Geocaching anybody?

25 posts in this topic

Posted

We stay and store our caravan at a very good CL near Chipping Norton, we live in Suffolk and do a lot of country walking, and loved the Cotswolds for the walks and countryside so decided to leave our caravan at this site to save towing it back and forth home to store on our drive. We found out about Geocaching by accident, in 2005 and have used it to be able to incorporate this hobby with a nice walk in a beautiful part of the country also to see some things and places we might have missed had it not been for the geocaching site.

Posted

It really is a superb hobby, It is a perfect excuse for exercise for me after health problems, And if you read the caches you know exactly how hard/far it is to get to it, http://www.geocaching.com well worth a look.

Posted

Yes it is, and most of the caches are family friendly, to keep the kids interested while on a walk, and there isnt really the need for a hand held GPS because some of the newer mobile phones come with the geocaching application already installed, just need to join and its free.!!

Posted

We love to cache, our goal this year is to fill the calander.

Posted

If you ever go to Thorpe forest holiday thetford site check these GC34WH7 and a Night Cache GC2NZCF 2 of my favorites well worth finding.

Posted

Has anyone attended one of the camping geocaching events?

Posted

Not yet sad2.gif I was hoping to go to both emCamp and Piratemania but they clash with our summer holiday. But we are camping for one coming up in early June, all be it a local CL. Also HH&CC has a camping event this year so I am planning on camping for this one. If its any think like last year it will be a great event.

Posted

wine.gif

We took the van down to the Gower for the Wales Mega last year - booked too late for a hookup but the battery easily lasted five days. Had a great time but we haven't been out much over the winter - Jackie's got arthritis in her hands and can't handle the cold any more and at the moment she's working all the hours that God sens and more

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

:England:

Posted

I had never heard of this until a recent visit to Angelsey and we had a mooch around. We are off to the Bickerton / Peckforton area - does anyone know if there is some local to there ?

Thanks,

Posted

I had never heard of this until a recent visit to Angelsey and we had a mooch around. We are off to the Bickerton / Peckforton area - does anyone know if there is some local to there ?

Thanks,

I made a 10 mile search from Bickerton and there were 4 pages of caches. Main Stone GC2EXCJ being one . Best you go to http://www.geocaching.com and have a look.

Posted

Not yet sad2.gif I was hoping to go to both emCamp and Piratemania but they clash with our summer holiday. But we are camping for one coming up in early June, all be it a local CL. Also HH&CC has a camping event this year so I am planning on camping for this one. If its any think like last year it will be a great event.

I had a look at those sites, they look very interesting, we might attend if we are free. Thanks for the links

Posted

I made a 10 mile search from Bickerton and there were 4 pages of caches. Main Stone GC2EXCJ being one . Best you go to http://www.geocaching.com and have a look.

Excellent...will be taking a look and see what we find...cheers

Posted

Thanks,

As said go to geocaching.com and search either postcode, location or whatever there are literally thousands about, If you have an Iphone i highly recomend the geocaching App from geocaching.com (availlable on itunes) You do have to pay a quid or two but i HIGHLY recomend it, Even if you are say just shopping one press shows all caches near to where you are with full description difficulty and logs of other people who have done it, Thre are loads in towns and Cities wich can be difficult in not being seen, But if you are dragged out shopping it passes the time. If you really take to it i would also recommend becoming a premium member of geocaching.com as although it is free to start later you can download loads of caches to your phone/gps and have them availlable with no signal. One last tip! When joining geocaching. com Make your name as short as poss, Some of the log sheets in the caches are tiny and on a cold wet day it is a pain trying to write a long name, Some dont realise/think till too late, If you do want to ask any questions please ask away but above link gives everything you need to know. Hope you enjoy Bickerton.

Posted

Has anyone attended one of the camping geocaching events?

i will be at my first in july

Posted

We are enjoying the walk series, instead of going for single caches, we only came across them while in the Cotswolds but, now there are a few appearing near us, and we are seeing more of the countryside on our own doorstep. But the Cotswolds is still the favorite area for us to walk.

If anyone would like to know of any of the series near Bury St Edmunds Suffolk let us know.

Posted

if you want to do some walking one near Bury st Eds there are 4 at Ickworth house national trust ,did 3 of them at the weekend must go back for number 4.think its over 2 miles in total

Posted

Well I am a bit hamstrung with some caches when I'm on my own but I try to get my scooter where I can get a few caches

in fact I managed to acquire 7 more yesterday (and suffered later through over exertion) but I am now up to 85 finds

brilliant excuse for a Geek to go outdoors

Posted

After a season of poor health last year, ( probably only did a dozen or so ) this year hope to get back in the swing, Think our count is about five hundred ??? BUT we do have to look at the difficulty nowLOL. Is it just me but ---- on trying to renew my membership it would seem the Fee has really rocketed £ 25 I seem to remember our first was about £6. Seems to be everything, As a tip when we go to our seasonal for the summer I always alter my home address in Geocaching to a postcode near van. You get sent new near to you caches and a lot more relevant searches Etc, Just change back when back at brick home,

1 person likes this

Posted

Fishman I have not paid at £25 not liable to either but I do enjoy the chase even from my mobility scooter OK there are some I can't get without help

Posted

At one time it really was a brilliant advantage being a member,More caches , notifications, newsletters , and on and on, However now seems a bit much to me,

Posted

At one time it really was a brilliant advantage being a member,More caches , notifications, newsletters , and on and on, However now seems a bit much to me,

Those are still available to members but I just don't have the money

I use my Smartphone Apps to find the caches too -

There are those stuck up people who think to do Caching you have to have a hand held GPS Unit and that Smartphones are ruining the Sport and they pay their membership as if it's the law

Well that tough on them isn't it

Had another day out yesterday found 4 out of 5 I looked for and dropped of a TB

1 person likes this

Posted

you are right some do take it too seriously,IE hundreds a day, Most we ever did was twenty odd on a bit of a circuit in North Yorks BUT nearly got myself into trouble with having a bad heart Etc The Mrs was ready to phone for an Ambulance but managed to get back to car, Even the doggy had to be lifted in, So lesson learned dont bite off more than you can chew, This old age is utter crap and seems to catch up quicker and quicker., But as an excuse for a bit of safe exersize it is superb, We have taken to doing a few naughty ones using the 4x4 on the moors tracks etc, Had some superb picnics etc but have to be as correct as poss. We do enjoy some of the city center ones where it is full of mugglers and then the dog is priceless LOL. But we have found you develop an eye and sometimes know roughly just where to look, We did own a good few trackables (inc one on our jeep not spotted in two years) but lots go missing and thats dissapointing, Happy caching mate, Might bump into each other one day if you get to North Yorks.

Posted

I know what you mean about over doing it sad2.gif

So far our planned caching follows the list of camping this year but we have also go a couple of days in Blackpool soon too

as for developing a nose I have a little trick using these smartphone apps the Locus one has a radar which is brilliant too

Posted

I hope everyone knows it's International Geocaching Day today

lots of events all over the country

Posted

I joined some years ago whilst in France after seeing a couple on our site avidly and enthusiastically talking about it. We went with them on a search and our combined efforts took us to the cache . Great fun and taxing the grey matter. We found it in the wall of a castle a small tobacco tin.  The prize Wes in fact nothing!! Apart from signing the small note book in the tin. But the search was worth it and on return to the uk I joined and cot clues to several locations in our area. One in fact was in the Wicksteed Park --- half a mile from home. Surprisingly we spent some weeks trying to unravel the clues. Eventually something clicked and we found it with no trouble - and couldn't understand why we couldn't see the clues --- but that is what is all about. The working out the clues and the chase and then the find.

We have done about ten now and found but have tried many more.

We have also placed one which to date hasn't been found.

Just join and have a go.

Maurice