Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

British couple robbed in France

25 posts in this topic

Posted

British couple are robbed in their campervan in France after thieves knocked them out with sleeping gas

Local police suspect that they were gassed after receiving reports of Eastern European gangs preying on holidaymakers in the same way. Miss Keeney believes it is the only way they would have been robbed because she would have heard intruders.

Daily Mail

I really wouldn't be able to sleep at a service station

Posted

MARK !!! You Daft Wullie, is it really worth dragging this one up again ? is it get France week again ? It's been proved by anaesthetists this cannot happen. The " Daily Snail " are very slow on this this year, it's as bad as the " we're going to have a Bar-b- q summer " trite to try and keep holiday money in the country.

By the same token how many were robbed in England last week.

Happy caravanning, indoors, from a very worrying, unsafe, filthy, noisy caravan site somewhere in North Holland.

Posted

You won't get france bashing from me, can't wait to get back.

Its not the how its the why. The why being why sleep in service stations. I wouldn't do it in any country.

Posted

Sure it is not an April fool joke as surely the being gassed is a hoax? Agree we would never sleep in a service area. Why is it motorhomers spend a lot more on their vehicles and then try and skimp on the cost of a pitch?

Posted

Why is it motorhomers spend a lot more on their vehicles and then try and skimp on the cost of a pitch?

Could be that they take those savings into account pre-purchase when working out total ownership costs?

Posted

I thought this subject had been put to bed. Why then are French Police (aledgedly) offering credence to it?

Is there an 'official' view on it anywhere - e,g. UK Foreign Office, Caravan Club?

Would love to know.

Posted

When as "Tourers & Tenters we see the fact that someone has a police incident number or insurance claim ( that's been paid out ) instead of a friend of mother in laws sisters ex boyfriend it'll be worth selling up our pride and joy and buying a property in a gated community ( siege mentality ) !!! Happy caravanning, indoors.

I was once told " It always rains in Wales " but spent 20 odd yrs going down to our favourite site at Laugharne and had great times and some wonderful weather.

1 person likes this

Posted

I was once told " It always rains in Wales " but spent 20 odd yrs going down to our favourite site at Laugharne and had great times and some wonderful weather.

We use a site in Laugharne - Antshill - same one per chance?

Posted

Having done overnight on airs for the last 15/20 years , last year we had our first attempted break in , being light sleepers and also on our guard we were aware of noises outside, as soon as we moved the culprit was on his toes across the car/caravan park , I think from now on I will drive through the night (night driving is not a problem for me )

I know the general opinion of this forum is to divert off the autoroute , but I can't be a+++d with finding ,booking in , waiting for barriers to open to get underway from a site

Frequent comfort breaks ,leg stretch , fresh air , and I am ok , yep the next day I will be out for the count on relax chairs but I will be there in the sun

Posted

When travelling to/from Calais, what would I rather do?

Pay €60 for one night (8-10 hours) at La Bien Assise. Or, pay nothing at La Baie de Somme Aire de Service with its dedicated caravan area. Dedicated camping car area, boulangerie at reasonable prices, free showers and no booking in or out.

Decisions, decisions!

1 person likes this

Posted

Pay €60 for one night (8-10 hours) at La Bien Assise. Or, pay nothing at La Baie de Somme Aire de Service with its dedicated caravan area. Dedicated camping car area, boulangerie at reasonable prices, free showers and no booking in or out.

Decisions, decisions!

What autoroute is that on , we are traveling to Agde via Paris , Orleans ,Clermont Ferrand etc ,taking an evening shuttle

Posted

Hi Kevin,

Yes Ants Hill, we first pulled on for a couple of nights on our first " big tour " expecting to do all of Wales and then on down the A5 back to Leic's, the welcome from Geoff and all the family and the fact the kids loved it we stayed for 2 weeks, that was 30 yrs ago and since then visited for long weekends sometimes up to ten times a year, the kids grew up with new friends, we became very good friends of many, unfortunately a few are now not with us. We were down there a few weeks ago and had dinner with Geoff and Jane, our lads have just fitted another garage door at the house. The Browns isn't the same nowadays since Tommy passed, but hey! times change and so must we. We now live in France but hold some fantastic memories of our early caravanning days in West Wales. Happy caravanning, indoors.

( Ray Leicester ).

1 person likes this

Posted

The Royal College of Anaesthetists believes it would be impossible. It has issued a statement saying: ‘Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas powered by a large compressor.’

Posted

From 2006. It's an insurance dodge!!!!!

"Dear Mr xxxx ,

Thank you for your enquiry. I would like to inform you that you are not the first enquirer with this question. Professor Hatch, our Clinical Advisor, has given the following previous comments:

"I can give you a categorical assurance that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious with ether without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect of the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a rag, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day.

There are much more powerful agents around now, some of which are almost odourless. However, these would be unlikely to be able to achieve the effect you describe, and the cost would be huge enough to deter any thief unless he was after the crown jewels. The only practicable agent is probably the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege - I advised the BBC on their programme about this. The general feeling is that they used an agent which is not available outside the KGB!

Finally, unsupervised anaesthesia, which is what we are really talking about is very dangerous. In the Moscow siege about 20% of victims died from asphyxia, because their airways were unprotected. If the reports you talk about are true I would have expected a significant number of deaths or cases of serious brain damage to have been reported."

I hope this information is helpful to you.

The Royal College of Anaesthetists

Posted

What autoroute is that on , we are traveling to Agde via Paris , Orleans ,Clermont Ferrand etc ,taking an evening shuttle

It's on the A16 towards Abbeville. An hour and a bit from Calais.

Posted

Decisions, decisions!

Bien Assise..........60 euros a night ???............really

\hats gone up with a bang

Posted

Decisions, decisions!

Bien Assise..........60 euros a night ???............really

\hats gone up with a bang

Posted

Priced it yesterday. My family of 4 was €60.10 for 1 night in August! The one and only time I stayed previously, several years ago, it was €48 for one night!

Posted

Pommiers De trois pays in Licques

Not that far from Guines well appointed and half the price , this will be our third time, handy for the routes up from the south ,about 30/40 mins from tunnel a touch more for ferries in Calais

Check it out worth a look

Posted

Decisions, decisions!

Why on earth would you pay 60Euro? Chateau du Gandspette near Eperlecques - 14Euro per nifght with Camping Cheques.

Posted

Priced it yesterday. My family of 4 was €60.10 for 1 night in August! The one and only time I stayed previously, several years ago, it was €48 for one night!

Wow..........thats expensive

Sounds like this is the British couple getting robbed

Posted

With prices akin to those charged by the bien assise ,little wonder a lot of people opt for an overnight on the autoroute , as much as £10 an hour for a refresh ,that IS a trip off ,that site is pricing itself out of camping/caravanning , last visit I did there I noticed a lot of eurocamp and statics, perhaps that is where they are going

Posted

Why on earth would you pay 60Euro? Chateau du Gandspette near Eperlecques - 14Euro per nifght with Camping Cheques.

Can you use Camping Cheques in August? As this place is comming in dearer then Bien Assise for 1 night. Over €62 !

Which is why I advocate Baie de Somme Aire de Service. But, if you can travel in high season and arrive about 10 pm for a reasonable price, then I' m still open to suggestion.

Posted

Can you use Camping Cheques in August? .............

No, I'm sorry but as I never holiday in August myself I didn't think of this. However their website shows that even without CampingCheques their price in August for 2 persons and 6A electric is only 32 Euro per night.

Posted

Having been told by Big Drinks about Baie de Somme Aire de Service we've used it going and coming back from France for the past four years and in fact will be there this Monday. Can't fault it at all and a dam site safer/ cleaner than the dump service stations we are forced to endure in parts of the UK.

1 person likes this