Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your daily rag , and why ?

44 posts in this topic

Posted

I think I heard on Top Gear that the Daily Mail was responsible for the 70mph limit on the M1

Before there was a limit someone did 190 mph in an AC Cobra

The sanctimonious lot at the DM were up in arms about this and started a campaign to introduce a 70 mph limit

Surely thats enough to never buy the DM again

Posted

Well coming from Top Gear that will be a definitive piece of information then.

Posted

Well, someone had to introduce a speed limit.

Posted

What surprised me was that there was no limit on the M1

I didnt know that

Apparently Jaguar used to use it to test their cars, Sunday nights when it was empty.............empty M1 can you imagine

Posted

wine.gif

I think the E Type at 155 and the Cobra at 190 were just two of the factors taken into consideration when the 70mph speed limit was introduced

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

:England:

Posted

M1 originally cost a million a mile to build, thing about needing a speed limit was that, and again originally, not much could exceed 70mph unless downhill with a following wind! so was none was needed.

As for being empty, not exactly empty but after nine at night and above the M6 junction traffic is very light, above Sheffield, J36 and it's usually empty any time of the day!! :lol:

Posted

I recall when I was nobbut a lad we used to go to Trowell Services for Sunday Lunch. My mum had shops so Sunday was her only day off. You could eat in the restaurant that spanned the motorway. People used to stand up and shout "theres a car coming" as they were quite rare. My memory is probably a bit rosy and there were probably more cars than I remember. Probably around 1963 I think.

Its certainly changed a bit

Posted

No wonder cars were scarce passing Trowell in 63? The M1 didn't get re-started passed Rugby until 65/6 arriving in Leeds in 68!

One daft fact is why M18? simple answer is it's 18k to the A1

Posted

Yes youre right just googled it

According to wiki Trowell opened in 67

so I would be 12 /13 years old

Posted

wine.gif

And there was I thinking you were just about 20 ...

Just watched Sunday's TG and they mentioned that the DAILY MAIL ran a campaign for the introduction of the 70mph limit after the Cobra was tested at 190 on the M1 - yet another reason to hate the rag !!!

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

Posted

wine.gif

Just watched Sunday's TG and they mentioned that the DAILY MAIL ran a campaign for the introduction of the 70mph limit after the Cobra was tested at 190 on the M1 - yet another reason to hate the rag !!!

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

I used to be 2thumbsup.gif

Thats what I posted earlier and sent us down this route..........the DM campaigned for the 70mph limit after the AC Cobra stunt

Posted

wine.gif

<Makes note - read thread fully before posting>

I'm not really sure that it was a stunt - given the traffic levels at the time the use of the M1 for high speed testing wouldn't have posed much of a risk despite the limitations of the engineering. Conversely, attempting to drive a modern car at 70mph on the M4 in the rush hour these days could be seen as suicidal !

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

Posted

A temporary speed limit was introduced in 1965 after some terrible accidents due to fog. Most newspapers at the time carried photo's of the terrible carnage at these pile up's.

From my memory it was the Daily Mirror that led the campaign, When they published a pull out booklet with some explicit photo's from road traffic accidents.

The speed limit was made permament by Barbera Castle in 1967.

Posted

wine.gif

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

Perhaps we could start our own paper and campaign for speed limits to be raised, how does the Daily Nail it sound?

Posted

wine.gif

Putting my semi serious head on for a minute - the trouble is that traffic levels are now much higher than in the 60's, the only way it would be possible would be to introduce a higher limit BUT make it variable so that the maximum permisible speed is reduced when traffic levels are higher

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

Posted

Yeah, only real option is to concrete over the waste of space railways and convert them into extra roads, least the tax payer wouldn't subsidise shareholders profits then.

1 person likes this

Posted

wine.gif

Putting my semi serious head on for a minute - the trouble is that traffic levels are now much higher than in the 60's, the only way it would be possible would be to introduce a higher limit BUT make it variable so that the maximum permissible speed is reduced when traffic levels are higher

That would already be here Bob?! many sections, with more planned, have variable speed limits and cameras are switched on to enforce lower than 70 limits.

Interesting though, cameras are off and therefore not used to enforce the 70mph, this, Notingham/Derby tried to do between J24 and J28 but were forced to switch them off unless lower limits prevailed.

On the same section before it's upgrade, speed cameras were used on bridges one Sunday, figures were published in the local rag for those nicked above 90mph with various individual higher speeds mentioned and prosecuted, nothing though for any below 90mph?!!

My reasoning for all this is the Police/highways agency are happy with an unofficial circa 85/90mph limit but don't want it made official, this gives them discretion to pull over, or not, depending on how well and in what those 'speeding' are equipped to use it, IE, put very simply, driving a decent car well at 85 in good conditions, opposed to a banger badly in poor conditions, raising the limit officially would make both legal, today the fool can be sorted and the traffic flow left alone.

As I see this, it would be the best of both worlds and if I'm right, best left as it is :yes:

Posted

wine.gif

It goes against the grain to admit it but I'm pretty happy with the current system cos I like the flexibility you're referring to - it's similar to the German approach on unrestricted autobahns, there may be no speed limit but they were allowed to tug people doing over 130kph and Lord help them if anything was found to be wrong with a vehicle they stopped !

I'm also in favour of the extension of variable speed limits in areas that get heavily congested cos they actually do improve traffic flow and they seem to reduce accidents

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

Posted

Our local town council is advocating a 20 mph speed throughout the town --- I think I have read that others are doing the same --

Wickes and TESCO's are started stocking large red flags -- do you think they might know something??

Maurice

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard