Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Might not bother to upgrade TomTom

10 posts in this topic

Posted

if google maps keeps improving like it is on Android, Might just get a cradle for the phone. Used it a few times now and its pretty good.

No POIs as far as I know but I don't use them much anyway

Posted

I recommend Waze its available on both Android and iOS. It uses real time crowd sourced traffic information to find the best routes. In other words its tracking you to see how fast the road is. So if drivers in front are experiencing traffic it can reroute you to avoid it.

Posted

We changed to a Garmin with lifetime maps upgrades every 3 months

As for POI's I always use Archies campsite ones although at present not got them in the variant used by the latest models of Garmin

also helps me Geocache

I prefer the larger screen on the units although the new car has Sat Nav built in so ................. got too many and as I can use the phone at the same time via the hands free system and have the Hawk eye camera system not used the old Tom Tom for a while now

Posted

I think it very much depends of what size screen you have on your sat nav. If you have one of the newer ones with a larger screen I can't see how a mobile phone would give you better performance. Do you get lane direction on a mobile?

David

Posted

I'm trying to decide whether to pay for a map upgrade on my present TomTom, which I've had for about 6 years (maps are about 2 years old) and I've always been impressed with (except for the fact that the battery won't hold charge), or get a new TomTom with free map upgrades for "life" and a bigger screen.

I do have a built in sat nav in the car which has a zillion POIs but it doesn't have as much information as TomTom, it isn't up to date and it occasionally gets its knickers in a twist and thinks it's in the middle of a field! I could update the maps on this but I still worry that all of a sudden it's going to say I'm 748 miles away from where I actually am!

Posted

I think it very much depends of what size screen you have on your sat nav. If you have one of the newer ones with a larger screen I can't see how a mobile phone would give you better performance. Do you get lane direction on a mobile?

David

I use Sygic on my Android phones uses Tom Tom mapping with free upgrades for life these are stored on the phone so no internet connection needed, can be installed on up to 3 devices and swapped over to new ones when you get them, has lane direction, route logging. Live data at extra cost £14.95 for the year all of Europe, has poi's but I tend to uses Archies Android app to find camping sites and click on navigate in that and then it goes straight to Sygic for the navigation, you can have a free 7 day trial of the full app on the Google play store

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm trying to decide whether to pay for a map upgrade on my present TomTom, which I've had for about 6 years (maps are about 2 years old) and I've always been impressed with (except for the fact that the battery won't hold charge), or get a new TomTom with free map upgrades for "life" and a bigger screen.

I do have a built in sat nav in the car which has a zillion POIs but it doesn't have as much information as TomTom, it isn't up to date and it occasionally gets its knickers in a twist and thinks it's in the middle of a field! I could update the maps on this but I still worry that all of a sudden it's going to say I'm 748 miles away from where I actually am!

Our so called SMART phones aren't too SMART as one is nearly 10 years old and the other 5 years old. It was cheaper to upgrade our TomTom than to buy two new phones. Besides we only use our phones very occasionally. Our old TomTom Classic will not hold a charge either so we have it in the runabout. Maps are also about 3 years old, but it still serves its purpose.

Posted

I use Sygic on my Android phones uses Tom Tom mapping with free upgrades for life these are stored on the phone so no internet connection needed, can be installed on up to 3 devices and swapped over to new ones when you get them, has lane direction, route logging. Live data at extra cost £14.95 for the year all of Europe, has poi's but I tend to uses Archies Android app to find camping sites and click on navigate in that and then it goes straight to Sygic for the navigation, you can have a free 7 day trial of the full app on the Google play store

Thanks for this tip! Loaded this onto my phone and it seems excellent! So much so that I've actually paid for it! The fact that the phone screen is fractionally smaller than my TomTom is more than compensated for by the fact that the phone screen is so much higher quality. The maps are completely up to date (new road near our house built in the last year but not even yet open is already shown). I will link it to a bluetooth speaker as my car isn't bluetooth equipped but the phone speaker isn't too bad anyway.

The only down side is that I can't get it to work on my tablet. But then, that's probably too bulky for the car anyway.

For anybody wanting to try it, you get 7 days free. You just need room to download whatever maps you want. I needed about 1.5GB to fit on UK, France and Italy maps.

Posted

Jim did you know it can be stored on a sd card if your phone supports a sd card the instructions are on the Sygic web site and today's upgrade allows those of us running the latest Android version to do the same.

I wonder why it won't run on your tablet it quite happy on my Hudl.

Posted

Steve I saw about that upgrade. My phone doesn't support an SD card but there's plenty of room. I could fit most of Europe on there if I really needed to.

Not sure why it wouldn't work on the tablet. It's a 10.1 inch screen though so too bulky for the car anyway. It might be worth buying a cheap tablet though, I've seen mounting brackets for a 7" one. Having said that, I think the screen on the phone is fine anyway, like I said, my TomTom isn't much bigger and, being much older technology, isn't anywhere near as good quality.