Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windows or Mac or What?

15 posts in this topic

Posted

My old pc is like me, getting slow, so it's time to replace, but which o/s to go for?

I know I've got a couple of tablets that run paranoin, and really like the way that works, but I do like a big lump that I call my main p.c., and so used to windows now.

Do I get a powerhouse windows 8 machine?, heard mixed reviews about this, and seems to suffer the weekley upgrades that W7 suffers from.

Is mac o/s similar to windows with a touch of android feel about it?

Will go and play in the big shops, but just looking for some hands on feedback to save a whole lot of time,

Ta

Posted

I'm sure you will get vastly differing an opinionated answers to this question.

I am a Mac person (and have been for the last 13 years), my current machine is a 13inch MacBook Air ... for me it is a stunning machine, it's weight and appearance are terrific, the hard drive is 'solid state' which makes a tremendous difference to the speed, even though the processor is nothing to write home about by today's standards (i5 dual core) when combined with the Mac operating system and and the hard drive everything seems to work in an instant. One thing for sure is that they're not cheap, this little beast cost nearly £1000 but for me that is a price I was happy to pay (each to his own).

I also have a Windows Laptop again an i5 dual core which is quite old fashioned by today's standards (for reasons of compatibility with a particular corporate IT system I have to interface with I have to have this machine) this runs W7 Professional ... as a result my experience with the MacBook Air I bought an after market solid state hard-drive upgrade for this machine and my experience is that it makes a very noticeable difference, an upgrade I would recommend to anyone (bought from Crucial - highly recommended).

As a main PC, if you want a desktop as opposed to a laptop, then the i-mac is a great piece of kit with a wonderful display, again they are not cheap, starting price now is nearly £1100, that is a lot of money and many would argue that you could get a windows machine of similar performance for less money ... it all depends on how you view the user experience, an increasing number of folks are willing to pay the price for a Mac.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both platforms, fro personal use spending my own money I'm quite happy to pay the price premium for a Mac; having said that I'm sure there will be others along to promote the values Wintel!

Each to his own ...

Posted

The biggest disadvantage I found is they with the iPad in order for a number of applications to function you need to download apps at a cost. Not sure if this applies to laptops or desktop.

However if you change to a Mac platform, please remember that all your current windows software will be redundant as you will be unable to use it and could be throwing away a lot of money.

Posted

However if you change to a Mac platform, please remember that all your current windows software will be redundant as you will be unable to use it and could be throwing away a lot of money.

Not so. Any intel-based Mac will happily run Windows using either Boot Camp or programs such as Parallels.

I'm also a big Mac fan and between the wife and me we've an iMac, a Macbook Air with SSD, a Macbook, two iPads and a Mac Mini. They all work superbly and on the odd occasion I have to use a PC I find them a complete pain in the bum.

Just give one a try, you really won't want to go back!

Posted

Posted

Not so. Any intel-based Mac will happily run Windows using either Boot Camp or programs such as Parallels.

Just give one a try, you really won't want to go back!

Probably be desperate to go back to a user friendly platform! LOL! w00t.gif

Posted

So, Windows is a "User- Friendly" Platform! I did not know that! secret.gif

Posted

Way back in my commercial days I hated MAC's as their mouses only had one button to press on the mouse, but because the studio I had built was mostly MAC based, I had to get used to them, even though my own computers were always PC's.

Roll on a quantum leap in time and I honestly don't know and having said that I m very much a stick in the mud!

We currently run 2 PC lap-tops, one of which runs on XP and the other on Windows 7 and they are both so blindingly annoying compared with earlier programmes such as the very basic 95 etc. and that is why I find the latest Mac offerings which is why I will be shortly be buying a singing and dancing iPod.

The thing that drives me mad is that each time the blessed Microsoft Corp. bring out another programme it moves all the controls around......... For heavens sake when you go out and buy a car, motorhome, van, truck, whatever the pedals are the same, the steering wheel is virtually the same and so many of the knobs and switches are in similar locations doing similar jobs. Why can't people go and say to any and all software developers that you can and should do what you need to do, but for Christ's sake leave the pedals and the steering wheel in the same location ?

Posted

You learn something useful every day then. secret.gif

Posted

My mates mac is like triggers broom, 4 new hard drives in the past 2.5 years plus countless other problems - maybe he got a bad apple?

Whereas the 7 windows pc's and laptops we have round the house just work fine - I got a £1000 samsung series laptop earlier in the year which in theory is like a clone of a mac air, Have even got used to windows 8, and this one has a 9 hour battery life. Love the design of the macbooks but not for me as for work I have no choice about staying with windows - don't see the point of windows on a mac - just more expense.

The big difference between mac and windows owners is (in my opinion) that the windows owners use their computers while the mac fans spend all their time telling me how great their one is and why I should have one, while sending their kids over to our house to play various games which haven't been released for a mac.....

Best of all - just got a touchscreen hp laptop for my wife for £330, fabulous bit of kit for the money and nothing made by apple would get close.

And following the sale of my sons iphone and the theft of our ipods we are now an itunes free house and the only apples we have are coxes.

Posted

Wow! nine-hour battery life for a PC laptop's very good; of course it doesn't compete with SWMBO's Macbook Air which lasts for twelve hours...

I'm sure we can all relate tales of broken computers, in fact the nightmares I had with PCs finally led me to Macs, and I've had no problems since making the change. Personally, I'm not interested in playing games but let's face it, neither Macs or PCs are good at that, they're for working on.

To the OP - just try both types and make your own mind up.

Posted

As per Tony's post. Has any one bought a computer to play games on? ashamed to say I have never bought computer to play game son and don't have any games software! Quite happy though! lol!

Posted

Yep I used to play games on my PC - Still remember being about to spend £500 on a pair of graphics cards......... at that point I got back into console gaming with a ps2 then ps3..

Have a PS4 on preorder for November and can't wait.

But as for here and now - Loads of kids play minecraft on pc's (and macs) - My 13 year old wanted and got a gaming laptop last christmas.

BUT Elite dangerous is coming out next year 32 years after Elite (my all time favourite game and partly to blame for my dreadful O level results....)

Think I'm a big kid all over again.

Posted

Well, that sorted that then, couldn't make me mind up, who says i'm not in touch with my feminine side, bought a chromebook instead, ok, really need to have a connection all the time, but from turning on to smurfing in under ten seconds, i is happy.

Posted

Yep I used to play games on my PC - Still remember being about to spend £500 on a pair of graphics cards......... at that point I got back into console gaming with a ps2 then ps3..

Have a PS4 on preorder for November and can't wait.

But as for here and now - Loads of kids play minecraft on pc's (and macs) - My 13 year old wanted and got a gaming laptop last christmas.

BUT Elite dangerous is coming out next year 32 years after Elite (my all time favourite game and partly to blame for my dreadful O level results....)

Think I'm a big kid all over again.

Elite ah remember it very well many happy hours playing it "dont hold your breath tho Braben has been working on this for 20 odd years"

Used to build my own PC's for gaming ,I have used every version of Windows from 3.1 upwards have a Android tablet I phone 4S and a I Pod Mac's are superb but over priced like all Apple products,would I buy a Mac yes if the price came down