Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

230v LED reading lamp

16 posts in this topic

Posted

My son is becoming a keen reader and while we’re keen to encourage him we're concerned about his eyesight, as he has started waking early and tries to read under poor quality light (illuminating world globe).

He's only 6 so I want to get him an LED lamp mainly so that if it falls over it won't set fire to his bedroom). I'm a bit paranoid about it as a friend of mine set fire to his bedroom a few years ago when his duvet landed on the lamp in his sleep. He was almost killed by the smoke.

I've had a good look on Amazon but they all seem to be battery powered (no good). Ideally I'd like a lamp that was LED, mains powered and clipped on to something (so that he can clip it under his bunk bed and take it away when we use the caravan.

It would ideally be the equivalent of 40-60watts. Can anyone suggest anything that might fit the bill?

Posted

wine.gif

Buy a suitable clip on light from Ikea or one of the big DIY chains and pick up an LED lamp for it online - simples !

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

:England:

Posted

Thanks all - problem solved. Knew I could rely on some advice from you lot.

Posted

Just my thought but I'm not sure I'd want youngster using a mains powered lamp, battery powered LED offers good light output and long battery life.

Posted

wine.gif

That seems a bit 'nanny state' TBH - if the childs old enough to read then I'd expect them to be able to understand the dangers of electricity, after all we're talking about a normal mass produced light not something knocked together in the shed !

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

Posted

Just my thought but I'm not sure I'd want youngster using a mains powered lamp, battery powered LED offers good light output and long battery life.

Thanks for your concern, but he's able to plug in his Nintendo DS and use a PC, so I'm not too worried about him switching a light on.

1 person likes this

Posted

wine.gif

That seems a bit 'nanny state' TBH - if the childs old enough to read then I'd expect them to be able to understand the dangers of electricity, after all we're talking about a normal mass produced light not something knocked together in the shed !

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

What if he is wanting to read "The idiots guide to electricity".

Ahaaaa....nobody thought of that.

By the end of the book he can wire up his own lights.

Posted

wine.gif

He won't be able to - you've got it and you're only on page 4 !tongue.png

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

Posted

Thanks for your concern, but he's able to plug in his Nintendo DS and use a PC, so I'm not too worried about him switching a light on.

Isnt it switching it off thats the concernrolleyes3.gifrolleyes3.gifrolleyes3.gif

Posted

Isnt it switching it off thats the concernrolleyes3.gifrolleyes3.gifrolleyes3.gif

No. lol.gif

Posted

Lidls have led 12volt desk lights in at the moment (transformer type), also 230v led bulbs idea_1.gif

Posted

wine.gif

wine.gifwine.gifwine.gif

England.gif

I hear what you are saying and don't want to appear 'nanny state' but in relation to electrics and young family I have concerns. Understanding the dangers of electricity is something many adults can't get to grips with so the thought that a youngster can fully understand the invisible dangers of 220volts is something that doesn't sit comfortably in my mind (free country each to his own and all that).

In my house there are 3 other 'people', two grown up children and a middle age adult. I can't tell you the problems I have getting them to understand the potential dangers of letting the cable on their hair straighteners get all curled up, stretching laptop power supply cables across the room, leaving laptops on the bed (so the cooling fan can't work), twisting the cable on the iron and the vaccum into knots that any boy scout would be proud of.

If its jsut a light on a desk then fine but if there is any element of portability required I'd steer clear of the mains ...

Posted

Why not just give him an LED head-torch for reading in his bedroom if your concerned about any possible fire risk.They give excellent light and battery last a while or use rechargeable ones, I use them for tying small hooks onto fishing line at night and my eyesight quite poor but I can see with the head-torch no problem.

Posted

I have one of these that i use in the van when painting ...... excellent bit of kit

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard