Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Awning pole quick-lock system problems

Question

Posted

My previous awning was an Innaca Mercury 360 which was brilliant, we only changed it as it didn't fit the new caravan properly (and my wife wanted a full awning so we leave everything set up without falling over anything). I bought (from EBay) a Kampa Carnival full size awning that used the same aluminium poles with the quick lock (lever/cam mechanism) as the previous Innaca awning.

We've just got back from eight nights away and as usual, I put the awning up carefully as I HATE loose awnings that flap around in the wind, the roof panel was nicley tensioned so you could use it as a drum. The next day the wind got up and the awning was flapping around and seemd very loose everywhere. I re-tensioned all of the poles and all was good, assuming that I simply hadn't done it properly first time round. the same thing happened the next day so this time when I re-tensioned the poles I put a pen mark on the pole. The next day all was again slack and every pole had moved, shown clearly by the pen mark. Further investigation showed that pegging the awning down tight actually caused the (locked) poles to start to close up, when the wind got up this further assisted the poles closing up.

The awning is three years old but hardly used so I doubt the cam-locks are worn, but anything's possible. Anyone use a better locking system for poles? This is a big awning (1022 awning rail on our 'van) so I need it to stay tight especially when the wind starts to get up, so any improvements in pole locks would be appreciated.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Posted

Kampa have been known to replace these - they then seem to work OK

Posted

I took my poles pieces and added an rubber pad to the cam pad. This has solved the problem.

Posted

I fitter jubilee clips to all poles and slide them to the joint and nip them up (its a pain but it cures the problem )

Posted

Not got Cam lock awning system

but the old fashioned type of fittings

to tighten the awning I peg it down and then tighten the sides using an Awning Companion

works for us we have had the awning up for 4 weeks without any slackening off of the poles

Posted

I fitter jubilee clips to all poles and slide them to the joint and nip them up (its a pain but it cures the problem )

We do this, using cheap and nasty clips. They are no good for hoses, but ideal cheap fixing for

slack awning frame. They are always on the frame, so tightening them in the right place is a two minute job the day after the awning is erected. This a common cure for this problem.