Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hybrid cars - not for towing - info please

19 posts in this topic

Posted

I have just seen - well noticed -- my first hybrid car. ..

I noticed it because it came up silently behind me, and "swished" silently by.

It looked very nice and from what I can gather the chap driving it gets about 75 mpg. Also pays no car tax.

So what is the downside of these vehicles?

For us - who just want a town car to run as cheaply as possible and use the Volvo just to be used as our Tow car.

Any ideas on what you think of them?

Cheapest prices, easy to maintain etc.

We are thinking of replacing our Renault Magan - which only has £30 vehicle tax - but it is now 9 years old and we will be looking at larger prices for the maintenance in the future.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Maurice

Posted

In 20 years time your Volvo will still be running, but the electric car will be kaput as apparently the batteries need replacing after 8 - 10 years. I do not think they are the future and will at some point be taxed. Imagine what it would do to the economy if every one switched to electric cars tomorrow. Unemployment would spiral out of control and the country would be bust within six months. However due to the very high cost of these vehicles it is unlikely to happen. BTW they should have the capability to tow, but battery life would be considerably shortened. Probably take you 3 days to get from Kettering to London towing a caravan.

Posted

... the batteries need replacing after 8 - 10 years...

At extortionate cost. Probably cost almost as much to replace as buying a new car. But as they haven't been around for that long yet, no-one actually knows what will happen at 8 or so years old. Do you want to spend all your hard earned cash on one and report back in a few years?

Posted

BTW how will they dispose of all the old car batteries so that it is still environmentally friendly?

Posted

Practically a Caravan had an item about the Lexus r300-450 including the hybrid this month, owners pretty much gave it the thumbs up, but looks like hybrids are not zero road rent like leccy cars, maybe a tax band lower.

Don't think I'll be rushing into getting one anytime soon.

As for the Renault migrane, mines a 53 plate, 120,000 miles on the clock, no signs of any expensive repair bills coming up, only cost a water pump and had a cam belt chucked on at the same time, rude not to.

Posted

Great idea but VERY resticted by the length of the cable !, Ann Summers stuff run on batteries , Cars run on petrol. Simple as ! But seriously at one time a lot of the batteries were on lease and a lot were servicable. So maybe something similar in pipeline, Although the BMW 7 on Hydrogen seems to be way in advance of batteries, maybe more to come in that line.Or Tesla seems to be storming America as we discuss, Although cant help thinking our Government will just double electricity prices.

Posted

BTW if one was driving an electric car and unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, is there any chance the batteries could leak out and damage the environment? How would they dispose of the damaged batteries?

Posted

I would think if they got flattened the police would come up with chargers

Posted

I would think if they got flattened the police would come up with chargers

Don't you mean air compressors to boost them up again? biggrin.png

Posted

have you seen this -- it looks as though BMW are taking it seriously...

http://www.bmw.com/c...room/index.html

Interesting..?

Nothing about PRICE though..

Posted

.... Although cant help thinking our Government will just double electricity prices ....

And there's the real issue ... it is all well and good us being challenged to run greener cars but if greener means more efficient then that means we use less fuel (whatever it is), that in turn reduces revenue to the government ... you just know they're going to make it up somewhere else ... heads they win ... tails we loose !

Posted

I thought that the Hybrid car ran on Petrol and charged the batteries

-- no need for the electric cable??

OK we all worry about petrol increases -- but it will be to a lesser extent as you are getting many more miles per gallon of petrol.

The main worry is the initial costs of the vehicle..

BUT if enough were produced then the price should come down???

Maurice

Posted

I thought that the Hybrid car ran on Petrol and charged the batteries

-- no need for the electric cable??

OK we all worry about petrol increases -- but it will be to a lesser extent as you are getting many more miles per gallon of petrol.

The main worry is the initial costs of the vehicle..

BUT if enough were produced then the price should come down???

Maurice

By the same token if more were produced, I bet that they will become subject to road tax and that the cost of VAT on electric will increase.

Posted

Whichever way you look at it, whichever system you look at (hybrid, electric only etc, etc) the REAL issue isn't about being "green", its about getting people to spend money, be it on a new car that the purchaser believes will save the planet, OR will get them to cough up more through fuel duty. I'm still convinced that if you look deep enough and consider the whole picture a lot of "green" alternatives are possibly more harmfull than what they intend to replace.

I don't know the real answers to any of it regarding trying to pollute less, but I do believe that a lot of the press surrounding "green cars" is just hyped up marketing mumbo jumbo to get folks to believe in it and spend more. While oil exists, governments will never REALLY want you to stop using it because they will then have to find a revenue replacement for it....

Posted

a few years ago we took a Lexus RX400h hybrid for an extended test drive. We were very impressed with its quietness and it was certainly quick off the mark. This used two electric motors and a standard petrol V6 engine.

After some discussion I made an offer for their demo, which was accepted. However, an hour or so later the manager, who we had been dealing with, 'phoned me back to say he was a bit worried about us using it for towing a fairly heavy 'van and had sought further advice from Lexus. Their feeling was that for most of the time, due to the weight, the petrol motor would be running which would result in very poor fuel economy so he couldn't advise us to continue with the purchase.

We'd previously lined up a test drive in a TDV8 Range Rover so we went ahead, and that was a completely different kettle of fish!

Nevertheless, we were both very impressed with the integrity of the Lexus manager and the Lexus itself.

Posted

That was a good thing from the Lexus dealer. I would commend them for their integrity even though it did cost them a sale..

I didnt think that the hybrid cars were designed for towing.

For around town and just general use the hybrid (petrol / electric) would be great.With economic running cost / low tax /government subsidised purchase - especialy in the early years.

The main initial problems - for me anyway - would be the high purchase price.

I cant see the purchace price coming down - without the taxes etc rising.

So rock and hard place comes to mind

.. Great idea at high initial prices. If we wait for initial prices to come down then the running cost (taxes etc) going up.

Maurice

Posted

If everyone switched to electric cars then wouldn't there be an increase in electricity consumption, so more greenhouse gasses produced via power stations. Also depending on the time of day the cost would be different and may not actually be as cheap as we think. Many power companies offer a night time tariff (was called economy 7 (showing my age now)) So cars should be charged at night. But since this is normally an off peak time won't this now become a peak time with more people charge their cars at night.

Here is a link from the states about the true cost of powering an all electric car. I like the analogy of petrol costing $2 at night, free at lunch time and $8 in the afternoon. A Nissan Leaf costs about 2 to 4 pounds to charge depending on when and where you charge it, mind you it will only give you a range of 124 miles on a 7 to 8 hout charge. Which is why I guess Hybrids are a better option improved range etc if you do longer trips.

As already stated above recycling the batteries will become a nightmare if not done properly.

Posted

If everyone switched to electric cars then wouldn't there be an increase in electricity consumption,

In addition, the NHS would go belly up along with your pension due to no funds.

Posted

I thought we were talking about HYBRID vehicles

As per the name of the topic....

-- ie petrol /electric.. nothing to do with being connected to any external electrical source..

The petrol engine charges the batteries and they propel the vehicle??

Or have I got the system wrong.

I can see your thinking for electric vehicles..

Maurice