Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X Box/Play Station etc advice

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I am interested to know more about these games machines.

Their advertising gives no detailed idea at all what they consist of.

Presumably I am supposed to know already what they are all about.

But I don't.

(A year ago, my interest in buying a tablet was similarly made difficult. This forum was invaluable then).

Which machine is the better, if any?

What are the games about, and which are best to invest in at first?

Do I look to buy the latest version, or look at the cheaper, more dated version?

Advice will be most welcome.

PLEASE!

John.

Posted

Its a minefield as usual with this type of thing but i know abit.Right this is what ive learned having had 2 teenage boys stretching over the last 10 years, theyre now aged 27 and 17 so not really boys now BUT

They are no real differences game wise between the xbox 360 and the playstation 3 however the PS3 plays Blueray discs and the 360 doesnt, There are a million games available for both PS3 and 360 ranging in price from about £2 up to £40-ish

Now to the new ones

BOTH Playstation 4 AND Xbox One do not play the games from the older versions so all game will be expensive and not a large library yet (although this will get better)

We have in our sitting room a Wii and an xbox 360 with kinnect, we ditched the old dvd recorder and use the 360 to play any dvd's we want to watch BUT we also stream movies etc straight from the pc to the tv through the xbox.

Posted

Thanks trem1,

Your information is very useful.

It seems to me that the best thing for me to do is look at the older machines (less expensive for a trial), and see how I go.

Re games, I suppose that i will just have to buy one or two and see which grab me best. (I've never seen an Xbox or Play Station yet.

Thanks again.

Posted

Get a 2nd hand ps3 or xbox from Game or somewhere like that then you can buy cheap games and the trade in value isn't too bad if you don't like it or the games

Posted

Get a 2nd hand ps3 or xbox from Game or somewhere like that then you can buy cheap games and the trade in value isn't too bad if you don't like it or the games

Yep thats sound advice

Posted

Thanks to you both Markf and Trem1 - that is sound advice, and will help me on the way.

Posted

I have an Atari in the loft..................sofa.gif

Posted

I have an Atari in the loft..................sofa.gif

Ours is in the cellar!

Posted

What are your top 10 favorite PlayStation games?

Posted

Good question Vicente.

I bought a PS3 with a couple of cheap games, but your recommendations would be great.

John

Posted

Is it sad that grown people should be playing children's games...

What did people do BEFORE these electronic mind numbing anti social boxes were sold to unsuspecting rich people?

Posted

Is it sad that grown people should be playing children's games...

What did people do BEFORE these electronic mind numbing anti social boxes were sold to unsuspecting rich people?

Well, guess we wern't playing on pc's and the internet either

Posted

Have you seen some of these games ??/ definitely NOT for children, we use them for family entertainment when we have a get-together, good fun for all involved

Posted

So much more than games consoles these days as well, they are blu ray disc players, a connection to internet content, you tube etc, e-mail access, skype, catch up tv services, gosh, every home should have, trouble is, you need a 5 year old around to set it up for you !!!!

Posted

Maurice what a grumpy old man you are ,we are both grey haired and have a Wii and X box 360 bought for when our grand children visit The Wii games can be hilarious when you have friends around after a few glass's of the wet stuff.

Posted

If you are asking about the best console today then it has to be PS4. over 2.1 million PlayStation 4 console have been sold within first 3 months of its launch and it hasn't every launched in Asia till date.

Posted

FWIW - the new XBox is following the same licensing model as Windows - a game will have to be registered on line and it will be registered to YOUR console only. No taking it around a friends house unless you take the entire console..... A retrograde step on Microsofts behalf IMHO.

Better off sticking to the 360 model and taking advantage of the old games as they will allegedly be releasing the new ones in dual format with the 360 version a few weeks behind the XBox-1

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard