Carver AR2-1 mover relay?

Question

Posted

I have a failed relay on my motor mover control panel, does anyone know where to source such an item, Im pretty sure I can repair this thing. One of the motors refuses to reverse however if I swap the wiring it will reverse using the other relays on the board just need to suss out which relay has failed.

22 answers to this question

Posted

I have a failed relay on my motor mover control panel, does anyone know where to source just the relay, Im pretty sure I can repair this thing. One of the motors refuses to reverse however if I swap the wiring it will reverse using the other relays on the board just need to suss out which relay has failed.

Posted

any chance of a picture ? of the inside of the control board

Posted

The relay I require is HG4185C 012-1Z4 any idea where I can source one 60/80Amp rated.

Posted

Pretty sure?

I doubt it, the relay connections are solid copper and take an heck of a lot of heat to melt the solder, on top of that, there are four of them to be heated simultaneously plus the pair of coil connections

Worse, the holes are 'plated through the hole' so if you don't do it right you pull the plating off and ruin the pcb!

On the subject of the smaller coil connections, measure the resistance between on the faulty one, 320 ohms I think but the same as the other relays.

If that checks out, (which I'm sure it will or you'd get a 'short to earth' fault signal), the relay will switch on or the electronic control has failed, if it is switching then it could be burnt contacts, you can get the lid off to check with a pair of pipe grips!

Grab the lid on the top edges and snap it back and forward and it will pop off.

I do have few relays left but as I said, far from easy to change unless you know how?!

Posted

duplicate post

Posted

Hello Group,

I can see a couple of relating to Carver issues, so will try not to upset by repeating.

Q/ Does anyone know the general cause of ' six flash fault' (safety relay fault) ?

We managed to reset the system, tighten and reload a the front wires, disconnected the battery and prayed a little..

Should this come back - some advise would be welcome.

Thank you.

Posted

hi carverguru i too require a hg4185c relay just wondered if you still have one cheers mike

Posted

I do but same applies, can you remove the old one safely and without damage to the pcb?

Posted

thanks for getting back to me gary i had an early grounding in soldering,wiring etc ina television shop where we repaired and rented back tvs out ,it would be my risk only if i purchased one from you and i wrecked pcb many thanks for getting back to me regards mick

Posted

all sorted A&R electronic developments superb many thanks original makers of motor mover done within 3 days web site rsol@electronics.co.uk

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi

By chance ro you have any of the HG4185C relays still? I have managed to remove the old one (coil open circuit) and need a replacement, any help much appreciated. Mike G.

Posted

Gary,

Are you still repairing these ECBs or should I try A&R? I have the 3 red lights denoting 'short to chassis'.

Posted

I sent my ecb off to A&R and 48 hours after it arrived back on my doorstep all fixed. £61 plus the cost of sending it and its fixed. Beats buying a new one!

Posted

I do but same applies, can you remove the old one safely and without damage to the pcb?

Hello Gary,

It would be better, if you provide the procedure.:)

Posted (edited)

I had two relays fail.  The coils had failed open circuit for no apparent reason - this is an unusual failure in relays, usually the contacts burn...

I replaced them with relays from RS components: DG85C-7011-75-1012, RS part number 915-6663 £2.90 each plus VAT and post. BUT You do need to be VERY competent to de-solder the faulty relays from the board as the copper area is substantial and you need to clean off the solder near perfectly from 11 pins to ensure the through hole plating of the PCB is not ripped away.  Anything more than a gentle pressure means you are not de-soldered adequately and the board will be rendered unusable.   (Possibly you could chop the top of the relay off (with a Dremel type tool?) and so de-solder one relay leg at a time - but I haven't tried that myself..) 

To find a faulty relay, use an ohm meter.  Disconnected from battery and motors - ALWAYS isolate the battery first! Take a photo of the wiring before disconnecting! The coils measure around 80 to 100 ohm (really you are checking it is not open circuit - swap the meter connections to ensure it is not open in on direction only (there is a diode across the coil inside the chip that drives them)), and the "NC" (means normally) closed contact should be shorted with no power applied.  The "NO" (means normally open) contact should read open circuit with no power applied.  You can get the pin locations from the data sheet on RS.

If the radio is deaf, check soldering is still good on the board, check aerial wire is not shorted in the little clamp, and finally try a new receiver module - AM-RRQ3-433P,  RS part number 860-7233.  To de-solder the old receiver, bend it back and forth to snap it off and then de-solder one pin at a time.

I hope this helps, but if you aren't REALLY good with soldering (I have a hot air station, desoldering station, solder wick/braid de-soldering pump AND a choice of soldering irons and still struggled!), use the repair company mentioned in an earlier reply.  

As ever - if your repairs go wrong, it's not my fault!! :-)

Andy

Edited by F1Andy
Add swap meter connections when checking coil resistance

Posted

You have some posh kit Andy, how long did it take to change the pair?

Thing is I've supplied relays in the passed and even got them back from Quote; 'I have a workshop full of electronics engineers'..... unable to do it!.

Problem then is people send board back with relay and expect me to fix it, so I simply warn people and when I then get undamaged board I don't charge anywhere near £60+P&P to fix it either.

As for why coil fails, it;s a mechanical problem and almost always one of the two opposite end to 12v supply

1 person likes this

Posted

:wine:

Good to see you're still about Gary !

How's tricks ?

We've still got the kids at home but Jackie decided we needed a puppy so we got this little beast 2.5 years ago ...

:wine::wine::wine:

:england:

Prettiest Bitch.jpg

Posted (edited)

likewise to you Bob, being January and my posting times, you might guess we are currently GMT+7 doing the same old same old here in sunny Pattaya! :jump:

As for kids, ours all left home long ago but not very far, still got Katie now married next door but two! Mind you, now up to 5 grandkids from Alfie13 coming on 20!, to Joseph who is five. Not forgetting George six who already lives for Forest, season ticket holder and plays football for the local under 7's, that leaving Princesses Ayva 10 and Alissa 8 doing a fine job holding their own representing the fairer sex :kiss22: 

Only bad news is, Ollie is no longer with us and consequently we've had no real interest in the van for four years!! 

Edited by gary
addition

Posted

:wine:

Sorry to hear about Ollie :(

Despite being a confirmed cat person I can't really see us being without a dog for the rest of our able bodied years - besides being entertaining Isla makes sure we get at least a little bit of exercise every day !   She goes hyper the moment the van turns up outside and loves going away which won't be happening that much this year as we're making a meal of our 40th wedding anniversary with a few trips away sans van.

:wine::wine::wine:

:England:

1 person likes this

Posted

FYI Gary, are you still able to replace relays in carver control units as per your post above?

Posted

Short answers yes, I still do them as and when they crop up, direct contact is best by phone 07901 544431