Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple of caravanning's custard pies

5 posts in this topic

Posted

We arrived at Lauder in the blazing sunshine a week or two ago and, as I have come to expect, the Lad trotted off to fill the jerry cans with water while I dropped the steadies, connected the EHU and got the awning out of the car.

Mrs H was busy opening anything that would open inside the van to dissipate the heat when I was summoned by a shriek. The bottle of blue toilet fluid had toppled over, the cap had cracked and the bathroom cupboard was swimming in blue gunk. It must have only just have happened because I was able to lift the 3 pieces of the cupboard floor and drop them into the sink to drain without a stain on the bathroom carpet. With white trousers on, Mrs H wasn't going near anything with blue fluid on it.

Just then the Lad tapped on the bathroom window and invited me outside. The drain plug of the Carver water heater was spouting a metre-long rainbow arc of water; when the pump stopped, the arc shortened; when the pump ran again, the water spurted. Very novel. The jet of water was so thin I could see it wasn't the O-ring leaking so I decided to leave it for a few minutes and rinse the blue dye off the cupboard flooring at the site washing up facilities.

When I returned I was greeted by the noise of a distant angle-grinder inside the van. Mrs H had turned on the heater fan to stir the hot air around inside and it sounded as though the motor was ready to die a noisy and painful death.

Amazingly the cupboard floor dried straight in the sunshine. I replaced the drain plug with a spare; there was a tiny crack at the end of the screwdriver slot. The fan came back to life after we got back home by me oiling the bearings and putting the very very fluffy impeller into the dishwasher and repositioning it on the motor shaft.

They say things happen in threes.

Posted

Your tool box sounds as if it has as many bits in it as mine does

I NEVER throw anything away but store it just in case

So I have all those bits and I have done the same thing with the fan too

it's amazing how expert we become at repairs that would see a caravan shop just putting in a new item.

Posted

I was in Couplands in Louth today and found a box of 10p items.....all of which were the sort of thing you would have carried 20 years ago but in this electronic age it is mainly Duck Tape and a screwdriver.

geoff

Posted

Posted

wine.gif

Wow - not seen you on here for donkeys Iain !

How's it going ?

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

:England:

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard