Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dead Sat Nav/radio OUCH!

20 posts in this topic

Posted

My Tiggy is fitted with a VW RNS510 all singing all dancing radio/satnav/DVD / Media player .

It died , no warning just dead 'Its electornic processes are now 'istory! 'its off ! its kicked the electronic bucket, 'it's shuffled off 'is mortal coil/transitor/capacitor , run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' blue screen of death invisible!! THIS IS AN ex Sat nav !!

So Took it to BBR Remain in Rochester ( VW Recomended ) for them to assess , nope they say beyond repair , this is a 3yr 2month old £1700 ( when added as extra ) unit , cost from VW off the shelf about £2k

So ... next step will be a complaint under the sale of goods regs to see if VW will cough up a good will contribution towards a new one

I can get a non OEM copy unit Or second hand from ebay for around £4/500 .

To add insult t injury I was just about to take out a belated extended warantee , should have done it last November when the 3 yr VW warantee ran out , but kept forgetting to get on with it .

An off the shelf radio from Halfords etc would not work in the car , has to be a dedicated integrated unit to communicate with the CAN Bus system , so I am stuffed

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd check out any VW forums for some good 'anorak' advice.

Buying used units may not marry up to your vehicle and could end up an expensive paperweight!

Posted

You could try one of these types of units http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-EOS-JETTA-POLO-TIGUAN-CAN-BUS-ADAPTOR-CAN-01-/290380689867?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item439c09b1cb I have fitted one to my daughters CAN bus equipped Renault Clio to allow fitment of a after market head unit and it works ok.

Posted

There are some excellent converter leads/kits about to fit other head units, It would need proper investigation , If you like i can dig out a company i use for this sort of thing they are very good. I cant really go with the beyond repair bit, just doesnt sound right to me, Have you tried a second opinion,

http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/clearance might be worth a call.

Posted

My son had bought a identical unit to upgrade his vw so have borrowed that for time being , and it works fine , now have ordered a newer unit from ebay with warranty and money back if for any reason does not work , the price was a quarter over vw price ,

Gives me time to take on dealer under SOGA to get some recompense for dead unit , the ebay one will sell on easily

Posted

I think this is the same unit as my Passat has. I don't think it was standard in mine, the various manuals I got with the car include one for a non sat nav audio system, I think the previous owner must have upgraded it.

I did try to find a more up to date mapping DVD (without paying VW prices!) but the one I got proved to be exactly the same as the maps already installed.

I also looked up the cost of the unit on Ebay and through VW - all I can say is, I hope mine keeps working for a while yet!!

Does the unit you're buying on ebay include a copy of the maps?

If you haven't already seen it, this is quite a useful guide to your rights as a customer although it's actually aimed at businesses.

Posted

Hi Jim

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-RNS-510-Sat-Navigation-Version-P-2014-MAPS-/271414393397?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item3f318efa35#ht_1405wt_1153

This is typical of units available from ebay , and as you can see the latest maps are included , they also update the firmware , as was done on my , now , defunct unit ( the upgrade was ages ago so has no bearing on current problem ) the upgrade smooths out operation etc

The units come with a GPS antenna to allow upgrading non satnav fitted cars ) Have hard drives , and can be loaded with your own selection of music , so removing the need to carry loads of CDs ,they play DVDs ( when parked ) , there are AUX inputs for connecting other audio inputs

The units are pretty much plug and play , and can be upgraded with bluetooth (done that ) , TVreceiver (thinking ) ,Ipod interface ( not too bothered ) and take input from reversing cameras ( factory fit )

Hence the high initial price

My son has fitted such a unit to his 04 Golf

Re sorting out VW , the dealer , even though I told them THEY are the ones that SOGA applies to , suggested initially aproaching VW direct to raise a customer complaint . So that has been done , next stage is for the dealer to look at the car and unit and report back to VW

The saga goes on !

Posted

I think this is the same unit as my Passat has. I don't think it was standard in mine, the various manuals I got with the car include one for a non sat nav audio system, I think the previous owner must have upgraded it.

I did try to find a more up to date mapping DVD (without paying VW prices!) but the one I got proved to be exactly the same as the maps already installed.

I also looked up the cost of the unit on Ebay and through VW - all I can say is, I hope mine keeps working for a while yet!!

Does the unit you're buying on ebay include a copy of the maps?

If you haven't already seen it, this is quite a useful guide to your rights as a customer although it's actually aimed at businesses.

Are the map discs as expensive as the Range Rover ones???

Posted

I think that would depend on where you buy them Neil. whistling.gif

£24.99 from this site. for the VW one.

They have other makes and models.

Anybody ever used them?

Posted

Does anybody know how you get these units out? Would like to swap mine for the satnav one.

Posted

Does anybody know how you get these units out? Would like to swap mine for the satnav

My son is the wiz on this .I am getting him to write a guide for you , will add it later

But in essence it is a matter of popping out the trim surrounding the existing radio

4screws to release the existing then plug in New

Posted

My son is the wiz on this .I am getting him to write a guide for you , will add it later

But in essence it is a matter of popping out the trim surrounding the existing radio

4screws to release the existing then plug in New

That sounds great Rodders. Thanks very much.

Posted

That sounds great Rodders. Thanks very much.

Better still this vids will show how to get trim etc out then radio , to install VW radio is just the reverse , make sure you get the code with the new unit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9YPSMDCUw

sorry about the stiring music !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1_eYLP5i3U

ONLY USE PLASTIC TOOLS !!!

Posted

Well ! VW looked at the car/satnav and in effect said tough luck , so a quiet reminder to the dealer about SOG regs ilicited an offer of £700 towards the £2015 a new unit would cost .

But they would not stand by the offer if I was to get a second hand unit , which I have already done , as new , guaranteed £525 .

So that is that sad2.gif

No offer of free service , extended warranty etc ,only a new unit sold by them or nothing

Posted

If they have offered you £700 towards a new one, and you have that in writing, the £700 can be spent by yourself wherever you like. You do not have to accept it as a "buy from us only" offer, that is illegal. You have the right to purchase any compatible unit from any source you like. Forcing you to buy from them contravenes the SOGA act and EU legislation on consumer rights.

Ive been down a VERY similar route regarding a Mondeo headunit.

Posted

Clarify the offer.

I would hit them with the following, or very similar:

NOTE.

All correspondence is copied and registered with legal representation for the benefit of both parties, pending any future legal action.

1. Can you please clarify and confirm, your offer of £700 is a cash reduction from the price of a new headunit for vehicle XXXXXXX if headunit is purchased from yourselves only?

2. Can you clarify and confirm the offer of £700 towards a new headunit is not applicable if the headunit is purchased from any other source, other than yourselves?

3. Can you clarify and confirm your offer will be withdrawn if i exercise my rights, under SOGA and EU statutes on consumer rights, and make the decision to purchase from another supplier?

4. Can you finally clarify and confirm your offer is solely binding for a sale of headunit from yourselves?

NOTE: Point 4 contravenes point 3, and is illegal. Can you clarify your position, thank you.

Posted

I would pursue it through the small claims court as the unit is an integral part of the vehicle. The Sale of Goods Act specifically refers to "Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety

That unit at £1700 should last longer than 3 years! You may find that once they receive court papers, the unit will be replaced FOC as they will not want bad publicity. The small claims court will cost you about £25 and money well worth spending once you have given them every chance to reimburse you.

Posted

I got my RNS510 unit off eBay for £420 from Lithuania (ask no questions) and followed the installation as described on Utube. All went well until I switched on the ignition and the airbag light came on with a warning bleep.

I rang the garage and told them and they said I would have to take it in to be re-programmed but they couldn't do it until April. I said will the airbags still work and they said probably not?mThis was a main dealer.

I decided to look for a non main dealer and found one a few miles away. Rang them up and they said bring it in now. I arrived and the mechanic plugged his laptop in and in a few moments all was well. £20 well spent. I have now found a VW garage that charges half what the dealership charges.

Meanwhile the satnav is working extremely well after I realised I shouldn't have put the satellite unit so close to the radio.

Excellent system but would love to be able to put some pois of all the campsites on it but it appears the file format is different.

If anyone knows how to do it then I am more than open to suggestions!

Posted

A coupled of replies to above comments

Brassneck , the offer was verbal , but I presume I can get it I writing , then follow up as you and Surfer suggest

Oops Challenger ,should have warned you not to switch ignition on until airbag warning light is plugged in again , I did the same but I am lucky my son has the full VW diagnostic program so he reset all alarm warnings

As for camp site poi I seem to have some already programed , have you tried a Google search ?

Posted

As for camp site poi I seem to have some already programed , have you tried a Google search ?

Yes tried google. There are some campsites already on but not CLs which we have started using.

Managed to find a list of all the campsites in the uk including CLs. They have the lat and long points so are more accurate than the address. Will just have to enter them manually.

Have look here. http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/gps2/GreatBritain.pdf

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard