Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Average speed cameras

19 posts in this topic

Posted

When we were travelling to Ireland last week, there were these average speed cameras along the roadworks on M50. How do they work and "do they catch" you out if your average speed is over the limit? My hubby says they must have one hell of a quick computer and data base. He reckons they are just for show. Jury is out for me.

Posted

Hi Jill, Believe me they more than pay for themselves. Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Average speed cameras record a digital image of the number plate same as the ANPR cameras

then they are linked to a series of multiplexed computers with a set time gap for each camera - pass a camera before you should and the printer runsthumbdown.gif

In the old days you could change lanes and not get caught as each lane wasn't linked to the other but they are now so it is irrelevant which lane you go in

it also works if you go through camera A and F too fast because there are situations where your number plate is obscured an now that loophole has been shut too.

So if you don't want points for each camera stay under the limit 2thumbsup.gif

Posted

Quote "Jury is out for me."

You know how to prove it!!!!!?????????

Posted

There are still numpties who don't understand the concept of AVERAGE speed , and surf between cameras , slow down for a camera , the speed up till the next one . a missive in the post is the next thing they know about average speed , there is a score board in the M25 works near Clackets . with a weekly hit rate , hummm good earner

Posted

The computing power required for average speed camera systems is pretty trivial. I too am amazed at the number of people who just don't get the concept and speed up between the cameras.

Personally I think they're a great idea. The traffic always seems to flow better & if you've got cruise control it's really quite pleasant to potter along.

1 person likes this

Posted

They work and they will catch the unaware or in most cases the stupid.

Posted

I always thought they were being compared with really good Speed Cameras! Glad I found this thread.

Posted

same concept as the traffic-flow measures on, for example, the M42... surprising how by actually reducing the speed limit at peak periods, travel times quicken...mostly

And there speaks a true and totally law abiding boy in blue, so take note one and all.

Posted

same concept as the traffic-flow measures on, for example, the M42... surprising how by actually reducing the speed limit at peak periods, travel times quicken...mostly

Yep very true I experienced that on many occasions and totally different from when I used to do a daily drive up the M42 in 1996.

Posted

I am constantly amazed at the number of drivers (in vehicles of all sizes) who do not comply with speed limits which are policed and enforced by average speed cameras.

Obliviously one doesn't know if other drivers simply don't understanding of how average speed cameras work or if they just have total disregard about the consequences of being caught as well as the consequences of traveling too fast in restricted situations.

Over the last couple of months I've spent much more time in the south east than previously, I've done many orbits of the M25 in both directions, between roadworks where there is a reduced speed limit and sections of 'managed motorway' with variable speed limits then from what I've seen their must be thousands of drives getting caught everyday ...

Posted

M42 bugs me, cos if you catch it at the wrong time, i.e. going to work or coming home (tea time traffic) it is bad......the junctions between 4a and the M40 junction..........mat.gif heading towards M5................

Posted

Coming to a place near you.............................................

Bedford is the first authority to have installed the first of many ASCs in a village on the A6 trunk road. Every road entering the county now has a large "welcome to the County of Bedford" sign with the addition of "county wide average speed cameras" and the declared interest of the council is to install as many as possible.

In a recent blog on a speed camera forum a commercial vehicle driver, who uses this road regularly, received three NIPs for speeds of between 38 and 42 mph in the 30 zone in the second week of operation . His problem is that he had done exactly the same the following week and was awaiting the next batch of brown envelopes.

These cameras are wireless, mounted on standard street lighting columns, and can be quickly removed and re-installed elsewhere. (and yes they comply with all the regulations)

Posted

I'm a truck driver and regarding the driver getting 3 NIPs all I can say is serves him right.

The majority of drivers I know are paid by the hour so what's the point in speeding ?

Also the majority of bosses I would guess would say tough if you lost your licence.

Posted

I HATE speed cameras in total!!

However if we are going to have them at all then the averaging one's seem the least intrusive. At least you know that you are "in a zone" and can drive accordingly. With the singles all you have is "flash" and along comes the envelope.

Speed cameras should become all proactive and not reactive. They should encourage you to obey the rules - not immediately punish for possibly the slightest error.

Therefore the Averaging type of cameras do this. If you do speed when knowingly in the zones it is your own fault.

I still HATE speed cameras.

Maurice

Posted

Hi all, What I dislike most about ASC's is the people who presume they can police other road users by staying in the outside lane at way below the speed limit. Thankfully I'm never in too great a hurry nowadays but if tosspot " I'm well within my rights " wishes to create a train behind, I'll gladly, safely and legally go up the inside. Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

I'm fully in agreement there, Indoors, rolling road blocks by self appointed traffic calmers are a curse :angry:

I think though Nottingham was first to introduce average cameras, Yellow Vultures as they are known locally for their apparent perched position on poles stretching across the road ready to pounce!

Like others it seems if we have to have them then they are better than odd unrelated

specs cameras, just as long as your told. Especially when 40mph drops to 30mph on the A610 without warning bar one small 30 sign among many others, that's while confused out of towners are returning to the M1 J26 out of the city..right money pot they are!

As a matter of fact, there is also one specs camera further up this road, this is the other side of a set of lights further up the A610, the lights are approached down a slope and beyond the vultures gaze. It's positioned so as to catch those unwary or accidently speeding up going down hill, apparently this camera holds or held the UK record for taking of £78000 in one month!!!!!

Posted

Perhaps its about time truly accurate speedometers were fitted to vehicles , with all the external technology available to pin point the position of a vehicle , GPS , mobile phone masts etc , these can easily be integrated into the car systems to provide an accurate read out , just look at your Tom Tom and see how the GPS recorded speed differs to the speedometer , Hence self appointed speed controllers usually running at anything up to 5mph below average speed limits , thinking they are spot on and every one else is speeding . Speed cameras ? bring em on , lets go the French way . Hide them , and ban warnings . Grumpy old man rant finished smug.gif

Posted

Speed cameras ? bring em on , lets go the French way . Hide them , and ban warnings . Grumpy old man rant finished smug.gif

If they did that most motorists would be done for speeding including yourself as no matter how careful any one is, there are times when a person unwittingly exceeds the speed limit. I agree with average speed cameras.