Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ways of installing a hand winch in a driveway

Question

Posted

Does anyone have any ideas on installing a manual handwinch in a driveway to pull a caravan up it?

The driveway is straight and runs from the pavement to the back garden where there is a garage with a solid raft type concrete floor. I thought the best way would be to mount it in the garage on the floor, but I would need quite a length of cable to reach to the road at the front, about 60 feet. So I reckon a length of rope and the winch cable would do that. The caravan only needs to be pulled up the first 20 feet or so, the the ground is level beside the house.

Reversing it with the car is OK, but the initial 90 degree reverse is on full lock, so to speak, and uphill due to the narrow road I'm on. It is impossible to reverse the van downhill into the drive due to the wall between my drive and the neighbour. The idea in my head is to stop the caravan outside, on the road, handbrake on, this is on a slope, and take it off the car. Then swivel it round by 90 degrees so it is pointing beam end first at the drive. Then attach rope etc. and crank it up the drive.

Where and how to attach a windlass style hand winch is probably the biggest problem, as I'd like access to the drive with the car too, once I've dragged the 'van out of the way.

16 answers to this question

Posted

I had a similar problem on my last house.

Can't you fit a front towbar to the car and drive it into position?

Posted

I did this for my dad years ago and if your interested, still have the hand winch and bracket, all it needs is a short 50x50mm steel socket sunk into the concrete.

He used to park the van on the lawn and after attaching the cable it would effortlessly pull the van backward and uphill turning through 90 degrees into the garage, then dad could push it manually thorough the back of the garage into it's storage spot.

Apart from the clicking from the winch, it and dad would be out of sight at the back of the garage, passers-by would sometimes stare in wonder at this seemingly self propelled caravan reversing!

Long before motor movers of course LOL

Posted

Over several years I've gone from winch to Mr. Shifta then for the past 8 years a motor mover. I bought a winch from Towsure and welded up a plate attached to a 2ft length of scaffold tube. The winch was bolted to the plate The scaffold tube sank into a socket set in the concrete. The winch cable was attached to an old towball.

Posted

I would not mount the winch on the floor as it would impede access. Drill the floor and fit eye bolts. Use steel cable(s) made to an appropriate length between the eye bolts and winch. All can be neatly stowed away when not required, leaving the garage floor clear.

Posted

Get a motor mover

Posted

Get a motor mover

I think that one's occurred to most of us, usually followed by the realisation that we can think of much more entertaining ways of spending well over 500 quid.

Posted

I think that one's occurred to most of us, usually followed by the realisation that we can think of much more entertaining ways of spending well over 500 quid.

Ive had some entertainment watching people with motor movers and Ive probably entertained a few myself.

I used to mess about with a winch (before MMs) so I know its a PITA.

Seriously............get a Mover

Posted

Initial thoughts are be VERY careful what you use on the winch, I would say steel only, If the line broke the consequences could be terrible. Also might be worth looking at machine mart, Ebay Etc see if you can pick up a cheap 12v or whatever winch,

Posted

My brother went the winch route and in the end bought a mover and in the end bought a enduro2 mover which we fitted 2 weeks ago and in his words"I should have bought this a year ago its the best money I have spent for a while"

Posted

If you do go down the winch route, have a think about the worst case scenario of the cable/bracket/winch breaking as the van is threequarters up the slope. On another forum I suggested a length of 4x2 laid right across immediately behind the wheels as a chock. Fasten a piece of rope to each end, then tie each free rope end to the front grab handles. The mobile chock will be pulled up the slope with the caravan, and will NEVER be more than a couple of inches behind the tyres, so a runaway van can't bounce over it. I haven't worked out what to do on the return journey, though! Best have a helper each side pulling the 4x2 chock down the slope as you wind the cable out.

Posted

I have such a winch.

I offered it my lad months ago but it's still here.

If you're interested (and he confirms he doesn't want it) you can have it for free (which is how I got it).

Only other thought is the length of the cable vs your reqt!

Let me know if you are interested and I'll measure it.

Although could you not fit an anchor point just after the first uphill 20 feet section of the drive.

G.

P.S. Only other problem is I am the southcoast and your "location flag" suggests you might be a way away!

Posted

If you do go down the winch route, have a think about the worst case scenario of the cable/bracket/winch breaking as the van is threequarters up the slope. On another forum I suggested a length of 4x2 laid right across immediately behind the wheels as a chock. Fasten a piece of rope to each end, then tie each free rope end to the front grab handles. The mobile chock will be pulled up the slope with the caravan, and will NEVER be more than a couple of inches behind the tyres, so a runaway van can't bounce over it. I haven't worked out what to do on the return journey, though! Best have a helper each side pulling the 4x2 chock down the slope as you wind the cable out.

Good idea, for the downward trip how about tying the same rope on the REAR grab handles so it drags the wood slightly IN FRONT of the wheels giving the same result

Posted

Good idea, for the downward trip how about tying the same rope on the REAR grab handles so it drags the wood slightly IN FRONT of the wheels giving the same result

Won't work - if the cable snaps the wood will just be pulled along in advance of the wheels.

Posted

Won't work - if the cable snaps the wood will just be pulled along in advance of the wheels.

edited cos your right and i was indeed wrong

Caravan-1.png

Posted

Instead of using steel cable, I would look at using spectron rope. Its amazing stuff. Having used it extensively in the past its very good and at about half the diameter of an equivalent steel rope, you can get much more on a winch. Its not cheap, but in my mind well worth it, and you don't have to oil it once a year like you should do with a steel rope. Its an absolute what not to cut though, which is good as it will put up with a lot of abuse.

Posted

I'm still deliberating on what to do. The only definate thing is a mover is out of the question on a caravan I bought for £600. Due to the long driveway I have, one of you gave me the idea of having two places to put a winch. If I fabricate a winch on a stick that goes into a recess concreted into the drive, I can pull the 'van off the road onto the first part of the drive, put the brakes on, move the winch to the rearmost recess and pull it the rest of the way. This would get rid of the driveway gradient change problem. The first half pull would take the van off the road, the second half would take it past the front of the house into the back to the garage. My other thought was to take it up the first part, but then swing it over to the lawn, so I could still use the drive and garage for the car.

More musing required.

Of course a caravan mover would make this problem obsolete, wouldn't it? Is there a suitable mover for a Swift Corvette 1989/90? Powering the battery is not a problem when in the drive. If only movers were cheaper.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard