Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirty Duck (Rutland Arms)

1 post in this topic

Posted

I added a review to UK Campsites so thought I'd reproduce it here for your information.

Despite the recent negative reviews on that site, the wife & I spent a mid-week break here in the company of friends arriving Monday dinnertime and departing Friday late morning.

There's nothing I can add about the price, it is what it is, £21.50 with EHU) around the same as other sites in the area but this one didn't insist we go to bed with the chickens (several other sites made a big thing about noise after 10pm-ish, and we are all late-to-bed people).

Also a couple of sites stated 'no commercial vehicles' and as 4 of the 5 of us have commercial bodied Land Rovers we felt we would not be welcome: Furthermore not everyone is a member of a camping-type club with their hugely discounted pitch fees either.

There were 4 caravans and a tent and we were welcomed warmly and advised to pitch wherever we wanted to. We chose the end furthest from the road as there was an area where our tenters could pitch and not be in the way of an EHU as they don't use one.

Facilities were all laid out nicely with clean toilets and showers reported, although I do use the ones in my 'van (but that was down to preference rather than necessity). Water was close at hand as was the sluice, which was also nice and clean.

The kid's playground was huge and well maintained I thought, and often there were children playing there, possibly walkers 'doing' the canal walk or possibly locals from the village out for a stroll.

There were a couple of staff who were a bit aloof perhaps but on the last night we all went in the pub for a meal and have nothing but praise for the cooking, price and friendliness. Top notch nosh!

Importantly, we got caught in the hailstorm that caused so much damage across the West Mid's and despite the tent being flooded out, the ground drained very quickly which is another plus point, although we were asked not to drive onto the grass until it had dried a bit, which made perfect sense. Our tenters moved to slightly higher ground which drained faster than where they were and enjoyed their final night. THe heat after the storm was incredible and made drying their stuff a doddle.

This site is in a beautiful setting, overlooked by Belvoir Castle and with easy access to the various green lanes in the area. The Grantham Canal is adjacent and apparently makes for an enjoyable 5 mile hike into Grantham, which one of our couples did.

We visited the Newark Air Museum again, which is a fantastic place and only half an hour distant and great value for money. Lincoln is about another half hour's drive beyond that.

There were a couple of 'Gary-boys' in their loud exhaust hatchbacks, with a bit of noise around 11-ish but this is a pub site after all, and life goes on (one of the things that particularly annoys me in reviews is the total lack of thought for those people who are not on their jolly's but trying to earn a living). It certainly didn't detract one bit from my enjoyment of the site and we will be going back again.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard