Carver (Truma) mover problems

Question

Posted

Hi all

stumbled across you when trying to find a solution to my problem, signed up instantly, as you all seem so knowledgeable

so my problem is

my motor mover was inherited from a family member a couple of years ago.

the van has been in storage most of the year.

getting it out I knew the battery would probably be dead, so brought it home to charge, after charging for a few days its saying full charge

took battery back to caravan and coupled up, the motor mover didn't work.

we brought the van home, struggled to get it on the drive, and did some investigating

we found a lose wire which is now fixed soldered and put back on. so we thought ah that was the problem, silly us for thinking that. the mover will run but only of the handset is right next to the aerial. so yes we changed the batteries even bought lithium ones from Maplin at stupid prices to make sure.

we have just took the van out or a long weekend before our annual Cornwall trip next week, and the mover is still not working.

tested our friends battery and it seemed to work ok, but we didn't test it over a long period of time, so took our battery back to shop (less than 12 months old) they tested and load tested it and they say its fine.

took the battery back to van after they checked and tested it again, it worked for about 10 seconds, and then nothing, unless i went right up to the aerial again. we literally can not use it unless my wife sits in the van with handset on aerial and me directing.

so the shop is saying there is nothing wrong with battery, and without spending out another £100 for a another 110ah battery, what do I do???

any carver experts out there? some people mention resetting the handset to the mover?? or is this just bull

so if anybody could help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Gary

6 answers to this question

Posted

That fact that the mover works when you are close to the aerial says that you do not need to reset the handset to the mover

BUT is the aerial the full length it needs to be has it been chewed off or caught and ripped short or even just pulled back into the caravan ???

NOT a Carver expert but have had a mover for 10 years and even now I find out new things

When I get too close to the caravan on the wrong side (it is a metal box after all) it doesn't work but by moving away it does

Someone will be along shortly with experience

Posted

Hi Gary,

I'd suggest that if it works ok whilst near to the receiver aerial, you have a problem either with the transmitter or receiver. By it working at all it must be coded correctly, so I can't see a problem there. Do Truma have a website where you can ask for technical advice.

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Did you say it worked OK with a different battery? ?

But when you put yours back it didn't?

Maybe your mates battery was of a larger (amperes) than the one you have.

I had a relatively new battery- about 18 months old - which seemed ok for the 12 stuff on the caravan, but didnt like the mover. Caravan batteries have a rough life - hard use then standing going flat for months, then a quick charge.

If it works well with an alternate battery, I would consider a new one.

There are several guys here who wll come out and check the mechanics and electrics.

Best of luck

Maurice

Posted

so what appened??

Posted

Hi

Had problems with my mover one minute it worked. next it did not, Battery checked out ok on my drop tester, also checked it with my electronic battery tester it was coming up fine. Still suspected battery purchased new battery , works fine now. Over the years repairing vehicles I have found Batteries do funny things, nothing worse than going to start a vehicle then it does not work. Suspect battery get rid of it.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Well it works if handset is next to the aerial so handset should not need resetting to control board. However never say never so to reset... Press and hold the reset button on the main control board for 3 seconds, let go and a red or green LED will start flashing, now switch on handset and if they connect, the control board will go through a self test and the LED will stop flashing.

The handset should then work perfectly at any reasonable distance away

Aerial length is perhaps a red herring as I test later ones using just the aerials little spade connection! however, it's possible the aerial wire is too close to other wiring that may interfere with the signal.

For the moment though, I suspect the receiver/sender on the control board is failing and may well need replacing