Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Campaign about Carbon monoxide poisoning from BBQs

62 posts in this topic

Posted

We need to up awareness from dreadful carbon monoxide poisoning from BBQ's being taken into peoples tents, or confined spaces or possibly even being used too close

There seems to be a large number of people that don't know that the fumes can kill.

It's an appalling waste of life and totally avoidable

Can we just let as many people know as possible, if this campaign stops one death then its got to be worth shouting from the rooftops, the more people we tell the less we will read about any more incidents in the news

Also the types of BBQ involved are not the same, sometimes they are coal ones, sometimes gas the problem is the carbon monoxide exuded that is invisible and odourless

Just some of the deaths in the news from recent times,

Jesse Viers and Larnelle Hyden USA Feb 2009

Hazel Woodhams July 2011

Vincent Clare July 2011

Tracy Anne Elizabeth Screen August 2011

Isabelle Harris April 2012

near miss for a family poisoned by fumes August 2011

New advice flyer

So come on, Im going to share this on Facebook too, lets get this out there for everybodyfab1f39d35c87efb5af3c26e4480174b.jpg

Click here to view the article

1 person likes this

Posted

We have just had a fire check for the house 2 New Smoke Alarms fitted free Also advised to get 2 Carbon Monoxide Alarms

As Carbon Monoxide Alarms do not have to be fixed we are going to take one with us in the caravan

We bought 2 for £26 from Argos .

Posted

It is very tragic and shouldn't be happening. Although this might sound cruel are these people total morons or just idiots. Surely common sense should prevail? Why should the rest of the population have to nanny them? If we keep on nannying people they will never learn!

1 person likes this

Posted

It is very tragic and shouldn't be happening. Although this might sound cruel are these people total morons or just idiots. Surely common sense should prevail? Why should the rest of the population have to nanny them? If we keep on nannying people they will never learn!

Problem is we have to keep "nannying people " as you put it or they will never learn.Not being a Tenter but do the manufacturers not give warning advice attached to the tent on the the dangers of CO ? Think the Facebook idea is excellent and if I was a Site Owner or Warden I would have Information on the dangers of CO with maybe friendly advice whilst booking in. With a wee bit of education hopefully the message will eventually sink in ................

Smeesh......smug.gif

Posted

A saying that I've come across many times in life is "you don't know what you don't know" ... The dangers of BBQ's and portable BBQ's may be screamingly obvious to many of us ..... Those of us posting on here .... But clearly there are many folks who don't understand the risk ... And as much as I am normally a person to hold individuals accountable for their own actions I wonder if there is a problem here with lack of knowledge .... Yes WE all know the dangers of BBQ's in confined spaces but this keeps happening which tends to suggest there is a lack of public information on the subject. So the challenge is how to up the game ... This is so sad and so unnecessary.

I'm posting this from our weekend retreat in beautiful north wales, there are thousands of people in this area this weekend having a much earned weekend away .... But I bet there are a few dodgy BBQ's going. One of last years incidents happened on a site just a few miles from where I am now ... The site has closed the incident wasn't their fault but the after effects are far reaching. ....

Posted

I was under the impression that simple science was still taught at schools? Not sure if it is a compulsory subject now as in days gone by it was up to a certain grade. Can someone please enlighten me as our kids attended school overseas?

Posted

A saying that I've come across many times in life is "you don't know what you don't know" ... The dangers of BBQ's and portable BBQ's may be screamingly obvious to many of us ..... Those of us posting on here .... But clearly there are many folks who don't understand the risk ... And as much as I am normally a person to hold individuals accountable for their own actions I wonder if there is a problem here with lack of knowledge .... Yes WE all know the dangers of BBQ's in confined spaces but this keeps happening which tends to suggest there is a lack of public information on the subject. So the challenge is how to up the game ... This is so sad and so unnecessary.

And that is why I would like people to post everywhere, because as obvious as it is to us, there must be lots of people who just dont think that the risk ia as serious as it actually is.

Posted

And that is why I would like people to post everywhere, because as obvious as it is to us, there must be lots of people who just dont think that the risk ia as serious as it actually is.

For my sins, I work in laundrys, repairing large washers tumble dryers etc. Most of the large dryers are heated by gas, therefore the laundry rooms have nice big ventilation holes in the wall. I've lost count of the number of times I've visited sites where the ventilation has been blocked off, with the excuse given ' it's cold ', I do point out that it is a lot colder six foot underground, but this falls on deaf ears as I know when I go there again, the vents will be blocked off again. Speaking with the managers you get a smile and a nod, but you know it's a case of in one ear and out of the other. Think I might cut and copy these reports and leave a few copies when I visit sites, doubt if it will make any difference, but guess you gotta try whatever you can. undecided.gifsad1.gifwall.gif

Posted

I wonder if we can get parks and sites in on this to make people more aware?

Posted

wine.gif

My initial reaction to this was a fairly callous "Just another way to cleanse the gene pool" but a little thought reminded me that the average person in this world isn't actually that bright and would benefit from a little assistance in all sorts of ways.

Perhaps if the CC and C&CC members on here were to all email their clubs something positive would happen - having said that I can't help thinking that the people most at risk aren't members of the major organisations. The next question is how do you get the message across to the independent sites ?

I can understand that organisations/sites might be loathe to include a warning in every welcome pack but it wouldn't cost much for every site to put up a simple hi vis sign in reception would it ?

Cooking in tents and awnings KILLS !

wine.gif wine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

1 person likes this

Posted

I wonder if we can get parks and sites in on this to make people more aware?

It is not their, and it should never be, responsibility to educate people otherwise we would have a million rules on do's and don't's. Imagine all the rules that could be associated with having a BBQ in the open, i.e. don't stand downwidn as smoke inhalation is harmful, don't drink and eat as it is harmful, don't use a match to start a BBQ etc etc. Perhaps a warning on the bag of charcoal or disposable BBQ would be better.

Posted

wine.gif

That's an EXCELLENT idea Ian !

Perhaps an approach to the major suppliers/retailers ? And also the gas suppliers - Calor, BP, Flo Gas etc ?

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

:England:

Posted

wine.gif

That's an EXCELLENT idea Ian !

Perhaps an approach to the major suppliers/retailers ? And also the gas suppliers - Calor, BP, Flo Gas etc ?

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

Questions are of course whether these people are able or will read it even if it is in half a dozen languages, take any notice of the warning, ignore it as they know better or do something about it. Somehow, sadly the latter option probably will not happen.

Posted

I think the BBQs in question all have not to be used in enclosed spaces already on the instructions problem is teaching people to READ and obay instructions,

Posted

It is not their, and it should never be, responsibility to educate people otherwise we would have a million rules on do's and don't's. Imagine all the rules that could be associated with having a BBQ in the open, i.e. don't stand downwidn as smoke inhalation is harmful, don't drink and eat as it is harmful, don't use a match to start a BBQ etc etc. Perhaps a warning on the bag of charcoal or disposable BBQ would be better.

Hi Surfer ,

Would friendly advice whilst Booking in not be better than no advice at all ? You could save a life ? Agree Warning Information on a bag of charcoal etc is a excellent idea but then again they have Smoking Kills displayed on Cigarette Packets dry.png ...............

Smeesh ................smug.gif

Posted

Rubbish! Plenty of sites have warnings about keeping 'vans a certain distance apart for fire reasons so there is absolutely no reason they can't raise awareness of this very important issue. Drinking and eating too much might make you fat or cause a hangover, but it's unlikely to kill you in the first sitting unlike carbon monoxide which certainly could.

P.S. You don't use charcoal in gas or disposible BBQ's.

Posted

Rubbish! Plenty of sites have warnings about keeping 'vans a certain distance apart for fire reasons so there is absolutely no reason they can't raise awareness of this very important issue. Drinking and eating too much might make you fat or cause a hangover, but it's unlikely to kill you in the first sitting unlike carbon monoxide which certainly could.

P.S. You don't use charcoal in gas or disposible BBQ's.

Careful !!

Gas BBQs produce CO while lit but stop as soon as turned off - other types of BBQ, including disposables, produce CO all the time once lit - even when the embers are no longer red-hot - this is the crux of the problem that most people assume that burning has finished if there's nothing red showing.

That's why a BBQ should never be used under cover nor brought under cover once finished cooking.

Posted

Careful !!

Gas BBQs produce CO while lit but stop as soon as turned off - other types of BBQ, including disposables, produce CO all the time once lit - even when the embers are no longer red-hot - this is the crux of the problem that most people assume that burning has finished if there's nothing red showing.

That's why a BBQ should never be used under cover nor brought under cover once finished cooking.

Sure - but I have never suggested that charcoals don't produce carbon monoxide Roger.

I'm simply making the point that it wouldn't hurt sites to make people aware of the potentially lethal problems surounding all BBQ's and that a warning on a bag of coal wouldn't be any use to people who use gas unit. Clearly there are people who don't understand the risks and have probably been very lucky to date.

Posted

Sure - but I have never suggested that charcoals don't produce carbon monoxide Roger.

I'm simply making the point that it wouldn't hurt sites to make people aware of the potentially lethal problems surounding all BBQ's and that a warning on a bag of coal wouldn't be any use to people who use gas unit. Clearly there are people who don't understand the risks and have probably been very lucky to date.

Why should wardens be responsible for the actions of their visitors or nanny them? Next wardens will be telling people to be careful how they put up the awning in case it leads to a death etc. Deaths are always tragic, but can be avoided if people use their brains.

Posted

Why should wardens be responsible for the actions of their visitors or nanny them? Next wardens will be telling people to be careful how they put up the awning in case it leads to a death etc. Deaths are always tragic, but can be avoided if people use their brains.

Some simply don't understand the risks.

Raising awareness is all I'm suggesting - not policing people.

Posted

As an old man I do wonder where education has led when we need to Nanny so many people who should know and have that what seems to be the rarest of item COMMON SENSE. This is obvious lt has gone so warnings MUST be used preferably on the BBQ and Charcoal and Tents and Awnings.

They must be CLEAR and DEFINITE not wishy-washy namby-pamby they NEED to frighten people

1 person likes this

Posted

Wardens can be informative without being responsible. If you see someone doing something that could harm them why wouldnt you tell them. I do. You can do it in a submissive way, you dont need to be pompous about it.

I was talking to wife about CO (we are at that age) and she didnt realise coal / coke fires emitted it. She knew gas fires / boilers could be dangerous but hadnt connected the two. She is an intelligent woman (she married me)

1 person likes this

Posted

It brings a comparison to EHU's, how many times have I told people to completely unravel their EHU before kicking it under their Caravan, only to be greated with abuse to smug looks. I don't bother now.