Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Electrolux RM 6291L Fridge Not Cooling Enough

Question

Posted

Hi, we were away over a hot weekend and noticed that the fridge was not cooling down enough. The fridge(Electrolux RM 6291L)was put on electricity power the night before and was on for approx 12 hours before we set off. The power was off for maybe 1 hour and then once on site the electricity power was returned. The food that was put into the fridge was cold, although the wine was not!!!!! I noticed that the fridge for the whole weekend was not cooling down even though the freezer was freezing. I checked the voltage and it was 235v which is very good, the caravan was level and even the door shut overnight didnot have any effect. The temp stat was to full cooling.The temperature outside was around 28 to 30 DegC which is very rare in Ireland. Does anyone have any idea on the problem or was it that it was too hot for the fridge to work correctly and get cold. On the last night the beer which was in the freezer box actualy froze. After we took the caravan home, I tried it a week later and the same after 12 hours working on good electricity, although I had can in the fridge and it was slightly cooler than the night before but not cold. I have read that turning the fridge upside down may help and wondering if anyone has done this with what effect. Is there anyway to check that the temp stat is working correctly?

Any help would be very much appriciated.

7 answers to this question

Posted

Did you try it on gas?

Posted

We had this problem with our fridge in the Lunar, yes they did turn it upside down but that was not the problem, we had a bent gas pipe and parts had sooted up from using it on gas.

Hope you can fix yours.

Posted

Thanks for your quick reply, I did not test it on gas as I usually use it on electricity. I pay for the electricity hookup so dont want to pay for the gas also. Have to get back the € 3.00 per night electrical cost of hookup somehow!!!!!!

Posted

This type of fridge design is capable of taking at best 35degsC from the ambient air temperature, the heat removed is then concentrated at the rear of the fridge and relies on good air flow through the vents to remove it swiftly or this reduces efficiency. In general, poor installation methods slows this air flow to a crawl and in hot weather it is far from uncommon for fridge efficiency to reduce dramatically, especially if the awning is used and the fridge is on that side.

So if it's still below freezing in the ice box, it's not actually doing to bad!

Posted

On most caravan forums there have been complaints about fridges not cooling properly. This is even worse if the fridge vents out into the awning. A practical solution is to fit a small fan, one from a PC will do. You need to tap into the 12v supply and set it up so that it is controlled thermostatically as you don't want it running continuously draining the battery. This will help with air circulation and assist in cooling down the fridge. If you want to lash out a few bob you can buy one of these fan ventilation kits for fridges for £40.

Posted

Hi all. Many thanks for all your replies. I took the fridge out and turned the fridge upside down a few times and it sounded like that there was something blocked so I got a helper and turned the fridge 360 Deg in all directions and checked it out before putting it all back together. I turned it on and left for 2 days and everything worked fine. If you are testing your fridge, use a standard stat and not digital air stat as once you open the door the cool air escapes and the air stat decreases immediatlely. I put the fridge back into place and went away and I have to say the fridge worked better than it ever did on 230v. I tried it on gas and works pefectly also. Thanks again for your valuable input. Regards

Roger.

Posted

{{{{{{{{ This post is so great and nice }}}}}}

Hi all. Many thanks for all your replies. I took the fridge out and turned the fridge upside down a few times and it sounded like that there was something blocked so I got a helper and turned the fridge 360 Deg in all directions and checked it out before putting it all back together. I turned it on and left for 2 days and everything worked fine. If you are testing your fridge, use a standard stat and not digital air stat as once you open the door the cool air escapes and the air stat decreases immediatlely.

We offer best quality study materials including latest scjp dumps and IBM practice exam so you will pass Stanford University exam in first try.For more details visit now wikipedia

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard