Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gas hose life expectancy

Question

Posted

A quick question about life expectancy of 'high pressure' rubber gas hose.

We've just opened the van up (after 4 months with no use) and after a couple of days without problems the gas appeared to be running low, however I knew that the bottle had only seen a couple of weekends use at the end of last season.

After some investigation it turned out that the high pressure gas hose from the propane bottle to the bulkhead regulator was blocked with the oily gunge that appears to affect rubber hose and regulators from time to time. Anyway problem was solved by replacing the hose (I was lucky to find a caravan dealer near Pwllheli open on a Sunday afternoon!).

While replacing the hose I noticed the it was date stamped, turns out it was 9 years old, so didn't feel too bad about the £15 cost of a new one.

So I was wondering is there an advisory/mandatory life for high pressure rubber gas hose. I know in the aviation fuel business we have very strict rules about hose life so it got me thinking how it works for rubber gas hose. The fact that the gas hose is date stamped suggests there might a be a good reason for the date being there.

Thanks.

This post has been promoted to an article

13 answers to this question

Posted

Under CORGI rules we had to change them after 5 years past the date stamp, regardless of how long they had been in active use. The oily gunge is a bigger worry if it has got into the regulator, a well known problem in recent years.

The hoses on my wagon hit 5 years this year, and I shall be changing them for Mr gaslows finest braided hoses, might even push the boat out and fit an auto changeover valve, bottles seldom run out, but they never run out at a good time !!!!!

Posted

I thought it was 5 years but no doubt the experts here will correct me if wrong.

Posted

I was told 5 years by the last engineer but he normally changes even earlier as apparently some black hose has been prone to perforation.......

geoff

Posted

http://www.bcga.co.uk/index.html

I also think its 5 years. I believe there is a reference somewhere on this website.

Im not sure but some manufacturers may stamp with the "BEST BEFORE" date (so to speak) so the date on the hose maybe the date it should be changed.

If someone can be bothered to look

Having said all that I thought that the braided stainless type was now the norm and their life is indefinite (or is it?)

Posted

date of manufacture on the hose, steel pipes 20 years

Posted

Just looked on those on my household cylinders,which are new, and they have last years date on.

geoff

Posted

A quick question about life expectancy of 'high pressure' rubber gas hose.

We've just opened the van up (after 4 months with no use) and after a couple of days without problems the gas appeared to be running low, however I knew that the bottle had only seen a couple of weekends use at the end of last season.

After some investigation it turned out that the high pressure gas hose from the propane bottle to the bulkhead regulator was blocked with the oily gunge that appears to affect rubber hose and regulators from time to time. Anyway problem was solved by replacing the hose (I was lucky to find a caravan dealer near Pwllheli open on a Sunday afternoon!).

While replacing the hose I noticed the it was date stamped, turns out it was 9 years old, so didn't feel too bad about the £15 cost of a new one.

So I was wondering is there an advisory/mandatory life for high pressure rubber gas hose. I know in the aviation fuel business we have very strict rules about hose life so it got me thinking how it works for rubber gas hose. The fact that the gas hose is date stamped suggests there might a be a good reason for the date being there.

Thanks.

This post has been promoted to an article

Surely this should have been picked up on a service in the past 4 years?

Posted

Surely this should have been picked up on a service in the past 4 years?

Good point...when my 'van was serviced by Mobile Engineer last year he noted year on piping and the years on each of the three tyres too.

geoff

Posted

Good point...when my 'van was serviced by Mobile Engineer last year he noted year on piping and the years on each of the three tyres too.

geoff

My mobile service Engineer always notes the dates on our van too

We stopped using Black hose on his advice as it was perishing after 6 months the Orange high pressure hose is dated and he changes it as needed within the 5 year limit BUT if it shows signs of perishing it gets changed.

Posted

Every day I use a lovely soft piece of very supple rubber hose to connect the various gas appliances I'm fixing, for the last 16 years, it's been the original standard cheap black hose I took off my old dads 1974 Avondale?!!!

Conversely, I cut a piece of orange hose off at a dealers and fitted to my van, 18 months later and despite not seeing the light of day inside the gas locker, it was cracked from end to end?!!!

So moral is quality, good stuff lasts and poor does not but sadly this has little to do with the cost!!.. so only hope is getting it from a trusted source.

Perhaps 'bes.co.uk' might be such a source and for stainless, certainly a darn sight cheaper than Gaslow!!!

Posted

Can be very dependant on its location as well, Our van now being seasonal is not moved so allowing us to use big bottles, I bring the rubber hose out of the locker to the regulator on the bottle, About every year the hose that is in open sunlight is hard and chalky, the same hose within the locker and out of light is absolutly fine, Same with say outside barbeque/cooker hose, i would change a lot more regular. Incidentally last year as Mrs fish does so much baking and makes bread every day we bought a full size Calor cooker for use in the awning, We run this off the largest >> 36kg ?? cylinder outside with a pipe coming into the awning, All regs Etc are adhered to and safety comes well first, But it has been a great success apart from it is 500mm wide and the caravan doorway is 500mm the windows are all about 490, But where there is a will there is a way, Our cooker now resides in the site shop/office awaiting our return where it will hop back on a sack cart for a little ride.LOL.

Posted

one of the problems with the date stamping of the tube is that caravan shops are apparently not selling the correctly dated stuff.

A show room near us is selling tube marked 2013 ??

What date should it be and is there any lee way?

Posted

one of the problems with the date stamping of the tube is that caravan shops are apparently not selling the correctly dated stuff.

A show room near us is selling tube marked 2013 ??

What date should it be and is there any lee way?

That is the date it rolled down the production line, normally marked with month / year, i.e. 09/2013. So from manufacture to wholesaler to dealer who probably sells very little, there will always be quite a date difference. Like tyres and the date code, it's for information, under corgi it was a fail, but under gas safe it is not, so much for progress, I can't fail a system for having pipework marked over five years old anymore, it is not ' immediately dangerous, or ' at risk ', only ' not to current standards ', unless of course, signs of damage to pipework. Not sure if thats a good change or not to be honest.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Sizing an awning
      By Gray · Posted
      Hi and welcome  ignore the fact I have a motorhome I used to have a caravan for 25 years    Find the beading on the awning and measure it that's how to measure and awning length which is how the awnings are classified     
    • Dog to France
      By Surfer · Posted
      As per some of the many many rumours apparently if Brexit happens, it may be reduced to one year.  We can accept the blood test once but to have it every time the dogs are given the rabies shot would be a bit much.  When we lived in Southern Africa the dogs had to have regular rabies injections but never had to have blood tests and rabies is more prevalent in southern Africa than in Europe.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tangotonyb

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts