Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How much is Gas?

Question

Posted

Since having stored our van in France, we have used French Gas bought from the local garages etc.

So when today my gas heater in my garage ran out I had to go and get a new cylinder 7Kg Blue -- from the local ironmonger .

I think the last time I got one it cost about £17.90

-- according to my note book any way --

Today just 2 years on it cost £22.81 that is nearly £5 increase in two years..

Is this the going rate??

I feel sure that we don't pay that for gas in France --

Maurice

38 answers to this question

Posted

I bought a blue calor 15Kg the other day £30.

My last 6Kg propane lite for the van was £23 (last September)

Posted

Just switched to calor 13kg at 25 pound , if it fits, the van can take the weight and you can lift it ok it's a no brainer

Posted

Al, you were robbed current price for 6kg is £19.99. Good price on 15kg rrp £32.99

Maurice current rrp for 7kg blue is £21.49

Posted

Al, you were robbed current price for 6kg is £19.99. Good price on 15kg rrp £32.99

Maurice current rrp for 7kg blue is £21.49

The propane was at Lincoln Showground so I expected to be ripped off.

But I dont think ive ever paid much less.....I always seem to run out somewhere with no choice.

Posted

I top up my bp supply when homebase have their 15% of everything weekends, 10 kg then costs 26 quid, well did last time i got a couple

Posted

Just switched to calor 13kg at 25 pound , if it fits, the van can take the weight and you can lift it ok it's a no brainer

Hi all,

Lloyds got it right ! Last year,as I was going to do a big European tour I changed to 2 x ( 6kg ) Calorlites. On our visit to the UK at Christmas I wished to change one and was told £23-00 OUCH!!!!!!!!! It's only £27-00 for a 13 kg. So now I use a 13'er and pop the 6'er on between changes, hopefully that one will last a while.

indoors.

Posted

wine.gif

Isn't it about the right point in the thread to start the row about filling up on garage forecourts and transferring from larger cylinders etc ?

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

:England:

Posted

Hi all,

Lloyds got it right ! Last year,as I was going to do a big European tour I changed to 2 x ( 6kg ) Calorlites. On our visit to the UK at Christmas I wished to change one and was told £23-00 OUCH!!!!!!!!! It's only £27-00 for a 13 kg. So now I use a 13'er and pop the 6'er on between changes, hopefully that one will last a while.

indoors.

Indoors yes I also use the 6kg for change over only. Bloody ridiculous rip off on the 6kg bottles

Posted

wine.gif

Isn't it about the right point in the thread to start the row about filling up on garage forecourts and transferring from larger cylinders etc ?

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

Somebody call me???

Not too far away from me there is a self service filling point for gas, open 24 hours and you pay by credit card at the pump itself. I think it's currently around 84p per litre.

Also there is no reason why not to fill up yourself, there is a safe bottle on sale in the UK for this very purpose: www.safefill.co.uk

Posted

I bought a calor 13kg from our local Engineering Agencies just before Xmas, £18.40, about the same as filling it in the local garage.

Ian

Posted

hi all , can someone answer this for me, the gas you fill up at garages has no vat [or its much lower] how come they charge 20 per cent on a gas and bottle when you exchange it ? and if it was possable to refill your empty calor bottle [i dont know anywhere, i can] how much would it cost at the lower rate to fill?

?do anyone know a place to get a 13 calor bottle refilled,?

george

Posted

Hi George,

It is possible to refill a 6kg or similar from a ( less expensive ) bigger bottle but I'm not prepared to air it.

Boy with pliers plays with wires,

Big blue flashes, boy in ashes. !!!

A little information is dangerous.

indoors.

Posted

I bought a blue calor 15Kg the other day £30.

My last 6Kg propane lite for the van was £23 (last September)

At the beginning of December we paid £33 for 15kg butane, but it was delivered!

Posted

I bought a calor 13kg from our local Engineering Agencies just before Xmas, £18.40, about the same as filling it in the local garage.

Ian

Good point ...so many people go to caravan dealers and/or garages for their supplies but often the engineering supplies people are streets cheaper......I'm paying less than £17.00 for my Flogas at moment (11kg).

geoff

Posted

6kg propane at Go Outdoors £18 ...

Given all the costs involved in caravanning then I have to say that a couple of £'s difference in the price of a gas refill, even several times a year, is hardly a deal breaker ...

Posted

Given all the costs involved in caravanning then I have to say that a couple of £'s difference in the price of a gas refill, even several times a year, is hardly a deal breaker ...

Quite......the difference top to bottom seems to be around the price of a pint or a high street coffee........

geoff

Posted

Somebody call me???

Not too far away from me there is a self service filling point for gas, open 24 hours and you pay by credit card at the pump itself. I think it's currently around 84p per litre.

Also there is no reason why not to fill up yourself, there is a safe bottle on sale in the UK for this very purpose: www.safefill.co.uk

Found this quote on the safefill web site ...

Where to refill

LPG is now available on many petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of these until the Safefill message has been completely understood.

So my interpretation is that refilling a rented bottle is illegal becasue in the rental contract (vast majority are with Calor) you sign up to only ever exchanging the bottle at Calor authorised dealer, so the illegal bit is commercial rather than say H&S related ?

Posted

Le Cube 6kg in France was about £12/ €14/15 we are being ripped big time !

Posted

Since having stored our van in France, we have used French Gas bought from the local garages etc.

So when today my gas heater in my garage ran out I had to go and get a new cylinder 7Kg Blue -- from the local ironmonger .

I think the last time I got one it cost about £17.90

-- according to my note book any way --

Today just 2 years on it cost £22.81 that is nearly £5 increase in two years..

Is this the going rate??

I feel sure that we don't pay that for gas in France --

Maurice

France has a huge market for bottled gas used for cooking in many homes. Consequently there is competition amongst the many suppliers and availability at every petrol station supermarket and diy store with the supermarkets having their own brands of LPG. Despite this, as the domestic market uses 13/15 kg size bottles, the leisure market 5/6 kg 'dumpy' bottles tend to have a higher price per kg but still lower than the U.K.

Posted

So my interpretation is that refilling a rented bottle is illegal becasue in the rental contract (vast majority are with Calor) you sign up to only ever exchanging the bottle at Calor authorised dealer, so the illegal bit is commercial rather than say H&S related ?

Is refilling a rental bottle only illegal because of the rental contract? I (and I am sure there many others) have never signed a rental contract with calor.

Because of the high cost of gas we went for the safefill and have been tracking the savings since. We are on track to have paid off the cylinder cost within 3 years with only moderate gas usage.

Posted

What law is being contravened to make it illegal?

Posted

wine.gif

I'd guess that it's not a law as such more like a piece of H&S legislation to do with being able to fill in excess of 80%

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

:England:

Posted

wine.gif

I'd guess that it's not a law as such more like a piece of H&S legislation to do with being able to fill in excess of 80%

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

Correct.

There is no law to stop self-filling, but the issues arise from the following:

1. Calor do not sell bottles, only rent them. You never own a Calor bottle, and part of that rental process is the agreement to only have it filled or exchanged by an authorised dealer.

2. All bottles should only be filled to 80% due to the expansion of the liquid under differing temperatures.

3. Insurance for selling/dispensing LPG states it can only be into an approved receptacle, e.g an LPG tank on a car.

Calor push the issue to NOT allow any vendors to allow self-filling by the public due to points 1 and 3 above, but they push issue 3 and bang on about the hazards of self-filling by individuals REGARDLESS of what bottle they have.

Truth is money and profit.

Calor know they sell 13 KGs of gas to you, but you COULD fill the same bottle for half what Calor charge. I've been banned twice from a forum for asking these questions and pointing out i spend a great deal of time "training" fork lift operators how to fill their FLTs with gas, and usually it takes me less than half an hour (practical) and insurance companies and accredited bodies are happy with this. So why i, or anyone who is competent, cant go and fill our own approved bottles is beyond me.

Calor=money=profit=rip off.

P.S i have an absolute plethora of emails from NUMEROUS bodies concerning this and not ONE could give me a valid reason why you cant self fill with your own approved bottles.

Posted

That isn't the point. A 13kg goes through the same procedure to be re-filled and costs £28 therefore a 6kg bottle should cost less than £14 to refill. When youa re charged £23 to refill the 6kg bottle you are left with a sour taste in your mouth as you have been blatantly ripped off!

Posted

Im with Avtur on this one

I dont use enough to get excited about a few quid