarding the caravan , he said they can't do wheels with Tyron bands .worth checking first ,having said that I would also recommended Event mobile tyres

Kwik fit and barge poles come to mind , my son only this week had to have a tyre changed quickly this week , they fitted the wrong speed rated tyre even though he was specific about what he wanted , also damaging the alloy rim as well , at least they sorted is , but should not have happened in the first place

Posted

Hi Mark,

I personallly will never go anywhere else than here, http://www.etyres.co.uk/

I have always used them and they have been extremely professional and knowledgeable but thats my opinion. If you scroll to the bottom of their page after reading their blurb, click on caravans and read carefully their write up, it is impressive. Furthermore, if you tell them you are a member of either the CC or C&CC Club they give a further 5%.

It is worth looking at and they also do Tyrons as you will see at the bottom of the page where you click "caravans" but not sure about this as I have never asked about Tyrons for caravans, I'll leave that to you to enquire about if you so wish to.

ATB, Rob.

Posted

Hi Mark,I personallly will never go anywhere else than here, http://www.etyres.co.uk/I have always used them and they have been extremely professional and knowledgeable but thats my opinion. If you scroll to the bottom of their page after reading their blurb, click on caravans and read carefully their write up, it is impressive. Furthermore, if you tell them you are a member of either the CC or C&CC Club they give a further 5%.It is worth looking at and they also do Tyrons as you will see at the bottom of the page where you click "caravans" but not sure about this as I have never asked about Tyrons for caravans, I'll leave that to you to enquire about if you so wish to.ATB, Rob.

Try Event tyres next time, the service is superb and the tyres fitted are cheaper like for like than etyres. I have just checked the three tyre sizes that I have need of ( two cars and the caravan ) and for the tyres that I would fit which etyres have I gotan average saving of £8 a tyre choosing identical tyres.

Posted

Try Event tyres next time, the service is superb and the tyres fitted are cheaper like for like than etyres. I have just checked the three tyre sizes that I have need of ( two cars and the caravan ) and for the tyres that I would fit which etyres have I gotan average saving of £8 a tyre choosing identical tyres.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that, I checked mine and would have saved £5.32 per tyre having said that they may have priced matched if I had known at the time. Recorded for next time.

Posted

In the last few years have used etyres for both car and caravan, very pleased and they do Tyrons at an extra charge.

David

Posted

Local depot, called Bathwick Tyres, always do me a great price for my tyres, but somehow always full price for the tyres on my works van smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Posted

Etyres were great when we changed them

Posted

Mine uses car tyres, so I use a place that sells part worn tyres. A pair of 165/80 13 inch costs me £30 fitted and balanced. Not bad for a year or two useage.

Posted

Mine uses car tyres, so I use a place that sells part worn tyres. A pair of 165/80 13 inch costs me £30 fitted and balanced. Not bad for a year or two useage.

IMO that does not sound like a good idea whatsoever. To many people have had minor, serious and even fatal accidents due to tyre conditions. Nobody, (an assumption) would risk a blow out on a caravan on a motorway whether in the UK or abroad be it during light ours or 02.00hrs in the morning also considering passengers in the towing vehicle adults or children. Are you a tyre expert? all tyres differ greatly in load rating amongst other specifications, all tyres are not all equal. I could go on but I feel I have said enough personally, I wouldn't think twice about doing what you have done no way would I do such a thing. I believe in the interests of your safety, your passengers and other road users this situation needs a re think,

Just my opinion.

Posted

Hi all,

I can't believe that someone would buy a pair of second hand car tyres and fit to a caravan " they're black, they're round, they'll do". What pressure would one set in the tyres ( to suit the tyre under normal load will differ greatly from the load expected on a caravan ) Caravan tyres are rated differently to car tyres they are expected to perform differently. Just my opinion. Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Hi all,

I can't believe that someone would buy a pair of second hand car tyres and fit to a caravan " they're black, they're round, they'll do". What pressure would one set in the tyres ( to suit the tyre under normal load will differ greatly from the load expected on a caravan ) Caravan tyres are rated differently to car tyres they are expected to perform differently. Just my opinion. Happy caravanning, indoors.

Car tyres have softer side walls and are not load rated as high as Caravan tyres

I agree with Indoors to buy pre used tyres is false economy especially as you will not be able to use them for the full 5 years as they could be four years old before you get them

All you need is one blow out and you've lost your van and everything in it and the insurance company will not pay out due to incorrectly fitted tyres

Posted

There is no difference between car tyres and caravan tyres, if the load rating is correct for the weight of the van and the tyres are the same size then they are correct. The extra stiffness in the sidewalls of the tyres on many caravans comes from the simple expedient that they need to be stiffer in order to carry the load they are rated for and this is taken care of in the load rating.

1 person likes this

Posted

Car tyres have softer side walls and are not load rated as high as Caravan tyres

Caravan tyres are rated differently to car tyres they are expected to perform differently.

No such thing as a "caravan" tyre. Caravans are fitted with tyres to suit their weight which therefore may be the same size and type as those fitted to some cars. There are larger caravans which have tyres with load ratings suitable to light commercial vehicles.

Posted

The tyres I use are exactly to specification for my caravan, a Swift Corvette. Recommended tyres in the manual are 165SR 13 (165/80 13 in modern speak) radial 33psi.
The max laden weight of the van is 950 kg, the tyre load rating I generally use is 83 which is 487 kgs. 487 X 2 = 974 kgs, well above the weight of the caravan. I don't bother about the speed rating for obvious reasons.
I never keep a tyre for more than two years because my van sits in my front drive for the majority of the year with one tyre fully exposed to the sun for most of the day. It is a south facing tyre. You would be amazed how quickly the rubber can show signs of cracking, even a brand new tyre. Some show stress after one year.
The second hand tyres I get are fully tested, have been on a car for a few thousand miles with no issues. I've had some brand new tyres fitted with issues from the start. I don't want one of them on my caravan.
The second hand ones, apart from being known good ones, also have 6mm of tread left on them. I have never ran out of tread on a caravan tyre. Part worn is not a problem.
The winter and summer tyres on my car get taken on and off the same wheels every season change. Not a problem. The van tyres get put on once by me and once by the prevoius user judging by the condition of them.
So wear and condition is not an issue, neither is the type of tyre. The tyres are turfed my me after two seasons because of the sun damage.
Two new tyres would cost £90 ordered online, fitting at my local secondhand tyre place is £15 each, total price £120 replaced after two years because of the aforementioned sun.
Two good part worns from the same place cost £60 total fitted, replaced after two years.
I'm struggling to see how I'm the idiot here...

Posted

Nobody has mentioned the word "idiot" as far as I can see with regard to this subject.

The tone of the posting obviously caused postings that were genuinely thought. It came across to several reader's as previously stated, "they're black, they're, round they'll do" attitude. There was no intended offence directed at anyone nor any finger pointed saying "idiot"

They were genuine opinions based on the content of the posting and how they were interpreted which is what forums are about.

If anybody swears on their families lives that they personally checked each tyre before fitting, the condition, load rating and year of manufacture then I will believe them.

Posted

Hi all,

You're up before me Rob !!! Same sentiments though. Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

The max laden weight of the van is 950 kg, the tyre load rating I generally use is 83 which is 487 kgs. 487 X 2 = 974 kgs, well above the weight of the caravan.
A difference of 24 kg is hardly "well above" especially, as is common, there is more weight on one side of the 'van than the other,
So wear and condition is not an issue, neither is the type of tyre.
Almost all part worn second hand tyres come from vehicles that have been scrapped or written off .
That being so there is no way of knowing if there is internal damage to sidewalls or tread caused by heavy kerbing or accident impact. There is also the consideration of age of the tyre as part worn are often at, or past, the use by date whether it's 5,6 or 7 years depending on choice.

Posted

The majority of part worn tyres entering the UK come from Germany. The suggestion they come from written off vehicles is untrue.
Obviously it pays to use a reputable supplier as there are always going to be dodgy back street garages, where cash is king and the origin of the tyres cannot be checked or relied upon. You pays your money and takes your chances in these cases I guess.
That said, there are reputable and safe suppliers out there.
By law, it is illegal to supply a part-worn tyre that is capable of being fitted to a motor vehicle or trailer unless certain conditions are met regarding specific markings and the general condition of the tyre.
Most importantly, all types of part-worn tyre must be marked 'PART WORN', any repairs to tyres must comply with British Standards, and it is illegal to have unsafe tyres in possession for sale.
In the guide
The legislation
Marking
Condition
Part-worn retreaded tyres
Repaired tyres
Tyres in storage
Penalties
The legislation
The Motor Vehicle Tyres (Safety) Regulations 1994 set out minimum safety standards for the supply of part-worn tyres. To comply, it is important that you and your staff are fully aware of these Regulations.
Under the Regulations, it is illegal to supply any part-worn tyre that is capable of being fitted to a motor vehicle or trailer unless the conditions detailed below are met.
Marking
Part-worn tyres (except retreads) should have an EC approval mark (for example E11) and a speed and load capacity index (for example 76 S) moulded into the sidewall at the time of manufacture.
In addition, all types of part-worn tyres must be marked 'PART-WORN' in upper case letters at least 4mm high.
This wording must be permanently and legibly applied to the tyre, otherwise than by hot-branding or cutting into the tyre and adjacent to every approval mark.
Rubber labels can be cold vulcanised to the tyre and are available from companies that advertise in the trade press.
Condition
Part-worn tyres, whether deflated or inflated to the highest operating pressure at which they are designed to operate, must not have:
any cut over 25mm or 10% of the section width of the tyre (whichever is the greater) on the outside of the tyre, deep enough to reach the ply or cord
any internal or external lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure
any ply or cord exposed internally or externally
any penetration damage that has not been repaired
In addition, the grooves of the original tread pattern of the tyre must be at least 2mm deep across the full breadth of the tread and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.
As for the age of the tyre, I guess it comes down to common sense. It's there on the side of the tyre for all to see, so it's not like the age of the tyre is a secret. Any part worn vendor worth using, will let you inspect the tyres, so their age and condition is easily checked. That said, if making checks like that is too much hassle, then buying new is probably best. Using part worn does seem to be less wasteful though.

Posted

The majority of part worn tyres entering the UK come from Germany. The suggestion they come from written off vehicles is untrue.

Obviously it pays to use a reputable supplier as there are always going to be dodgy back street garages, where cash is king and the origin of the tyres cannot be checked or relied upon. You pays your money and takes your chances in these cases I guess.

That said, there are reputable and safe suppliers out there.

By law, it is illegal to supply a part-worn tyre that is capable of being fitted to a motor vehicle or trailer unless certain conditions are met regarding specific markings and the general condition of the tyre.

Most importantly, all types of part-worn tyre must be marked 'PART WORN', any repairs to tyres must comply with British Standards, and it is illegal to have unsafe tyres in possession for sale.

In the guide

The legislation

Marking

Condition

Part-worn retreaded tyres

Repaired tyres

Tyres in storage

Penalties

The legislation

The Motor Vehicle Tyres (Safety) Regulations 1994 set out minimum safety standards for the supply of part-worn tyres. To comply, it is important that you and your staff are fully aware of these Regulations.

Under the Regulations, it is illegal to supply any part-worn tyre that is capable of being fitted to a motor vehicle or trailer unless the conditions detailed below are met.

Marking

Part-worn tyres (except retreads) should have an EC approval mark (for example E11) and a speed and load capacity index (for example 76 S) moulded into the sidewall at the time of manufacture.

In addition, all types of part-worn tyres must be marked 'PART-WORN' in upper case letters at least 4mm high.

This wording must be permanently and legibly applied to the tyre, otherwise than by hot-branding or cutting into the tyre and adjacent to every approval mark.

Rubber labels can be cold vulcanised to the tyre and are available from companies that advertise in the trade press.

Condition

Part-worn tyres, whether deflated or inflated to the highest operating pressure at which they are designed to operate, must not have:

any cut over 25mm or 10% of the section width of the tyre (whichever is the greater) on the outside of the tyre, deep enough to reach the ply or cord

any internal or external lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure

any ply or cord exposed internally or externally

any penetration damage that has not been repaired

In addition, the grooves of the original tread pattern of the tyre must be at least 2mm deep across the full breadth of the tread and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.

As for the age of the tyre, I guess it comes down to common sense. It's there on the side of the tyre for all to see, so it's not like the age of the tyre is a secret. Any part worn vendor worth using, will let you inspect the tyres, so their age and condition is easily checked. That said, if making checks like that is too much hassle, then buying new is probably best. Using part worn does seem to be less wasteful though.

Quote,"Using part worn does seem to be less wasteful though" not in my books, what price is safety and peace om mind? What if you had an accident heaven forbid not fatal, (the risk is there)and if it was atrributed to your part worn tyre, your responsibility how would you feel if if seriously affected other people or you and your passengers. I don't want that kind of grief or to have any possible serious or otherwise accidents on my conscience.

Posted

I think you will find that new tyres become 'part-worn' as soon as you start using them...

Posted

I think you will find that new tyres become 'part-worn' as soon as you start using them...

That is NOT the point in question. I know when buying NEW what I am letting myself in for, buying secondhand not knowing where they have come from or any potential abuse is unknown.

It seems that you will never be convinced nor I so as far as I am concerned it is end of chat. No further posts from me on this subject.

Posted

I use local tyre supplier Halls Auto as I trust them and they are equipped with Tyron tools.