Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

online car insurance quotes

18 posts in this topic

Posted

How's this for something that just doesn't make sense ....

I have a profile set up with several online car insurance providers, comparison sites and direct with insurers. After driving company cars for ten years I have no no claims and unfortunately 1 small claim against me about a year ago.

I had been getting some very good quotes from Swift Insurance on a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI Estate, I've just changed the vehicle to a Hyundai i30 Estate (1.6 diesel) and the the company has 'declined to quote'

I don't understand ... they are both really boring diesel estate cars... and I'm a boring grey haired old fart ... so how on earth do I get a very competitive quote on one car and declined on the other ... the world is going mad !!

Posted

We had something similar Paul. When SWMBO changed her Audi TT to an A1 I thought, given that the insurance only had a month or so to run, I'd just swap the insurance to the new car but I was informed the underwriters wouldn't insure that type of vehicle, so I had to mess about getting a new policy sorted out.

It appears insurance companies have a set list of cars they'll cover & won't stray outside of it. Completely potty! I'd understand if you were going for a Ferrari or something equally exotic.

Posted

I;ve recently had the same on the Kia. The insurance company eventually agreed to insure as i was with them anyway, but i was told it wasn't on their approved list??????

Posted

Tunnel vision

Posted

Comparison sites are ok for what they are, still can't beat half an hour at your brokers, they will find the best deal going, and not ask that stupid question ' whats the best quote youve had so far', to which the only answer is ' I'll tell you when you've given me your very best price'. You might pay a pound or two more than going direct to the insurence company, but no frustration at we don't cover that car. BTW, using a broker saved my neice £700 on her insurence, she was brainwashed by tv adverts that the only way you can buy insurence is online. As the dog should say, oooooooooo noooo

Posted

How's this for something that just doesn't make sense ....

I have a profile set up with several online car insurance providers, comparison sites and direct with insurers. After driving company cars for ten years I have no no claims and unfortunately 1 small claim against me about a year ago.

I had been getting some very good quotes from Swift Insurance on a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI Estate, I've just changed the vehicle to a Hyundai i30 Estate (1.6 diesel) and the the company has 'declined to quote'

I don't understand ... they are both really boring diesel estate cars... and I'm a boring grey haired old fart ... so how on earth do I get a very competitive quote on one car and declined on the other ... the world is going mad !!

Much against my usual comment that no two people will ever get the same result for an insurance quote but as another b - g - h - o -f with an i30

....try Aviva or better still Quote Me Happy who are owned by Aviva.

Posted

Much against my usual comment that no two people will ever get the same result for an insurance quote but as another b - g - h - o -f with an i30

....try Aviva or better still Quote Me Happy who are owned by Aviva.

Thanks Beejay .... I trust you understand comment was made tongue in cheek .... I'm taking the pee out of myself!!

Posted

I have been with LV for years and as a CSMA member should be getting a good policy at a good price , well ….. no

This years renewal came through and for the Tiguan and an MX5 and they quoted almost £1k , seeing as my brother has a DB9 and a Jag XF and is paying a lost less with Admiral , I thought I should perhaps look around .

Admiral came up with about £600 for the two cars , not bad I thought , so went to LV on line out of curiosity , and low and behold less than Admiral at about £580 , and the policy LV offered had all the same knobs and whistles that my existing policy,

So a phone call to LV to find out why , It’s a new policy sir , we found we are loosing custom due to aggressive pricing by mainstream insurers so had compete , so why do you not inform existing customers of the new policies and the better prices , errrrrrr

No real answer .

I really felt like moving my custom . but why loose out on good insurance at a competitive price .

The upshot of the call to LV was the policy turned out to be even cheaper when I added my son as a named driver ( I don’t know why either ) and they added my CSMA discount .

So on line is good but follow up with a phone call .

Posted

The wifes renewal just came through. She is with the Co-Op

Had a look on moneysupermarket and can get the same cover / excess etc for £75 less..............with the Co-Op

Posted

This is very strange, I'm generally getting the best quotes from Swiftcover (which I must assume is something to do with my personal profile), but for some reason they will not even quote on the Hyundai i30. I have had a robust exchange of messages with them and for some reason this particular model is flagged with them as a no go ... I don't understand why becasue my personal profile has been the same for all quotes so it is clearly something to do with their claims data on this model of car.

I am getting quotes from other companies for the Hyundai but the cheapest is over £150 more than the Skoda Octavia I was quoted by Swift .... all very strange.

Posted

Incidently, my Subaru Legacy was cheaper by far to insure than the Kia, and a 4.0 V6 Ford Explorer was cheaper than both of them.

Posted

Guess my Jeeps cheap to insure as they know I won't go over 56 m.p.h.,dare not loose sight of the fuel tanker. undecided.gif

Posted

So a phone call to LV to find out why , It’s a new policy sir , we found we are loosing custom due to aggressive pricing by mainstream insurers so had compete , so why do you not inform existing customers of the new policies and the better prices , errrrrrr

They talk a load of rubbish. Been there done that! They are losing custom because their premiums are unrealistic. Having said that NFU with whom I was insured car and caravan for some years did the same. A quote from them recently was over £600 where mainstream insurers are quoting between £200 - £300 for the same cover. I

I am beginning to believe being a very good risk is not conducive to low premiums with some insurers.

I had two cars with LV until the premiums went up 30% with no change of details.. I still get quotes each year both direct and through CSMA and through Nationwide B S and none make sense.

I've just had an LV= £25 introductory discount and a CSMA discount code through the CSMA magazine. And the quote, with the £50 off, was dearer than their quote without discounts two weeks earlier. Do they do the ea$yjet trick of increasing the price every time you try again?

Posted

Why not try care and compare a brand new comparison site set up and owned by my son in law.For all types of insurance and the company give 25% of monthly profit to charity.Have a look it is very good

Posted

wine.gif

Most insurance company's boost the price on renewals just in case they can get away with it !

Every time one of our policies comes up for renewal we look at the renewal offer, go onto a couple of comparison sites to get a couple of sensible quotes and then go into town and visit Swinton then we go across to A Plan and they invariably give us a decent deal. It's a PITA but the alternative is to give your money away and I can't afford to do that !

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

:England:

Posted

Bentley's policy came up for renewal recently - been with Saga a couple of years at quite good prices but the quote this year was £800.... After getting up from the floor I tried the (in)famous Meerkat site and wound up with an identical policy from Flux Direct for £180. A slight difference!!

Posted

Renewal for my Insignia is £444 with Royal & Sun Alliance. 10 minutes messing on t'internet has got a quote with comparable cover (Business use, protected no claims, £0 excess, European use) for £208 from Quote Me Happy.

Now I know that they are part of Aviva and use 'off shore' call centres, but for a saving of £236 I'll take the chance!

Oh, and if I didn't need the business use, protected no claims, Euro cover and prepared to pay a £350 excess, I could get it as cheap as £138 from Aviva via Quidco.

Posted

wine.gif

........ then we go across to A Plan and they invariably give us a decent deal.........

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

'A Plan' have just opened an office a few miles from me.

Extremely helpful (and patient!) providing a quotes on a range of vehicles.

They've got my business for my first motor policy in over 10 years.

They're also in line to get more business as we put a car on the road for our older daughter (who is now a NQT - newly qualified teacher) and will need a car for work.

Very pleased with the service and prices from 'A Plan'

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard