Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(Solved) Towing Electric Cable To Adapter That Attached To Tow Bar Ele

Question

Posted

Hi All Again,

I've now been able to get round to the next fix on the van and that's the black cable that runs from the caravan,past the A frame hitch and has the socket on the end that you insert in to your tow bar electric hook up.

It's had some sort of previous fix and has plenty of black insulation take around it but it truly is really intermittent, you only need to go over a small pothole or bump in the road and it knocks the road lights out etc.

So I'm looking for advice do I either take all the insulation tape off, have a look at the previous owners handy (or not) work and then re-wire myself making a much more solid and better job, or do I just buy a whole new one of these instead?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e6d97e773

Obviously funds are limited with each purchase I make, the Mrs isn't too happy about more needing to be spent on it and we're not even going to be using it for the first time until the Easter Hols but I just want all safety and little issues ironed out, as then it's more of a worry free trip and beyond.

Any advice on the above, or if you've ever had to do the same... information would as always be much appreciated indeed.

P.S. We only have one electric point on our tow bar, all for the lights etc as we don't have a need for a double tow bar electrics.

Regards,Ro

b

21 answers to this question

Posted

You don't need the adapter you have mentioned unless you have a 13 pin socket on your car. Have a look here

Posted

Almost certainly on a van of the OP's age it will only have a standard (for those days) 7 pin connector.

Without any hesitation I would carefully remove the old plug and fit a new one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12N-7-PIN-BLACK-PLASTIC-PLUG-CARAVAN-ELECTRIC-TRAILER-PLUG-MAYPOLE-MP21-BRASS-PI-/280916323487?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4167eaec9f or pop into you local Halfords and buy one.

Depending on how old the socket is fitted to your car as well I would consider changing that one at the same time.

The link that John gives is excellent for the actual wiring sequences in these plugs.

Furthermore, if your van is fitted with a grey hook up lead as well, I would definitely fit a an additional socket and plug as it makes caravan life so much easier.

Posted

wine.gif

If money's a real issue then I'd say that you should check the repair work, clean the 7 pin plug and socket connections properly and then splay the pins a little to ensure they make a decent contact

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022790/towbar-wiring-mo.pdf

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

:England:

Posted

My caravan hook-up has insulation tape on it -- the reason it hung low on the road and scraped off the outer layer of insulation -- So I taped it up tightly.

For what it is worth - I would remove carefully the old insulation tape and check the reason it was done.. If it is the same as mine -- No problem -- tape up tight and off you go.

The next step would be to check the plug - [You didn't say if it had 7 or 13 pins] - undo carefully - noting how it comes apart tighten all the screws and with some fine Emery cloth clean the pins -- rolling in to a tube to get in side the tubular ones. Hopefully that will be OK - If not replace the plug at minimal cost.

Check the socket outlet on the car -- cleaning and tightening the same way.

If after all this -- you will seriously have to start thinking about rewiring -- don't panic - it is not as bad as it seems and you may only need to buy the cable..

If you do -- and the old one is 7 pins -- rewire it for 13 pins -- you can get the diagrams and it will cost you the cable -- a plug.

Then there is no need to purchase the 2 to 1 adaptor at £23 -- the plug and cable will be less than that !

Any way -- all the best

Maurice

Posted

First thing I would do would be to remove the tape, open up the plug, and check the white wire connection on pin 3. Make sure the wire is pushed well into it, and the screw is screwed down tight. (My next door neighbour had a similar problem last week, and it was just a poor connection on No.3 pin).

If all's well there, I'd go along with the previous suggestions.

Hope you get it sorted ok.

Edit; Problem might actually be in the car socket rather than the caravan plug, so you might need to check pin 3 on the socket too.

Posted

Hi All,

We decided to go for a more temporary but much better fix than the previous owner seem to have done. So we took all of the reams of insulting tape off, exposed the wiring so we could see what we were dealing with and no wonder my towing lights and especially the front marker lights were very finicky, they were just about hanging on.

So we cleaned both ends of the wire and subsequent connections sections up and decided to use the smallest electrical connector blocks available to man, this way I knew they'd withstand some form of pull, tug or catch etc.

We then sprayed WD40 on the main towing electric and as a previous poster above mentioned for another temporary fix, we splayed the brass connectors a little outwards, so this would create a much better and tighter connection once the plug was inserted in to the tow bar electric socket.

Pulled the car around, hooked her up and voila lights on straight away, wiggling it all about and no shorting / intermittent shut off through movement anywhere - RESULT.

Thanks once again for all your input people, it's much appreciated indeedy as always.

Regards,

Rob

Posted

Hey Rob

Just noticed your avatar

Wednesdayite.............from Wales..........wonderful

I am also a long suffering optimist.....53 years on the Kop

Posted

Hey Rob

Just noticed your avatar

Wednesdayite.............from Wales..........wonderful

I am also a long suffering optimist.....53 years on the Kop

Whereabouts are you living now, Wales too or still as your info says Rotherham? We've recently setup a Facebook ground that's got 35+ members now, all exiled Owls from around the South West of England and South Wales areas, Ipswich game we're getting as many of us together in one go and hiring a coach for once for the laugh and camaraderie. :)

Posted

Whereabouts are you living now, Wales too or still as your info says Rotherham? We've recently setup a Facebook ground that's got 35+ members now, all exiled Owls from around the South West of England and South Wales areas, Ipswich game we're getting as many of us together in one go and hiring a coach for once for the laugh and camaraderie. :)

Im Sheffield born and bred but live in Rotherham now...........about 7 miles from Hillsboro

Have you been on Owlstalk.co.uk...................its a very popular website. It gives you a real view of Wednesdayites............lose one and its Jones Out............win one or two and its "Can get get in play-offs"

Ipwsich is end of April isnt it...........should be good....I suspect we will both need the points

Do you know you can get tickets on-line?

Posted

..........Alan............going off thread again!

geoff

Posted

..........Alan............going off thread again!

geoff

it happens

Posted

I don't think there's really a need to get all authoritarian over two fellow posters, who have just realised they follow the same sports team and are from the same city in times gone by, do you?

Give people one or two messages like happened above, to introduce familiarities and then ask them to move any off topic opinions, messages or content in to a private message thereafter... now that sounds much more satisfactory and common sense prevailing, but then that's just me!

Sorry I must return back to the original threads discussion, I have it all sorted now so this thread is solved!

Regards,

Rob

Posted

wine.gif

Rob, since it's YOUR thread I think you can do what you like with regard to going off topic !

I find it amusing that people get out of shape about staying on topic - after all a normal conversation wanders all over the place and people don't worry about that cool.png

My personal view is that once a query has been answered or a thread has had 20 responses then it's pretty much been dealt with so stupid comments and going off topic is perfectly acceptable - there's a few here that probably disagree with me but they can do the other thing whistling.gif

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

Posted

wine.gif

Rob, since it's YOUR thread I think you can do what you like with regard to going off topic !

I find it amusing that people get out of shape about staying on topic - after all a normal conversation wanders all over the place and people don't worry about that cool.png

My personal view is that once a query has been answered or a thread has had 20 responses then it's pretty much been dealt with so stupid comments and going off topic is perfectly acceptable - there's a few here that probably disagree with me but they can do the other thing whistling.gif

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

Whistle while I work........

.Where have I heard of that before.... At least no one is having a go at each other this time....

Lance

Posted

wine.gif

Lance, if you're feeling under employed I'm sure I can come up with a few threads that might bring you some activity ...

How about:

Asylum seekers

Benefits cheats

Dogs on sites

Children on sites

Ssangyongs

Teachers holidays

for starters ?

angel1.gif

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

Posted

wine.gif

Lance, if you're feeling under employed I'm sure I can come up with a few threads that might bring you some activity ...

How about:

Asylum seekers

Benefits cheats

Dogs on sites

Children on sites

Ssangyongs

Teachers holidays

for starters ?

angel1.gif

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

Sorry Bob can only agree on 2 of those, Kids and dogs... The rest just don't feel like they would get a response.....furious3.gif

hehehehehehe

Lance

1 person likes this

Posted

I am now going to Censure myself for going off topic...

1 person likes this

Posted

Anyway, just to note this thread and it's issue is solved and all is A O K. :)

P.S. It would be good like I've seen on other forums over the years if we could all placed a "Solved" wording in the front of the thread title once we have solved it, and there be two parts where new threads go, in here whilst unsolved and then pinned at the top of each forums diff zones, would be a "Solved" for the varying departments.

Once it would help us all when looking for stuff but also newbies to the site / forums.

Just a thought anyway. :)

Posted

Anyway, just to note this thread and it's issue is solved and all is A O K. :)

P.S. It would be good like I've seen on other forums over the years if we could all placed a "Solved" wording in the front of the thread title once we have solved it, and there be two parts where new threads go, in here whilst unsolved and then pinned at the top of each forums diff zones, would be a "Solved" for the varying departments.

Once it would help us all when looking for stuff but also newbies to the site / forums.

Just a thought anyway. :)

I thought that as you were the starter of the thread you could close it?

Isnt there a button on your openomh page of the thread for you to do this??

Or even change the name of the thread by adding "solved"

Maurice

Posted

I thought that as you were the starter of the thread you could close it?

Isnt there a button on your openomh page of the thread for you to do this??

Or even change the name of the thread by adding "solved"

Maurice

I've never used the full editor before Maurice and that's where I've just found it after you posting the above, so thanks for that.

A bit like the title is now. :)

I won't do any more, until a Moderator or the Owner of T&T wants thread titles edited kindly with (Solved) at the front of the title... Any mods about to give their two penneth in this regard?

Regards,

Rob

Posted

Hang on 2 p worth is... If you want to put soved at the beggining, I can't see it being an issue...

lance

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Catches this week
      By carper · Posted
      I’m off again on Thursday and hopefully getting more. That fish was my first from this water for a long time. I left the club about 15 years ago. There have been a lot of changes since then especially in the fish size apparently there are at least 20x20s and 4x30s. So I am hoping for something a lot bigger
    • Catches this week
      By shipbroker · Posted
      Had five nights Greenhill Leisure managed a couple of days scrap bashing small roach....next man had six carp on pellet nice to see. They have three small lakes and one new large one...carp to 20lb plus we believe,free fishing if staying on site. Geoff
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anna85

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts